Pond Boss
Posted By: Andy G How to connect pallets to cinder blocks? - 09/12/16 09:59 PM
I am working on different types of cover and structure for under my pond. I have aquired many pallets and cinderblocks and my question is this... what is the best way to tie or somehow secure the cinder blocks to the pallets? At first i was thinking just wire but would it just rust away? Also how do you guys feel about setting the pallets on an upturned block to where the pallets float a foot above the bottom? Or what ways have yal seen that is better than this? Anything would help. Thanks all.
Posted By: snrub Re: How to connect pallets to cinder blocks? - 09/12/16 11:55 PM
Couple ways I have not tried yet but I also have some pallets and was thinking of using concrete blocks for the ballast.

One way would be with giant zip ties. If you go to a heading and plumbing commercial supply store they have them in bags of 100 that are used to zip tie insulated ducting. I think they are about 2.5-3' long and very heavy. We use them on the farm all the time to tie up hydraulic hoses on farm machinery as well as for other uses.

Surprisingly, they are pretty cheap to buy when bought in bulk at a wholesale store. You can get them at the big box stores in smaller quantities but at a drastically higher price. Probably buy 100 for the price of 25 at a box store. Don't worry about having too many. Once you have them on hand, you will find lots of uses for them.

Another way I thought of is to just encase the blocks within the pallets. Whatever structure you make, just make it in some sort of box that boxes the blocks inside.

Another way would be to run a scrap 2x4 through the hole in the concrete block, then using another 2x4 block as a spacer, screw the 2x4 onto the pallet.

Have not done it. Just the ways I thought I would when I get around to it.
The pallets will waterlog and sink on their own in time and you won't need cinderblocks at all. But if you use the cinderblocks to get them to the bottom right away and keep them there, then I agree with snrub, get them to create more cover inside the pallet structure where crayfish and little fish can hide in the crooks and crannies.

If you used cheap baling twine or even thin mechanics wire to hold the structure together, it only has to hold until the wood is waterlogged (say 6 months at most depending on type of wood in the pallet) and then if it rots/rusts no worries, the pallets will stay together on their own.

The cinderblocks are really nice to have in areas by themselves for block piles, or even arranged in bunkers or open front igloos for SMB spawning habitat.
Posted By: RER Re: How to connect pallets to cinder blocks? - 09/13/16 12:29 PM
I just used nylon rope
Posted By: ewest Re: How to connect pallets to cinder blocks? - 09/13/16 04:22 PM
Trot line string.
Buy a spool of weedeater line. .065" is easiest to work with, but .080" will do. Won't rot, degrade, rust, it's strong, and it's cheap.
© Pond Boss Forum