Pond Boss
Posted By: Elsie H Life span of poly rope??? - 04/17/12 12:44 PM
I have a new pond that is just starting to fill. I have made some small PVC pipe trees and other plastic structures for fish habitat. So far I have used stainless steel wire that I already had on hand but now that it's all gone I'm wondering if polypropylene rope will last underwater to hold my structures together. I know that poly deteriorates quickly in the sunlight but it may be a good choice for underwater structures.

Any ideas would be welcome. Stainless steel wire is too expensive to continue to use.

Thanks,
LCH
Posted By: esshup Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/17/12 01:05 PM
I'd go with nylon. Or maybe look at a place like Barts for water ski rope. That stuff doesn't degrade in the sun.
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/17/12 01:05 PM
I'm afraid it will rot away fairly fast. Try using weed eater line to lash and tie your structure. It's soft enough to knot, but will not rot away over time.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/17/12 02:11 PM
I use that yellow stuff I get at prepackaged at Ace but don't know if it's nylon or poly. I use it to secure my cages to the pier and I'd say it lasts for about two years. But it's not completely submerged.

I have a diffuser connected to a jug and it's been there for two years now.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/17/12 03:56 PM
Coated duck decoy twine works for me really well, so far, anyhow. I like the trimmer string suggestion though...that will probably last a LONG time.
Posted By: Sniper Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/17/12 04:06 PM
Our raccoons have taken a liking to the poly-rope I use for my anchor. As they walk the shoreline, they like to eat right thru it. Also tore out some outdoor carpeting in my boat. mad

It took me two nights, but I got revenge. laugh
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/17/12 04:21 PM
Revenge? Did you scold the Raccoons? smirk
Posted By: Peepaw Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/17/12 04:36 PM
Scold em' with a wrist rocket and some acorns!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/17/12 04:38 PM
I was thinking harsh language...that's why he has "Sniper" as a username...his choice remarks for offending critters to scare them straight! Rumor has it he can get pretty nasty.
Posted By: Sniper Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/17/12 11:19 PM
Amen, Brothers. Unfortunately, due to the tight economy, I can no longer afford warning shots, so we fired for effect. grin

I did say a few nice things tho, at their services. whistle
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/17/12 11:41 PM
Sniper...might I inquire the calibur of your strong language? Also, your method for stalking? Was it night and spotlight? I have major issues at my place and need some guidance on best method to permanently discourage their presence. I just bought a Ruger 10/22 but also have 12 and 20 gauge...would like to make it as clean and humane as possible.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/18/12 12:10 AM
12 guage if close. If any range, use your 10/22. 12 guage might make a mess but its effective at short ranges.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/18/12 12:17 AM
I've resorted to pretty much all "talks" with unwanted varmits now including a 410 it works perfectly.. Also full choke.. Had a talk with 2 huge water snakes today, after I "talk" to them I like to fling them high up in a tree on the back side of my dam they're always gone by morning., I'd like to know who talks to them after I'm done smile
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/18/12 12:52 AM
All of my fish cages are laced together with trimmer (weedeater) line. No issues whatsoever for 3 years now. I also use it in the garden to trellis my Blackberries on. It won't damage the canes like metal wire will, and it's been out there for over 10 years now.

It also doesn't hurt that I have a few thousand feet on hand. cool
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/18/12 04:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Sniper
Amen, Brothers. Unfortunately, due to the tight economy, I can no longer afford warning shots, so we fired for effect. grin

How many did you have to uh, uh, permanently edumacate? grin
Posted By: Elsie H Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/18/12 11:04 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
All of my fish cages are laced together with trimmer (weedeater) line. No issues whatsoever for 3 years now. I also use it in the garden to trellis my Blackberries on. It won't damage the canes like metal wire will, and it's been out there for over 10 years now.

It also doesn't hurt that I have a few thousand feet on hand. cool

Do you usually use simple figure eight knots? I have had difficulty making knots hold with weedeater line in the past. The plastic cord is very stiff and the poly is slick.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/18/12 03:27 PM
[Do you usually use simple figure eight knots? I have had difficulty making knots hold with weedeater line in the past. The plastic cord is very stiff and the poly is slick. ]

Yes, figure eight knots are what I use. Don't use any line heavier than .080", and .065" is even better.
Posted By: Elsie H Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/18/12 04:39 PM
OK thanks. I'm going to give it a try.
Posted By: Sniper Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/18/12 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Sniper...might I inquire the calibur of your strong language? Also, your method for stalking? Was it night and spotlight? I have major issues at my place and need some guidance on best method to permanently discourage their presence. I just bought a Ruger 10/22 but also have 12 and 20 gauge...would like to make it as clean and humane as possible.

Depends on the range. I used a .223 AR 15 Carbine w/a light mounted (with pressure switch) to front rail. However, have you tried trapping? I use a half can of tuna and they love it. However, then you have a live raccoon to deal with.

Frankly, your 10/22 will do fine. If you have an asst. with one of those big lights that can help. You may even get a yote or two. Good luck! (Permanent only applies to death and taxes )
Posted By: Sniper Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/18/12 05:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Sniper

How many did you have to uh, uh, permanently edumacate? grin

Services were held for two. grin
Posted By: esshup Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/19/12 03:43 AM
Sniper, try a can of cat food (tuna flavor) and open the top in a couple of places with a church key.
Posted By: Rugerdude Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/21/12 08:15 PM
I have a friend who works for our EMC branch who has supplied me with short pieces of aluminum multistrand cable. The pieces are 2-3 feet long, with 8-10 strands of 8 gauge wire.

Not the easiest stuff to work with, but once its there it ain't goin' nowhere!
Posted By: Sniper Re: Life span of poly rope??? - 04/23/12 03:30 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Sniper, try a can of cat food (tuna flavor) and open the top in a couple of places with a church key.

esshup:

Sounds good.

I will try that. Definitely cheaper. wink
© Pond Boss Forum