Pond Boss
Posted By: Tums Deep Water Willows doing well. - 08/22/13 01:43 PM
Since I flooded the area last Sept. the willows in the 15' to 20' water have survived well. I am also not having any problems with any of them trying to start anywhere near the banks from anything floating away. For those that do not know I transplanted some large willow trees into the deep area of my 3ac pond while doing renovations. I done this thinking it would be good vertical structure for the BCP I was planning on stocking. Here is a view from the high ground.

Edit; BTW The Gap between the 1 willow toward the stand pipe and the others is a road I built the first time I renovated this pond in the mid 90's. It has about a 3' elevation above the bottom and a culvert in it for water to pass thru.

Attached picture DeepWater willows 82013.jpg
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 08/22/13 03:46 PM
So the trunk is 15 feet down?? Wow. I didn't know there was a tree that could survive long term like that. That's pretty cool!
Posted By: Zep Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 08/22/13 03:56 PM
WayCool!

Thanks
Posted By: Tums Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 08/22/13 04:15 PM
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
So the trunk is 15 feet down?? Wow. I didn't know there was a tree that could survive long term like that. That's pretty cool!

Yes they have 15' of trunk in the water (it is actually 22' deep in the area next to the one by itself). Some May have wound up on a little higher and less than 15' of trunk under water on the closer side. To give you a size reference I would drive my Tractors (130 to 150 HP) and pans on the road that runs between them. The road is a couple of feet tall and the trees where all taller than the tractors Cabs.

I am just wondering if they will fall over time. Also I have not had any tropical storms or hurricanes yet to see how they handle that.
Posted By: Tums Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 08/22/13 04:16 PM
Nice pic Zep LOL
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 08/22/13 05:59 PM
How's the fishing, great I'll bet? Awesome use of available habitat and even better for the fish. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Tums Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 08/22/13 09:57 PM
PeePaw I have not fished out there yet. I am thinking it will be a BCP hot spot when the time comes to start catching them. I have watched natural feeding activity in the willows though.
Posted By: Crstfr Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 09/03/13 06:09 PM
i thought willows were water hogs?... you not worried about them drinkin so much?... i worry about the one big on on our damn...
Posted By: Tums Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 09/03/13 07:58 PM
Chris, I have an extremely high volume well (500+gpm) on this particular 3 acre pond that makes water no issue. I agree a willow on a dam is not a good thing.
Posted By: Crstfr Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 09/10/13 03:43 PM
yeah... i know.. but i'm afraid if we cut it. could cause leaking..

thanks for your reply... i do agree its great habitat.... i'd pitch a jig right in the middle of it all!!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/12/15 01:08 PM
Tums, I also have willows growing in my pond. I left them there when I built the pond. Mine are setting in 4' of water. I also have a water well for the pond. But it does not have near the volume u have.
I have sunk many a structure in the lakes I fish, Christmas trees, sweet gums, and willows. The willows will hold their leaves for months under water and they really keep the crappie close to the structure. I think you will have a great place to drown a minnow.
Tracy
Posted By: Rainman Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/12/15 01:51 PM
If the willows have leaves out of the water, they will likely live and grow with the branches/trunk under the water developing new roots.

My only complaint with willow oaks are that branches will start new trees in the water, especially at the edges. Like cattails, they can't simply be cut down to kill them and they can become very invasive. They sure are pretty though, make awesome habitat, and are nice and cool to sit under on a hot summer day!
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/13/15 01:55 AM
Rainman
So would you leave the willow or pull them up? My new puddle has a bunch that came up late summer and now with the rain they are in almost 2' water.. There isn't any willows near us at all. I guess those tiny floating in the wind seeds blew in. Probably over a hundred along one side. On the dam they gotta go... The rest pull them or leave em?

Pat
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/13/15 12:31 PM
Pat, I remove every willow that I see. If they are establishing, it will continue each year.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/13/15 01:51 PM
DD1

Dangit man that's not what I wanted to hear! LOL have to wait for warmer water cause a lot are in the water due to wonderful rain. But will get-R-done

Thanks

Pat
Posted By: Rainman Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/14/15 05:54 PM
Pat, they can be highly invasive, and take dedicated management to control. A half inch long twig partially in the water can grow new roots and start a tree...root runners grow too. If I could find a way to control unwanted spreading, I would keep one or two, but that's me,...and if I was unsure I would be able to look for, and kill any seen at early growth stages, I'd eradicate them now.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/14/15 06:18 PM
Thanks I've been pullin them this morning , dang there is a bunch of them
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/14/15 06:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Thanks I've been pullin them this morning , dang there is a bunch of them

Never pulled any so I'm curious. Are they hard to pull? Much of a root system?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/14/15 07:37 PM
1/4" dia and one heck of a root system . Tough even in sandy soil. Doesn't take many and your done
Posted By: CMM Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/14/15 07:57 PM
Pat, for willows near or in the wAter that you want rid of, there is a chemical I had good luck with last year. Now if I could remember it??? 2-4-d maybe??? Someone will pipe in and correct me. Imo, easier than pulling. But, I think you need to wait until they are leafed out. I got good kill with sprayer application. Will have to see if any come back from the dead.

