Pond Boss
Posted By: emi Structure - 05/04/09 04:55 PM
Has anyone used plastic milk crates for habitat?
Joe
Posted By: otto Re: Structure - 05/04/09 06:39 PM
Joe
welcome to the forum This place is great.

No milk jugs for me but I bet some will come on soon that has.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Structure - 05/05/09 01:46 AM
I have. Once.
Louisiana pond, about three acres, drained with no habitat at all in the bottom.
The landowner had a bunch of old milk crates and bread trays from his grocery store.
We drove t-posts into the pond, about where the water would be 5 feet deep. Then, using zip ties, we attached all this plastic stuff to the t-posts, trying to make it look like some sort of tree. It worked pretty well, fish were attracted to it over the years. He bragged about it for several years.
About ten years later, he drained the lake and those dadgum plastic trees were pretty much as we built them, with a few t-posts tilted from being hit by boats when the lake was low. They seemed to work pretty well, especially since we concentrated them into a community of sorts.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Structure - 05/05/09 02:28 PM
Well there ya have it Emi. It's a rare occasion to get an answer from the wizard himself. Normally it's us flying monkeys that chime in.

Welcome to Pond Boss Emi, we're glad you found us.
Posted By: emi Re: Structure - 05/05/09 02:43 PM
Bob,
Thanks for the input.
Great site & Magazine.
Joe Sole EMI
Posted By: RobA Re: Structure - 05/05/09 04:01 PM
I used them as Bob described and with plastic pallets and plastic lattice.....

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Structure - 05/05/09 04:05 PM
Very cool RobA!
Posted By: SJAUTO Re: Structure - 05/05/09 04:51 PM
HEY EVRYONE. I AM BRAND NEW TO THE SITE AND HAVE THOUSANDS OF QUESTIONS. I'M IN NORTHEAST TEXAS AND WILL BE BUILDING A 1.5-2 ACRE POND N JANUARY. PLAN ON HAVING CATS AND CRAPPIE. DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! SPAWNING AREAS AND DEPTHS, BAITFISH, VEGITATION, STRUCTURES,(BESIDES CHRISTMAS TREES!), OVER ALL DEPTHS, ETC. HAVE TIL JAN. TO GET EDUCATED. WANT TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. ANY AND ALL INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Structure - 05/05/09 05:12 PM
Welcome to the forum SJAUTO...

You may want to start your own post. More likelihood of people seeing it. So you are building a 1.5-2 acre pond and your primary goal is to grow nice sized cats and crappie?

Any other goals?

Are you a subscriber of Pond Boss magazine? If not, I highly recommend it... Also, check out the archives, there is tons of info in the archives that may answer many of the questions you have. Try using the search icon in the top tool bar and take it from there.

If you cannot find specific answers to questions you have, post them in the sub forum that best matches the question for the best results in the answers you get. Best of luck...
Posted By: SJAUTO Re: Structure - 05/05/09 05:20 PM
K. THANKS A BUNCH
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Structure - 05/05/09 05:26 PM
If you need help, just ask... You'll find guys on this forum more than willing to assist.

When you do your search, type in words like crappie, structure, etc depending on what area you're trying to learn more about. That should help you find what you're looking for... Should you get stumped, feel free to post a question.

Fortunately, you have a good bit of time to learn all you need to know to make your pond a success. You also live in an area where lots of other forum members are and the owners of this forum are. So if you are looking for a guy to build your pond, Otto is the man and if you're looking for a biologist to help you, Mr. Lusk isn't too far away...
Posted By: ewest Re: Structure - 05/05/09 05:37 PM
Here is the archive on structure. Lots of ideas , pics and threads.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92463#Post92463
© Pond Boss Forum