Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame using waterhoses for habitat - 10/28/14 06:43 PM
Am considering concrete a 2 inch pvc pipe in a 5 gal bucket and have it be 4 feet tall. I will drill a lot of holes and have 300 ft of old vinyle waterhose. My question is I realize it will probably kink and hang down but do you think it will work or not be worth all the trouble?? With 300 ft of hose I could make more than plenty of these attractors.Any advise??
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: using waterhoses for habitat - 10/28/14 07:14 PM
Flame

Cedar trees weighted down is a lot easier to get and do than all the work involved in making the other. I put some cedar down near the shoreline and one day there were fish in it. Trees should last prob at least 10 years
Pat W
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: using waterhoses for habitat - 10/28/14 07:22 PM
Some primary benefits using PVC structure is that it is mobile [can remove and replace if necessary], lasts a lifetime, and snags are reduced/eliminated. I wonder if the hose would be snaggy?

Cedars are ubiquitous and free per Pat's suggestion, but can be frustrating to fish around for young anglers [and even some older ones!] due to snags.

I think the hose option would be cool, but maybe see how snaggy it is prior to installing?
Posted By: fish n chips Re: using waterhoses for habitat - 10/28/14 07:42 PM
I would think it depends on how rubbery the vinyl is. If its soft like tires, might snag just as easy. Not the same as PVC. TJ has a good idea of testing it first.
Posted By: esshup Re: using waterhoses for habitat - 10/28/14 08:14 PM
I don't think it would be as droopy and as prone to kinking in water as it is on land.

Somewhere here on the forum (it may be in the structure/fish cover thread in the archives) is a picture of x-mas trees that were placed in a pond. Pictures IIRC were taken at 1, 3, 5 and 10 year intervals to show how they degraded over time. PVC won't do that.
Posted By: Flame Re: using waterhoses for habitat - 10/29/14 10:52 AM
Thanks to all. I have several different water hoses. I will try to use the smoothest texture ones. Good point about snagging. Especially because I like to throw crankbaits a lot.My shallow end to the pond has a lot of 4 foot water. To place all my cover in 5 foot water it would seem it would all "gang up" towards the center of the pond. That's not right is it? My deep end is 12 foot.My 3 tire triangles will only stand about 3 foot high. Should I just use those? Most photos I see of ponds on the forum you cannot see the tops of the habitat. If I make pvc trees only 3 foot tall would that work.?? Seems like if you could see at least a little of the tops it would be easier to fish. What do you think. I need to get all this stuff in this weekend because we have our first big rain coming on next Tuesday. I know its not going to fill the pond but at least I wouldn't have to be working in mud.
Posted By: esshup Re: using waterhoses for habitat - 10/29/14 02:05 PM
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92463#Post92463

That will tell you more than what someone can type.

It depends on what you like to see in a pond. Personally I don't like to see the cover sticking out of the water. Whatever sticks out, the fish can't utilize.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: using waterhoses for habitat - 10/29/14 03:26 PM
If you like throwing cranks, I'd strongly consider PVC if the hose ends up being snaggy on the treble hooks.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: using waterhoses for habitat - 10/30/14 01:35 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Whatever sticks out, the fish can't utilize.

That, and the herons like to use it mad .
© Pond Boss Forum