Pond Boss
Posted By: IowaNate Canadian structure - 11/21/08 02:51 PM
While fishing in Canada I saw some interesting structure. They were basically square cribs made of 6 to 8" diameter logs, then filled with volleyball sized rocks. They were usally placed in a reef formation going from shallow to deeper water. The yellow perch, smallmouth bass, and rock bass loved these things!
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Canadian structure - 11/21/08 03:20 PM
Where these completely submerged? I noticed this construction method was pretty common for docks and breakwalls.
Posted By: IowaNate Re: Canadian structure - 11/21/08 04:31 PM
Yes, they were completely submerged and most were located in 5-10 feet of water. They seem to be quite labor intensive to make, but very long lasting and the fish really seemed to enjoy them.
Posted By: Rattletrap2 Re: Canadian structure - 11/23/08 06:36 PM
Iowanate,
I would imagine those were abandoned dock cribs? The docks have probably long since washed or blown away, and the cribbing remains.

In most areas, if the owner does not remove the dock, the winter ice will destroy it.
Posted By: IowaNate Re: Canadian structure - 11/25/08 03:25 AM
Rattletrap2, they very well could be old dock cribbings as they were usually oriented in a straight line. Either way, it sure attracted the Canadian bass and yellow perch in large numbers! \:\)
Posted By: ceadmin Re: Canadian structure - 11/25/08 05:28 AM
Side Question: Why don't pond owners use a crib to create their dock? Not enough nature force to worry about it? Or is it because most build their docks at the beginning of construction?
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Canadian structure - 11/25/08 01:14 PM
I think it would take more labor and materials and most of us probably don't have enough basketball size boulders laying around. Buying boulders would probably really expensive. From my limited experience, the docks constructed by this method weren't very level or smooth either. I do think the fish would like them though.
Posted By: otto Re: Canadian structure - 11/26/08 11:10 AM
Can anyone put a picture of a CRIB on the forum, i am not sure what that is.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Canadian structure - 11/26/08 12:00 PM
...man, I really wanna run with this one
Posted By: RobA Re: Canadian structure - 11/26/08 12:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: otto
Can anyone put a picture of a CRIB on the forum, i am not sure what that is.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/fspubs/02232812/page05.htm
Posted By: ewest Re: Canadian structure - 11/26/08 03:25 PM
There are different types of cribs (look different). Dock cribs look like the one RobA posted (good link RobA). There are also fish cribs (I will find some pics). Both dock and fish cribs are great structure.

Here is a link. Crib is another name for fish structure and has many forms. Here are some. Most use logs or pallets. Some have rocks some brush some are open.

http://www.chetek.com/clpa/cribs.htm

Habitat Manual for Use of Artificial
Structures in Lakes and Reservoirs

Compiled by the Southern Division AFS Reservoir Committee

Log Cribs
Log cribs consist of square log structures and may contain several layers of brush (e.g., Wisconsin log crib).

Click here for map of states that used this method.

Main reasons used:
- availability of materials
- low cost
- preference for natural materials
- longevity
- ease of construction and installation
- interest of anglers

Reported advantages:

none reported

Reported disadvantages:

none reported

Recommendations:

none reported

Mean reported time to create/place one structure/unit: 17 hrs (range 0.25 - 60, n=4)

Mean reported life of structure/unit: 25 yrs (range 15 - 50, n=4)

Degrees of Satisfaction:
**average ratings on a scale of 1 - 5 with 1 being very satisfied and 5 being very dissatisfied.
- fish attractor to increase angler catch and harvest 1.0 (n=2)
- recruitment 1.0 (n=2)
- adult habitat/sanctuary 1.5 (n=2)

Posted By: IowaNate Re: Canadian structure - 11/27/08 03:01 AM
Photos 4, 5, and 6 were exactly what I have seen in Canada except the cribs were filled with large rocks. And given that they should last about 25 years means great fish habitat for a generation.
Posted By: ewest Re: Canadian structure - 11/28/08 02:46 AM
Here is another type of crib.

Posted By: otto Re: Canadian structure - 11/29/08 12:18 PM
EWEST

You are a gentelman.

Thanks for your help on the forum.

Otto
© Pond Boss Forum