Pond Boss
At long last, the dozer will be at my place as soon as it is dry enough to run...perhaps this week! I have built a number of gray PVC structures that I intend to place in the pond once it is dug. For the most part, these structures are about 4'-5' tall, and about 3' in diameter.

My question is how deep to place them. It seems to me that I would want the top of these structures about 4' below the surface. Does that sound right?
Sounds OK. However, other structure can be done while digging. Consider some trenches leading from deep to shallow water.
Agree with DD1. The biggest structure (real and potential) is the pond bottom. Changes in bottom structure ( cuts , humps , ridges. , trenches etc) next to added structure/cover ( pvc tree , Xmas tree pole structure , tree limbs/stumps etc ) are best. Several together are best IMO - like a hump with 2 pic trees. See the structure archive for examples . Great article in the current PB mag!!!!

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92463#Post92463

Be sure to have some at all depths bottom to surface. Fish like to be able to move up and down in the water column .
I have read through the archives in the past, but will be refreshing myself with those here yet this week. Just some other structure that I plan to incorporate too..

1. I will also have the dozer leave some humps, that I plan to top off with larger gravel/rocks too. 2. I will have him cut a couple of channels to create drop offs and trenches. 3. I have some old concrete from an old barn foundation that I will have him push down into the pond when he is done. I plan on stacking these old pieces somewhat to create cracks and crevises too.

What does, "Sounds OM" mean? Thanks for the replies and advice.
What it means is that I can't spell 2 letter words like OK.
Dave, it's good to have different size rocks, trees, etc for structure. Shelters different size prey, which is important for the LMB diet as it grows.

Sounds like you are already doing that...
© Pond Boss Forum