Pond Boss
Posted By: roundy Turning a pontoon into a dock - 11/19/19 10:20 PM
Earlier this summer I took a road trip to pickup a pontoon to make into a floating dock. Almost lost one wheel when lug bolts worked loose, but things worked out. Look at the size of the pontoons on it, they are huge, like the better part of three foot across. Aluminum parts are fine but everything else is trash, thinking about putting Trex on it for decking. When new it was very deluxe with power folding canopy, solar panels to charge batteries, microwave, small fridge, and fresh water system with some type of privy setup. This will probably end up a indoor winter project for use next year.

Last week we got everything stripped down to the toons and cross channels. That was about 16 hours on stinking nasty work. Everything was rotten and rusty, trusty air hammer cut most of the fasteners and now we got a huge pile of detritus to dispose of. Did come up with almost $200 from selling aluminum scrap though. That might just pay the beer bill on the demolition.

Next round is filling in few gaps for support of the Trex and smoothing up some of the cross members that we cut welds on. Hopefully, the worst is behind us on this project. After the Holidays we will start putting down decking.
Feels like you're pulling an aircraft carrier behind the truck now, sure seems big for my puddle.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Turning a pontoon into a dock - 11/19/19 10:48 PM
Cool! Can't wait!!!
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Turning a pontoon into a dock - 11/20/19 03:29 AM
This thread reminded me of this picture and caption...

Attached picture pontoon platform.JPG
Posted By: RAH Re: Turning a pontoon into a dock - 11/20/19 12:00 PM
Love it!
Posted By: Flame Re: Turning a pontoon into a dock - 11/20/19 01:22 PM
I love that picture! I too bought a 30 ft. pontoon with factory metal top. Came on a nice trailer. Launched the boat in the pond and built a wooden walkway out to it. I stabilized it to the bank with 2 long steel pipes hooked to augers in the ground. Also used 2 cables hooked to more augers. I sold the trailer for half what I paid for the whole rig! We have been using it for about 4 years now and we love it! Not for everyone but great for us.
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: Turning a pontoon into a dock - 01/01/20 01:33 AM
We currently have four pontoon boats. Probably going to turn two into docks and sell two.

Am interested in your progress and seeing how it goes.

Barely missed out on a thirty some footer with trailer at ridiculously low price couple years ago.
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: Turning a pontoon into a dock - 08/09/23 02:19 AM
We converted one of the boats into a barge and use it to haul our Altoz 766i mower to the island to mow several times a year. I wish we'd taken a lot of pictures to document the process. It went well and is now very sturdy.

https://altoz.com/tracked-zero-turn-mowers/trx

We've been planning to convert another; but it is work and takes time (my wife and I don't have much spare time currently).

Trying to figure out how to get a nice size building on the island so we could just keep a mower there and store several of our kayaks there; but... looked at 8x20 kit that is mainly plastic. Worried it wouldn't last. Thought about building one (see time constraints and lack of good carpentry experience). Any suggestions?
Posted By: catscratch Re: Turning a pontoon into a dock - 08/09/23 02:41 AM
I've got a pontoon dock, wish I had another to latch onto it. Your project is off to a great start! Keep the pics coming.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Turning a pontoon into a dock - 08/09/23 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
Trying to figure out how to get a nice size building on the island so we could just keep a mower there and store several of our kayaks there; but... looked at 8x20 kit that is mainly plastic. Worried it wouldn't last. Thought about building one (see time constraints and lack of good carpentry experience). Any suggestions?

Being an excellent carpenter is difficult (just like being an excellent anything else).

However, building a small, square garage/shed does NOT require you to be an excellent carpenter and is well within your capabilities IMO.

Further, you can do it in small steps - which should match your schedule.

You can dig and set your four 4x4s that will make up your corner posts in one afternoon. They can sit exposed for a few weeks until you can do your framing and roof.

A gravel floor should be sufficient for your purposes (or even just an elevated dirt floor). The big box hardware stores carry inexpensive roll up doors that are smaller than a garage door and easy to hang.

I suspect you could find some pretty good plans on the internet, and then determine from that if a DIY build would match your time, budget, and skill restraints.

(I have seen lumber prices are going down, but I have not done any large projects lately with pencil to paper to truly see if the prices are now reasonable.)

Good luck developing your "island paradise"!
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: Turning a pontoon into a dock - 09/03/23 05:17 AM
I'll have to see what next year is like. My son is getting a little older so he can help more and maybe my work / life balance will improve.
© Pond Boss Forum