Pond Boss
Posted By: gregory Porcupin Fish attractors - 06/26/19 04:25 PM
Opinions please if you have them. I have 3 sets of three 5' Porcupine Fish Attractors im putting in my one acre pond, 9 all together. Im thinking 3 different spots. Maybe 3 inline with each other and or the other 2 spots loose clusters of 3 a couple feet apart. I know theirs no right or wrong answer just curious about what others think or have done. Anywho good day all !!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Porcupin Fish attractors - 06/26/19 04:28 PM
What does the pond look like including bottom configuration? Lots in the structure archive on options. Grouped or connecting configurations work best.
Posted By: gregory Re: Porcupin Fish attractors - 06/29/19 03:25 PM
The pond is kinda teardrop-ed shape around 6' deep in the shallow end and 11' in the majority of the open water. Was thinking 3 in a triangular shape in the shallow and off the point. Maybe 3 in a row opposite the spillway. Again i know it comes down to personal choice. Just wandering if putting the 3's close enough to touch one-another or spreading them out might be more attractive to the fish. It's a shame i cant just ask them. LOL i appreciate the interaction !
Posted By: ewest Re: Porcupin Fish attractors - 07/01/19 05:10 PM
In the shallow area I would place the attractors closely so you have dense cover. In the deeper water leave a few feet between the end of the limbs. Triangle configuration works.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92463#Post92463
Posted By: Texasbuckeye Re: Porcupin Fish attractors - 07/07/19 01:55 AM
I got quite a bit of fish/habitat structure and placed in my existing lake. Many porcupine structures, some tree like structures, and other things. I would
Say for certain they have increased the fishability of the lake. We are catching more fish, bigger fish, and enjoying the lake a lot more than prior to placement.
Posted By: MOFishermen Re: Porcupin Fish attractors - 07/08/19 01:51 PM
I have found my Porcupine Structures have worked best when mixed with a few of the tree like structures. The fish seem to travel between the two different types. Agree with Texasbuckeye that fish are bigger and fish seem to hang in these areas.
Posted By: Jeff Calvin Re: Porcupin Fish attractors - 07/09/19 04:28 PM
Put 12 of these puppies in my 1-1/4 acre pond. Made them 6' in diameter by using 3" white PVC legs and weighted each with a brick. I created two 'reefs' that contained 3 of these 6 foot balls strung along side by side = 18' of linear reef each.

The reefs run parallel to the shoreline in the deeper end of my pond. Made several other reefs with 2 and several other strategically placed singles.

They are fantastic 'safe havens' for fish and they congregate there = fantastic fishing near them.

Do it! You won't be sorry. BUT, don't allow swimmers near them as the PVC can do major body/skin damage.
Posted By: Jeff Calvin Re: Porcupin Fish attractors - 07/10/19 04:31 PM
Sorry - typo; The 6 foot diameter Porcupine ball is made by using 3 foot lengths of 1 inch diameter PVC stuck into all the bosses in the center ball hub of the Porcupine.
© Pond Boss Forum