Pond Boss
Posted By: IndianaMatt Need advice for 1 acre pond - 09/10/19 01:25 PM
I just finished adding most of the lay downs and trees. What else do you think I need? I still plan on 2 more bluegill spawning areas. I have more big rip rap left to use. I plan on stocking fhm, bg, and res this upcoming spring and then adding hs and lmb the following spring. Will also be supplementing golden shiner. Any advice on how I could improve habitat, spawning areas, ambush points, would be greatly appreciated. Still need to concrete everything down.

Here is what I've added so far
https://youtu.be/DVvnlLEyyps
Posted By: jludwig Re: Need advice for 1 acre pond - 09/10/19 01:59 PM
I would rip rap the entire dam to prevent erosion. Also gets the benefit of cover and decent fishing.
Posted By: IndianaMatt Re: Need advice for 1 acre pond - 09/10/19 02:05 PM
Should I use a landscape cloth under it or just set the rip rap in place? I was thinking about doing where the water line will be and about 3 foot lower.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Need advice for 1 acre pond - 09/10/19 03:13 PM
We have success with just placing rip rap. We do above and below the water line. I would do enough to account the majority of water level fluctuations.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Need advice for 1 acre pond - 09/10/19 03:36 PM
I used old carpet under my shoreline rock. I think it will be better than the landscape cloth. Fuzzy side down...

Most carpet stores will have piles of old carpet out back. I like the idea (carpet or landscape fabric) for two reasons...it resists the sinking of the rock and it acts as a weed barrier.
Posted By: ShortCut Re: Need advice for 1 acre pond - 09/10/19 05:17 PM
Noel, my best friend does environmental assessments for banks, insurance companies etc and urged me not to do carpet. Eventually it will breakdown, to an extent, and introduce micro plastics into the food chain. Tires also can leach various chemicals over time.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Need advice for 1 acre pond - 09/10/19 05:27 PM
I would go with carpet if you can get your hands on enough. Much better look in the long run. My old coach used to say "do it right do it light do it wrong do it long".
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Need advice for 1 acre pond - 09/10/19 05:29 PM
Originally Posted By: ShortCut
...introduce micro plastics into the food chain.

That doesn't sound good, I wonder what landscape fabric is made of?
Posted By: IndianaMatt Re: Need advice for 1 acre pond - 09/10/19 06:07 PM
Sounds good.. thanks for the input
© Pond Boss Forum