CMM
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/14/15 08:23 PM
CMM

After you killed them, did the little dead stalks stay for a while and provide any temporary cover?
Posted By: CMM Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/14/15 09:29 PM
Bill,

Most of mine were right on the shoreline. So, no, I wouldn't say they were cover. I was only interested in getting rid of them. A few were on the dam. I sure didn't want them there. Good luck!
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/14/15 09:35 PM
CMM
They budding out now and some are in two feet of water... If water comes up more and completely covers them they should die ??
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/14/15 09:39 PM
Pat,

IMO I wouldn't count on that. Willows grow pretty quick. I would think as long as they can "keep their heads" above water, they will survive. Also, see Rainman's post above.
Posted By: CMM Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/14/15 09:46 PM
Pat,

I agree with Bill, Rainman and others. Willows won't die underwater unless they are helped along. I love the idea of them being living, underwater structure for the fish. So long as they don't spread too much to the banks and dam. I kill my willows and use alternate structure. To be clear, I have no experience with willows rooted in more than a few inches of water. My fear of invasion is what motivates me smile
Cmm
Posted By: CMM Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/14/15 09:50 PM
Pat,

If you want rid of the willows, get some SAFE FOR AQUATIC use herbicide that is labeled to control them.

Are you thinking of keeping some in the shallower areas for structure!

Cmm
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/14/15 10:11 PM
Not sure if I want those water drinkers or not, nice to crappie fish around them tho. Might leave a few

Thanks CNM

Pat
Posted By: Mike Otto Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/15/15 10:46 AM
The good news about willows is if you take more out than you want, wait just a minute and they will be back.
Posted By: george1 Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/15/15 10:53 AM
Mike, I sure have enjoyed your recent activity on the forum lately - guess that may change as soon as this mud dries up and you get back to work... grin
Been a long time since this much rain in N.E. Texas - visited our ponds Saturday in the rain - NICE!
George
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/15/15 03:16 PM
Will the willows that are completely submerged die? Or keep growing?

Pat
Posted By: djnks Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/15/15 05:26 PM
When I built my pond in 2011 there were several adult willow trees in the draw that I dammed up to create the pond. They are now standing in five feet of water. Every year a few would die off and as of last year they are all dead.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/15/15 11:03 PM
I consider willows the ultimate character builder. I can pull 100 and feel good about eradicating. Then, I look around and there are more.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/15/15 11:18 PM
Dave those critters have got a root system that is tough to get out. Can't imagine pulling 100 in a day!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/15/15 11:42 PM
If I get to them when they are small, the root system hasn't gotten out of hand. If they are out of the water, I hit them with a mix of Remedy and diesel.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/15/15 11:55 PM
Will they die if water covers them completely?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/16/15 12:18 AM
Nope; maybe if it got really high enough to cut off sunlight they would.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/16/15 12:45 AM
There just ain't no way around it .... Gotta pull them puppies up
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/16/15 01:12 AM
djnks, you might have a different species of willow than mine but when my willows flooded, all died except those at or near the bank and waterline. The deeper the water, the quicker they died - over a span of one to four years. If you cut those near the bank and they have access to dirt, they'll continue to grow, putting up new growth all along the tree. You'll have to herbicide that new growth with glyphosate or 2,4-D or both, unless you want a thicket of willows. I had one large tree standing alone in about three feet of water that took around six years to give up.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/16/15 01:43 AM
I think if the water completely submerges the leaves, they will die. If enough leaves stay above water, like the one in your picture, it will survive. Willows grow fast, and often die fast too. All it takes is a short twig on the shoreline in wet mud and air, and you'll start a new tree
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Deep Water Willows doing well. - 03/16/15 03:49 AM
Must be a different willow species.
On Google Earth, coordinates 29 41 15N, 91 23 14W will put you on the pond I'm talking about. At the top of the page, clicking on the clock icon with the counterclockwise arrow will show the pond as it was in years past as well as the present day image. Many of the willows at the middle of the pond were totally submerged, while the trees along the northerly, easterly and southerly pond edges were not. All died except for a few along the southerly edge which I cut and sprayed.

The lone tree that I mentioned can be seen near the southwest corner of the south pond in the 2005 image.

In the 2012 image and between the ponds is my truck. That enviably handsome guy to the right rear of the truck is me planting a tree. Yes, I know, I know, but that truly isn't Burt Reynolds. It's really me.
© Pond Boss Forum