Pond Boss
Posted By: Hook Pvc project I completed - 04/03/16 03:50 AM
Hope the pics show up. A fun little pvc project I worked on. It's gonna be a fish magnet.
http://s90.photobucket.com/user/probass/slideshow/Pvc%20trees
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/03/16 12:03 PM
Very creative, bet they should work fine. Did you just make the holes a little smaller than the pipe or did you use something like silicone to hold em in place? Do you plan to attach weights? Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/03/16 12:14 PM
Looks cool keep us posted how the fish take to it
Posted By: Hook Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/04/16 01:10 AM
I used 1/2" pvc. I Drilled a 3/4 hole, outer hole needed to be reamed it a lil bigger and the inner lining of the pipe was a little thinner so I just hammered the pvc through. The pipe fit surprisingly snug. I'm not sure how im gonna secure them in place yet, I have a few ideas. They still have 1/2 acre left to dig so I'll decide how and where I'll place them. I'll post pics when I get to that point.
Posted By: ewest Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/04/16 03:02 PM
Nice work and a new idea. Will add to the archive on structure . Thanks.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/04/16 04:14 PM
Looks awesome! Be sure to drill some vent holes to let trapped air out between the smooth wall and corrugations. Couldn't you secure it by driving a couple side lengths of PVC sections into the clay? Driven in at angles should stop lift. You could also use a union on the as a stop for the anchor length to keep the assembly from lifting off the anchor pipes...?
Posted By: bassmaster61 Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/05/16 06:37 PM
Would you mind me asking what the cost of that large corrugated pipe was.....my guess is it was expensive. I just made a 5' X 5' prototype "Georgia Cube" (Google it for pics, instructions, etc.)using 1 inch PVC and it took an entire 100 foot spool of 4 inch corrugated drain pipe to "fill it in" so to speak....that translated to about $60 worth of materials (PVC, drain pipe, glue, galvanized screws)....that is too expensive IMO.
I think I can build 5' X 3' cubes for around $38/$39 each all in...of course you get more efficient the more of these types of things you build. Trying to reduce costs is a focus since I need at least 15 of these PVC structures.
Posted By: Hook Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/06/16 12:13 AM
Originally Posted By: bassmaster61
Would you mind me asking what the cost of that large corrugated pipe was.....my guess is it was expensive. I just made a 5' X 5' prototype "Georgia Cube" (Google it for pics, instructions, etc.)using 1 inch PVC and it took an entire 100 foot spool of 4 inch corrugated drain pipe to "fill it in" so to speak....that translated to about $60 worth of materials (PVC, drain pipe, glue, galvanized screws)....that is too expensive IMO.
I think I can build 5' X 3' cubes for around $38/$39 each all in...of course you get more efficient the more of these types of things you build. Trying to reduce costs is a focus since I need at least 15 of these PVC structures.

Fortunately someone gave me that pipe. I'm sure it was costly.
Posted By: Hook Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/06/16 03:10 AM

Not sure what I'm gonna do with there but they will be structure with pvc ! An old 600 gal tank 10ft tall and a broken port-a-cool.
Posted By: snrub Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/06/16 03:13 AM
To weight it you could tie two concrete blocks together with 2-3 ft. of rope between, then just drape the rope over the culvert once in place. Blocks will just add to the structure and are cheap.
Posted By: JKB Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/06/16 03:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Hook
Originally Posted By: bassmaster61

Fortunately someone gave me that pipe. I'm sure it was costly.

Free is always good!
Posted By: Hook Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/09/16 01:06 PM

Another one done
Posted By: Hook Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/09/16 10:52 PM

Port-a-cool is filled with dirt, i will put some sort of structure on top.
Posted By: Hook Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/11/16 01:51 AM

Cut the water tank in half and filled it with dirt.
Posted By: Hook Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/15/16 01:24 PM

Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/15/16 03:59 PM
That top barrel is awesome. I bet it is a FHM magnet. I bet if you slid in some flat sections (think of floors in a building) separated by about 12" inside that barrel that even some perch would be tempted to go in those inviting holes and leave some egg strands behind.
Posted By: Urmetz Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/15/16 05:33 PM
Wow nice structures, should provide your fish with some really good habitat. Good luck on your new pond smile
Posted By: 2Old2Soon Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/15/16 06:28 PM
I like the low-profile units in that last pic, with my water level fluctuations, I can't have it looking like a junk yard during low water. I don"t want to give her ANOTHER reason to fuss at me!
Posted By: stickem' Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/15/16 07:15 PM
Hook,
Nice structure & habitat you built!!! Great ideas!!!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/16/16 01:29 PM
looks good hook, I enjoy finding stuff to make cover. I have used one of those blue drums and added plant pots attaching them to the sides of the drums. like broken limbs on a tree trunk. And I have used old garden hoses cut into lengths and attached them to the drums.
its fun to mix mash old stuff that lays around or going to the dump.

Tracy
Posted By: ewest Re: Pvc project I completed - 04/16/16 03:18 PM
Nice work !!! Tell us where you will put them.
Posted By: TKD Re: Pvc project I completed - 07/05/16 10:02 PM
Hook, What is the blue piping? Is that a pvc?
Posted By: TheMightyNoah Re: Pvc project I completed - 07/19/16 05:47 PM
Man that is otherworldly and looks awesome. I feel sorry for any random kid that decides to take a dip in your pond...lol.

How to did you secure the PVC to the top of the plastic dome? I am working on a standard PVC tree, but might go with the color stuff from this site:

PVC Pipe and Fittings for Building Stuff
Posted By: Hook Re: Pvc project I completed - 01/30/17 03:33 AM
Originally Posted By: TKD
Hook, What is the blue piping? Is that a pvc?

Yes pvc flexible water line
Posted By: Hook Re: Pvc project I completed - 01/30/17 03:37 AM
Well the rule in this pond is no swimming!! I drilled the holes just a hair smaller an drove in the pipe with a hammer.
Originally Posted By: TheMightyNoah
Man that is otherworldly and looks awesome. I feel sorry for any random kid that decides to take a dip in your pond...lol.

How to did you secure the PVC to the top of the plastic dome? I am working on a standard PVC tree, but might go with the color stuff from this site:

PVC Pipe and Fittings for Building Stuff
Posted By: Linda Robert Re: Pvc project I completed - 12/05/17 09:37 AM
Great work! Thanks for sharing
Posted By: RStringer Re: Pvc project I completed - 12/04/18 03:19 PM
Just found this after I made some of my own. Yours make mine look terrible. I hope my fish are not picky or they will move to your pond LOL. All of your habitat looks nice thanks for sharing. I have some more ideas now.
© Pond Boss Forum