Pond Boss
Posted By: RAH Built it and they will come - 11/04/18 11:00 AM
Settled for this old guy. Grey and teeth worn down to nothing. Demoted to an 11-pt by battle. Subtle grunt turned him and he came inside 10 yds. We have bigger ones, but thought this cull made more sense (at least to me). Bigger guys can breed the does this year.

Been working on improving the place for wildlife for over a quarter century.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Built it and they will come - 11/04/18 03:12 PM
Nice deer, and a good one to take. I'll try the same scenario this year.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Built it and they will come - 11/04/18 03:35 PM
That’s good management! Well done.

PS there are some taxidermist that can repair those broken tines
Posted By: RAH Re: Built it and they will come - 11/04/18 04:03 PM
Looks like the one that broke off was a split tine like the G2&3 tines on the other side. Too many deer to start racking up taxidermy bills, but If I crack 170", I might make an exception. Big enough to fit in with my nicer ones as is:

Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Built it and they will come - 11/04/18 11:06 PM
Lots of good memories I bet
Posted By: Mfitzs70 Re: Built it and they will come - 11/05/18 11:31 AM
I'd leave the tine as is...theres a story in there
Posted By: RAH Re: Built it and they will come - 11/05/18 01:26 PM
I really do enjoy deer hunting. The quiet and the challenges. Best memories are of wildlife seen other than deer while in the woods. Bobcat chasing a squirrel up a neighboring tree, eagles landing in my tree, mink chasing down a rabbit...
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Built it and they will come - 11/05/18 03:46 PM
Rod, congrats! Do ya figure him as a 4 1/2 yr?
I would still like to come down and chew the fat and see your place. Hopefully next May if the invite is still open.
Posted By: RAH Re: Built it and they will come - 11/05/18 04:04 PM
I think that he was definitely in decline. Do not think that he would have survived the winter with such worn teeth, but I cannot be more specific on his age. Glad for you to visit our place. May is a nice time of year.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Built it and they will come - 11/05/18 04:58 PM
Great buck RAH! Congrats!!!
Posted By: RAH Re: Built it and they will come - 11/05/18 07:25 PM
Thank you. One side of the rack was OK. Without the broken tine, he would have been pretty good but not as good as at least 2 others walking around.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Built it and they will come - 11/05/18 08:44 PM
Congrats! We have deer on our property, but I haven't seen a buck that big.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Built it and they will come - 11/05/18 09:59 PM
Nice animal. He will taste better if hes not all rutted out. Some will get so worked over there is not a bit of fat on them.
Posted By: RAH Re: Built it and they will come - 11/05/18 11:48 PM
He'll be tough, but that is why they invented marinating... We are lucky to have good genetics in our area, and our place now acts like a magnet for does, so some of the up and coming bucks make it through those at a different place in their hunting saga. Saw one of the big tens today back in one of the thick spruce groves we planted back 20-25 years ago. Did not get a good look at him though. Hope that he stays close during the gun season (wishful thinking if the rut is on).
Posted By: Adam K Re: Built it and they will come - 06/24/19 08:05 AM
Rah,I don't know you, but the fact you said "settled" make me wanna punch you right in the teeth smile. But seriously, very nice deer.I would take a deer like that any day of the week.
Posted By: ewest Re: Built it and they will come - 06/24/19 03:07 PM
Harvest is necessary just like with a pond. I just hope no one decides all us old guys need to be harvested ! grin
© Pond Boss Forum