Pond Boss
Posted By: Brett N Ski lake water flow rate - 11/10/19 04:21 AM
I've described a big watersports lake resort community we are building here.

We have abundant water access from the river to keep these lakes at specified depth without any pumping, even if there was significant seepage. I'm trying to balance a desire for clean/clear water with a desire for warm water. If the flow of water through the lakes is slow, it will be nice and warm, but prone to algae and other growth. If we run water through fast, there won't be algae, but the residents will have to suffer with frigid water temps.

I would love some insight into how much flow I should send through the lakes and other techniques for maintaining clear yet warmer water.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Ski lake water flow rate - 11/10/19 10:52 AM
You can treat the water to reduce algae.
Posted By: Brett N Re: Ski lake water flow rate - 11/11/19 02:00 AM
Yeah, I'm sure we are also going to learn A LOT about mechanical turbidity with boat wakes churning the water constantly. In an ideal world we would have a well sealed lake and lown rate of turnover. We'll have plenty of budget for things like alum and lime treatments as well to keep the aesthetics that the residents are looking for. Probably easier to keep the micro-organisms under control when there won't be other things depending on them for survival.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Ski lake water flow rate - 11/11/19 03:15 AM
Once you impound moving fertile water (streams and rivers) algae absolutely love it and they bloom based on fertility. Thus the annual nutrient budget of the inflow water is very important to maintaining clear water. Bare soil shorelines will allow boat wakes to provide perpetually turbid dirt colored water.
Posted By: Brett N Re: Ski lake water flow rate - 11/11/19 03:20 AM
The shorelines will be white beach sand to about a 3ft depth as well as 12-18" above the waterline.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Ski lake water flow rate - 11/11/19 10:46 AM
Brett, you might have trouble keeping that beach sand in place if there is much slope.
Posted By: Brett N Re: Ski lake water flow rate - 11/11/19 02:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Brett, you might have trouble keeping that beach sand in place if there is much slope.

The slope will be 16:1 for the first 24" of depth and 12-18" above the waterline. That's commonly referred to as "nature's slope" because it is the slope that nature seeks naturally on a non-eroding shoreline.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Ski lake water flow rate - 11/11/19 03:14 PM
Since you will be having boats with huge wakes. Which I think is want you want when wake boarding, sking and tubing. There will be lots of waves hitting your beach. That will have a lot of trouble keeping the sand there. Even without the boats it will be hard. You might have to have a beach area. Not the whole thing with a no wake zone. That's how are local lake does it. FYI i'm by far an expert but my opinion is free lol. I would do riprap for most of it. It will help with your water quality and the looks of the BOW.

Attached picture Screenshot_20191111-091620_Maps.jpg
© Pond Boss Forum