Pond Boss
Posted By: Bass Shepherd Fish Structure Ideas - 08/22/10 04:10 AM
I got board and started thinking of and sketching some ideas, sorry for the crappy sketches didn't feel like putting in a lot of detail. Please Note that the depths are ideal for my area, it will vary in different parts of the US.

Ditch Structure: allows the bank fishermen more opportunities in the hot summer months and the cold winter months. This also allows the bass to spawn/feed in the shallows and retreat to the deep. I wouldn't put all the trees, brush, rock etc so close together or you will lose every bait you own, its just to give you an idea.

Well Structure: Ideal for the center, most ponds are devoid of Structure in the middle, others build submerged Islands. This gives the fish more ambush and hiding places with varied deaths. The 2nd is for easy entry but also creates more ambush points.

Flooded Timber: A lot of ponds in this area have to be dug out, this leaves little room for standing timer to be flooded. Simply dig holes and place cut down trees in, fill and pack. Imo an island should be added as well.

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fish Structure Ideas - 08/22/10 04:14 PM
I like your sketches!

DIED has a crescent shaped structure (similar to the third sketch but without the bottom opposing crescent). When the water level is right (our water levels very drastically from season to season) this structure is a great fishing spot.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Fish Structure Ideas - 08/23/10 01:45 AM
Looks good to me.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fish Structure Ideas - 08/23/10 02:39 PM
Nice work !! I will copy this to the archives on structure. What about a stand-up pvc or xmas tree structure in the center of #3. That way you have horizontal and vertical change. Group about 3 of those out in the pond and you will have a place to fish all year.
Posted By: Bass Shepherd Re: Fish Structure Ideas - 08/24/10 05:31 AM
Thank you! I have a few other ideas just haven't felt like drawing. @ewest I think it would help adding one of those or maybe even a porcupine smile. Exactly! its just perfect for the middle, no looking for fish in the late summer and winter.

Duck Island: The problem with having tame ducks is they usually get eaten by wild animals. Best way to solve this problem is to build an Island but not the cheapest in an esisting pond. Simple fix is to build a Floating Dock (Pallets and barrels) fill it with dirt, add some grass, cattails, rock, logs etc and anchor it. As a bonus this also adds fish structure, I think it would be great for Duck hunters too. If I ever find the barrels I'll build one and take Pics.

Posted By: SCSCUBA1 Re: Fish Structure Ideas - 08/27/10 06:03 PM
Now, I like this
© Pond Boss Forum