Pond Boss
Posted By: traphunter Catfish Spawning habitat - 04/07/04 01:25 AM
I know people say catfish need moving water to spawn, but is there anything I can put in my pond to increase their chance of a productive spawn? Thanks,

.............. SeTH
Posted By: Andy Jacob Re: Catfish Spawning habitat - 04/07/04 05:34 AM
What I have been told by our local DFG biologist is that Catfish want a den roughly 18" in diameter and 3-4' long, closed on one end and a little obscured on the other - yet still allows current to permeate the structure. This may or may not jive with the resident experts on this site. Think "noodling."
Posted By: traphunter Re: Catfish Spawning habitat - 04/07/04 12:12 PM
Hey thanks for the info. Only problem is my pond has no current. Another question, Would 5 gallon buckets also work?
Posted By: lee Re: Catfish Spawning habitat - 04/07/04 12:21 PM
I've allways read that cat's do not spawn,i have found this not true in my pond.i see thousands of them every june/july in my pond.try throwing 4"pvc pipe about 3-5' long in pond with weight, i think this works because that's about the only think i have in ny pond other than standing tree's i put in.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Catfish Spawning habitat - 04/08/04 12:38 AM
Cats will readily spawn in ponds if they have a cavity to go into and lay eggs. Some use garbage cans with the lid end half off. Large tires with rim off and laid on bottom will also be used. Anything where they can get into that resembles a cavity or tunnel. Large diameter pipe (8"-20") works.

Newly hatched catfish are very vulnerable to being eaten by all types of other fish. Large bgill will even feed on catfish fry. Larger bass 2 - 4 lbs can eat catfish up to 7"-8" long. If there is not adequate weed growth or other dense cover, all or almost all young cat fish will be eaten before they get 8" long.
Posted By: traphunter Re: Catfish Spawning habitat - 04/08/04 05:01 PM
Thanks for your help.
© Pond Boss Forum