Pond Boss
Posted By: bassman_67 structure update - 05/01/17 12:52 AM
Ok so now I am making for structure by taking 5 gallon buckets and drilling holes and sticking flexible pvc pipe in it. Going good so far. I am going to do five buckets. Also we are putting in 50 CC 8-11in, 350 bluegill 3-4in and 2000 minnows. I am wondering I am building the structure for the bluegill do I need to add anymore for the CC? I already have two 15ft tubes in the pond do I need to add anymore?
Posted By: TGW1 Re: structure update - 05/01/17 12:22 PM
bassman, buckets would be considered cover, structure would be something like a hump on the pond bottom, or a ditch or a ledge. And as far as how much to add, maybe as much as 20 to 30% of the pond area in cover. example might be 3 acre pond would have 1 acre of cover. It depends on goals for the pond. Have some fun with it. I have built quite a bit of cover from a lot of scrap stuff around the farm.
Posted By: ewest Re: structure update - 05/01/17 03:49 PM
Often the terms are used interchangeably. Suggest looking at the archive with pics which should help. Be sure to have some vertical structure/cover (pond bottom to top).
Posted By: Omaha Re: structure update - 05/03/17 12:09 PM
Any pictures of the habitat you could share with us? What depth did you place the buckets? They sound like the "spiders" I built for mine.
Posted By: RC51 Re: structure update - 05/03/17 05:16 PM
Yeah always remember this also. Bob Lusk was talking about habitat and cover and he said to try and put your cover in where fish can go from one area of cover to another and not have to swim to far. As Bob called it a fish highway... Now how far apart exactly I am not sure, but I have my brush piles about 20 or so feet from each other in areas of 2 or 3 piles.

Another example would be my dock and floating feeder.

1 have a brush pile out In deeper water, then my feeder between that and my new dock I just put in. I consider the floating feeder cover. The floating feeder is about 30 feet between the brush pile and the dock. I already have all kinds of smaller fish under my dock they are loving that!! Anyway just my 2 cents worth. Actually I guess my 1 cent worth the other was Bob's.... lol

RC
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: structure update - 05/03/17 05:23 PM
I used 3 to 5 gallon tree buckets I obtained free at the local nursery. There are about 14 of them strung facing bottom to bottom and top to top on a rope and weighted down with bricks. They make a chain about 20 feet long in from 4 to 6 feet of water at full pool, but commonly in 3 to 5 FOW as it doesn't stay at full pool long.
© Pond Boss Forum