Pond Boss
Posted By: Nathan Bamboo Structure - 07/21/13 11:57 PM
http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/habitat.htm

Stumbled across this page and thought I'd share... Other trees/brush could likely be sunk/placed in similar fashion with concrete blocks.
Posted By: bklem Re: Bamboo Structure - 08/04/13 05:58 PM
Ok, I love this idea. It is cheaper and appears that it would be better than the PVC trees I was going to build this week. Anyone have any negatives on bamboo?
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Bamboo Structure - 08/04/13 06:22 PM

It might attract Pandas....

-
-
-
-
-
-

Sorry, couldn't help myself crazy
Posted By: bklem Re: Bamboo Structure - 08/05/13 01:26 PM
Not getting much feedback here. Should I move it to the Q&A section? Need some feedback asp on bamboo and it's value vs. PVC as I am leaving Thursday to put structure in the new lake down south.
Posted By: RAH Re: Bamboo Structure - 08/05/13 02:04 PM
If the bamboo is not treated with anything and it sinks, then I would think it is a great material to use for structure. Don't think the leaves will last though. I see that weight is added at the links, but I prefer items that sink on their own. I may prune some bamboo off my plot and see how it works.
Posted By: esshup Re: Bamboo Structure - 08/05/13 03:36 PM
Typically questions with low responses are because people don't have experience with, or haven't used that material/product.

Personally, I have much easier access to PVC than bamboo.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Bamboo Structure - 08/05/13 04:10 PM
PVC won't add any nutrients to the water due to decomp..... albeit a few bamboo structures probably won't add that much either.

"Hooks pull out of bamboo easily"......hooks won't stick into pvc in the first place.

PVC structures can be used over and over, and easily moved or repositioned, while organic materials may breakdown and not leave much worth moving.
Posted By: bklem Re: Bamboo Structure - 08/06/13 03:55 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Typically questions with low responses are because people don't have experience with, or haven't used that material/product.

Personally, I have much easier access to PVC than bamboo.

Yea and when I do a search there is very little on the subject. I have access to unlimited bamboo down here for FREE! Think I'll do a combination of PVC and bamboo and see which is best. Thanks
Posted By: NWFL Jim Re: Bamboo Structure - 08/06/13 03:58 AM
I've made a few structures with bamboo since there's a stand growing next to the pond. I'm using some to keep an island afloat at the moment. Not sure how long it'll hold air but has done well for a few weeks.
Posted By: RAH Re: Bamboo Structure - 08/06/13 11:33 AM
How fast does it rot?
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Bamboo Structure - 08/06/13 11:52 AM
Originally Posted By: bklem
Yea and when I do a search there is very little on the subject. I have access to unlimited bamboo down here for FREE! Think I'll do a combination of PVC and bamboo and see which is best. Thanks

Sounds like a good thing to experiment with, and be sure to keep us informed with the results. Take lots of photos for documentation too.
Posted By: fishhound1 Re: Bamboo Structure - 09/11/13 04:43 PM
Been using that kind of stuff for crappie piles on Toledo as long as I can remember. We add to it every year and have had some great fishing days over them. Cant imagine it wouldnt work great in a pond too.
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/12/13 02:36 PM
The guys in the south all use boo for crappie structure. They say it lasts for years in most waters. We also have none here in Illinois, but certainly usefull when available. A mixture of PVC and boo sounds perfect!!
Posted By: RAH Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/12/13 04:04 PM
This is good to know. I may harvest some of my bamboo for this.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/18/13 07:33 PM
What about other plants? Are there any specific tree species that doesn't rot for a long time?
Posted By: Fatih Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/18/13 08:42 PM
I made a little research about decaying of woods. They say there are lots of wood types that won't decay for a long time(for centuries). As an example they said "wooden ships that sank centuries ago are still under the water". But what trees to use safely and effectively?
Posted By: esshup Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/18/13 11:59 PM
The problem with wood is that you need smaller pieces closer togther for small fish, and larger pieces of wood for the larger fish. It's not the large pieces decaying fast, but the smaller ones.

The ships that sank, are typically in salt water, and at depths where salvage is not possible. I don't know the oxygen levels down there. Less O2 = slower decomposition.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/19/13 07:26 AM
Scott, for one second i was feeling good to know i would be able to use natural branches instead of pvc but here you are again to tell me i am wrong, haha laugh . Thank you. But i guess i still can try bamboos.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/19/13 09:42 AM
Fatih, I have used cedar for years with no ill effects to the water. It lasts a long time.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/19/13 11:29 AM
Dave, this is a very precious information. Thank you! Can you give me some details? How long does it last? Do little branches also last long? Do you have a method to use it?
Posted By: JKB Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/19/13 02:18 PM
Bamboo is a most versatile material.

Works for guns too!

I've seen some bamboo in my life, but never any rotten or decayed stuff, so no help here, just maybe a laugh!
Posted By: Fatih Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/20/13 03:43 PM
JKB, thanks man.

I guess we solved the problem for artificial structures with bamboos and cedars.

But what about cavities for cavity spawners like catfishes? Can we scoop out big cedar logs to achieve that?

Earthanware pots is another option. Maybe i can set some pots into soil. I don't know if pots will be decomposed in time though.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/20/13 04:25 PM
Make catfish boxes out of cedar boards. But you have to ask yourself if you really want them spawning or not. Are they that expensive to buy stockers in your area.
Posted By: JKB Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/20/13 04:41 PM
I would think you could scoop out a log for this.

Don't know how deep a catfish would prefer a cavity tho. Someone else could chime in here.

If your earthenware is fired in a kiln, it should not decay very easy, although, it may be brittle.

Maybe just get some plastic culvert or drainage tile material and go that rout. Seems less labor intensive that way.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/20/13 04:44 PM
No stockers in my country smile . If i consider wels catfish maybe i can find stockers but i plan to have channel cats which i will export from the USA. Wels catfish is a great fish but they might get 5 times as big as channel cats.

Actually i really wonder how cats find cavities in nature. What forms cavities in nature? Can wood piles be used as spawning areas by cats?
Posted By: JKB Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/20/13 06:03 PM
They just instinctively look for them and make due with what they find suitable.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Bamboo Structure - 10/20/13 11:33 PM
I don't know how long cedar lasts. I have some in my ponds that have been there at least 10 years.
© Pond Boss Forum