Pond Boss
Posted By: thepork creating habitat for lmb in small pond - 06/20/04 10:46 PM
A couple of my buddies and i recently stocked my pond with a bunch of lmb and there really is no habitat for them. there are a couple of overlying trees andthey all gather under them i was wondering what is the best way to provide them a good habitat. such as lillys logs stumps ect. and how can i grow lillys in the pond
thanks guys i appreciate your help
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: creating habitat for lmb in small pond - 06/20/04 11:40 PM
thepork,
Try doing a search for structure. Lots of post on that subject. You will find most of your questions if not all have already been asked & answered here.
After researching some of the great info on this site if you have specific questions come back & ask.
Posted By: Randy H. Re: creating habitat for lmb in small pond - 06/21/04 01:45 AM
I got lilly pads started less than 5 bucks. bought em from WallMart, put em in the mud along the bank and a few weeks later they were up. My understanding is they will expand from 1 to 3 feet per year into the pond.
Posted By: Keven Re: creating habitat for lmb in small pond - 03/29/05 12:30 PM
find a tire shop near you that changes/sells tractor tires. they'll give you all of the old ones you want. i get the biggest tractor tires i can find/handle. also, i love making pvc pipe stake beds. just buy a bunch of t's and pvc pipe and some 90 degree elbows and stick them together. use your elbows to create a rectangle and put the t's in between each corner and run cross sections from one side to the other, put more t's every 6-12 inches apart on your cross pipes and run your vertical pipe up above your water level so you can see where to throw your lure. your hook wont dig into this like it will wood or rubber. the stake beds make excellent vertical structure. baitfish will hang out there and where there is baitfish there will be bass. trucking companies also have old diesel tires they'll give u. good luck
Posted By: Big Jake Re: creating habitat for lmb in small pond - 03/31/05 06:54 PM
I have just placed structure in my pond and have found that the best way is to cut branches about 10 to 15 ft long. I like to take the branchy end of the brance and turn one to the left and take another one and turn the busy end to the right. You can continue to add branched according to how big you want the brush pile. I then take 1 cinder block and attatch it to the limbs in the middle. I secure the cinder block with a 36 inch plastic wire tie. If you want to place the structure in deep water place the block at the end of the structure and the branchy end will float up. This works great for LMB and is supper easy to do as long as you have a jon boat to load the stucture on to.
© Pond Boss Forum