Pond Boss
Posted By: SCSCUBA1 Sinking these today - 08/27/10 06:13 PM
After looking at many posts on structure we built these and will sink today.

I sure hope it is not overkill. Next will be homemade CC caves and several rock piles from concret block. I seen 2 buckets attached together mouth to mouth with a round hole on one end. Any ideas out there?

Attached picture IMG_0476.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0477.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0475.jpg
Posted By: Zep Re: Sinking these today - 08/27/10 06:32 PM

C00L

How deep of water are the "pallet-brush-piles" going in?
Posted By: SCSCUBA1 Re: Sinking these today - 08/27/10 06:57 PM
Between 10 and 17 feet I hope. I was going to scatter around the pond, but decided to put in area of the dock for fishing. I'll put the CC caves on the other end of the pond. I am thinking the CC will also use the bottom part of the two pallets.
Posted By: esshup Re: Sinking these today - 08/27/10 07:05 PM
If you want cover for CC to spawn in, a cleaned out plastic 55 gal barrel with a good sized hole cut in one end will work as well. Place in 3' or so of water.
Posted By: SCSCUBA1 Re: Sinking these today - 08/27/10 10:31 PM
That wasn't pretty. Three hours to sink one. Did not realize that they would flip with a 50 pound bag of comcret in the middle. But flip it did even with 2 blocks in it. Now back to the drawing board for plan C since A & B did not work.
Posted By: ewest Re: Sinking these today - 08/28/10 01:28 AM
I wish I would have seen them first. I could have told you it is going to take a lot of weight to sink pallets. I make inverted Ts out of 2 pallets like this ( _l_ ). It takes about 100 lbs to sink one. One way to do it over time is to drive a post into the pond bottom . Put about 50 lbs of concrete tied to the bottom then tie the top to the post. After about 3 mths it will water log and you can cut it lose from the post and lower it to the bottom.
Posted By: urup Re: Sinking these today - 08/28/10 06:01 PM
how long will these last under water untill they fall apart
Posted By: esshup Re: Sinking these today - 08/28/10 07:34 PM
Are they Oak or Pine?
Posted By: SCSCUBA1 Re: Sinking these today - 08/28/10 10:34 PM
Most of them are OAK with a few SOD Pallets which I think used pine. I have no idea how long will last, but anythig has to be better than nothing. As it stands now it is just a deep hole in the ground with a couple Christmas trees.
Posted By: esshup Re: Sinking these today - 08/29/10 12:33 AM
I'm pretty sure Oak will last a lot longer under water than Pine, but I guess it really depends on the fastners that are holding the pieces of wood together.
Posted By: SCSCUBA1 Re: Sinking these today - 08/29/10 03:32 PM
Plan C. Mission accomplished.

Attached picture DSCF0786.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0788.JPG
Posted By: SCSCUBA1 Re: Sinking these today - 08/29/10 03:34 PM
Adding one more photo. Now we are putting in concret blocks to make rock piles

Attached picture DSCF0790.JPG
Posted By: ewest Re: Sinking these today - 08/30/10 01:15 AM
I have pallet structures in good shape after 10 years.

How much weight did it take to sink one?
© Pond Boss Forum