Pond Boss
Posted By: adirondack pond Water Pumping - 01/17/10 03:15 AM
Now that the temps. have gotten into the 20's it was time for me to pump some water to the pond to bring it up near full.

Here's the pump in the stream just above the waterfall and connected to the 2 inch pipe. During warm weather I just siphon the water which gives me 60 GPM in the 2 inch pipe, with the pump added it increases to more than 80 GPM.

The pipe runs 300 ft. to the pond and is elevated to give a continuous downhill slope to eliminate any low spots where water could pool and freeze when not in use.

The pond is close to being full, the open water on the upper left is where the aerator is.

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Water Pumping - 01/17/10 04:56 PM
Ya know it occurs to me that us pond owners do some pretty extreme stuff just to own a pond.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Water Pumping - 01/17/10 08:11 PM
Is that another way of saying some of us are a little off.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Water Pumping - 01/18/10 04:03 PM
I was being polite. \:D
Posted By: Omaha Re: Water Pumping - 01/18/10 05:07 PM
Adirondack, would the snow melt top it off? If you top it off before the snow melt, are you afraid of the melt flooding your pond? Might be missing something here and I'm curious about this 'winter fill'.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Water Pumping - 01/19/10 12:43 AM
Omaha, the temps never got above freezing so the only snow that melted was on top of the ice and it's weight was already displaced by the floating ice,---I think. ;\)
Posted By: ewest Re: Water Pumping - 01/19/10 01:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Is that another way of saying some of us are a little off.

Nope. All of us are off somewhat and some of us a lot ! \:D Pond nuts all.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Water Pumping - 01/19/10 02:10 AM
That is very unique, very resourceful, and very cool AP. The last time I saw that same technique was for drinking water in a coastal fishing village south of Zihuatanejo.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Water Pumping - 01/19/10 02:23 AM
Actually your close, I patterned it after the system in Zumatlan, which is not far from there. ;\)
Posted By: Omaha Re: Water Pumping - 01/19/10 03:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Omaha, the temps never got above freezing so the only snow that melted was on top of the ice and it's weight was already displaced by the floating ice,---I think. ;\)

Oh, I meant this spring, when the snow melts. I suppose it'd be the same as any other pond, but being a new pond would the risk be greater? I don't know and not trying to hijack, just curious. First time seeing something like this. Pretty cool.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Water Pumping - 01/19/10 04:06 AM
I haven't had a problem with spring runoff before,and the pond is 3 years old, I have 2 12inch horizontal pipes for outflow, my main problem is keeping the pond level up in the winter cause my dam leaks and in the past it would drop too low and I had winter kill.
I put in the 2 inch pipe this summer so that I could increase my inflo, but also to allow me to pump a large volume of water in a short time during the winter when the temps. would get above 20,
I don't live at my pond and sometimes it's hard to get the right conditions when I'm there.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Water Pumping - 01/19/10 01:25 PM
Oh, I gotcha. Very cool.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Water Pumping - 01/19/10 01:31 PM
Omaha, how are the fish doing in your aquarium?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Water Pumping - 01/19/10 01:50 PM
They're doing great. Added a couple little crappie a short time ago and look to be adjusting well. Haven't gotten a second aquarium yet and the little LMB is still swimming. I think when I do get a second tank though I will use it for the trout. He just scares all the other fish and is such a glutton. Eats way more than he probably should. Fun to watch, but the LMB and other fish seriously look freaked out when he goes all spaz around the tank looking for more minnows.
© Pond Boss Forum