Pond Boss
Posted By: bassman_67 Bluegill and bass breeding area - 01/31/10 10:18 PM
So i have looked through the previous threads, and it sounds like bluegill like to spawn in sand/gravel areas. So i am wondering near the end of the pond, its really shallow about 1-2 feet deep so, how munch gravel/sand am i going have to put down in order for the bass/bluegill to spawn?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Bluegill and bass breeding area - 01/31/10 10:49 PM
It sort of depends on how big the pond is and how much new production one desires. IMO the larger the pond the more new BG one would want or need. All BG do not need to spawn all in one area. There can be several spawning areas based on need, desire and diversity. BG nests for large individuals (8"-10") are normally at a density of 1 every 3-4 sqft. For a small pond 1/3 ac a 10x10ft or 10x20ft area may suffice. Thus there would be about 25 nests in 100sqft. IF each nest results in 5000 surviving fry to 1" there would be abt 125000 estimated offspring. Don't rely heavily on that 125K number because recruitment from BG nests can be highly variable by factors of at least 10.

Using the above suggestion a one ac pond could suffice to have at least a 30'x30' (900sqft) or larger 30x60 gravalized area for BG spawning of 250-400 male nest builders. Note that many ponds can get buy with smaller BG nesting areas if habitat and refuge areas are optimum which encourages survival of fry.

IMO one of the important things to NOT do is to spread the gravel out too thin such as 3"-5". Thin layers of gravel tend to become blended into the mud sediment bottom of water soaked clay.

Better gravel depths are 6-12" thick. Large BG (9-10") will "dig" circular nests that can be twice their body length and 5-6" deep into the sediment depending on the consistancy of the bottom materials. In hard bottoms or coarse gravel (1/2"-1"), nests are often dug shallower into the bottom. Sometimes larger BG will use old LMB nests. IMO coarser gravel (1/2"-3/4") underlying a thin layer of sand (2"-3") provides higher survival and hatch rates of the eggs. A mixture of sand and gravel or segregated areas of sand and gravel are also good. Diversity is advantageous.
Posted By: ewest Re: Bluegill and bass breeding area - 01/31/10 10:52 PM
Did you see this thread and the links and pics ?

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199303&fpart=1

You don't have to use sand and gravel as per the thread. One suggestion - don't put the beds in an area that gets siltation. A hard clay area with indentions like in the pics will work for BG. LMB are not colonial nesters and use a little bigger bed.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Bluegill and bass breeding area - 01/31/10 11:06 PM
Eric is very correct. As an example CB1 (Cecil) has noted on this forum that he sees BG successfully nesting on a narrow (abt12" wide) ledge of bare bottom clay in his very steep sided (2:1 slope) pond. The natural urge to merge is strong among sunfishes and they can often get the job done in less than optimum conditions. My information above is for pampering your BG.
Posted By: ewest Re: Bluegill and bass breeding area - 01/31/10 11:22 PM
Looks like Bill and I were posting at the same time. I agree with Bill and also use sand and gravel and pamper my BG and RES. The thread I linked will make that very clear.
Posted By: bassman_67 Re: Bluegill and bass breeding area - 02/01/10 12:07 AM
Ok guys thank you for the info. I just have one question what does LMB stand for? Large Mouth Bass?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Bluegill and bass breeding area - 02/01/10 12:23 AM
Yes, largemouth bass is correct.

Check out: http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92442#Post92442
Posted By: bassman_67 Re: Bluegill and bass breeding area - 02/01/10 12:25 AM
Hey thanks!!!
© Pond Boss Forum