Pond Boss
Posted By: Don Mulligan dock barrel lid question - 02/23/19 10:55 PM
Hoping the photo uploaded. I bought standard blue barrels to build floating docks but am unclear on a couple things. The photo shows one of two openings on the top. The other is open to use a bung tool to open. This one, however, has this unmovable plastic lid with a silver seal around it. Is there a standard bung under it? Should I break the cover off to reveal the bung to then screw it out and use some plumbers dope to seal it, as I intend with the exposed one?

Attached picture barrel 1.jpg
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: dock barrel lid question - 02/24/19 12:32 AM
Haven seen one like that before but would consider running the opening horizontally and don’t worry . The water level won’t come up that high some folks add water to the barrel to get the ballast where they want it
Posted By: 2Old2Soon Re: dock barrel lid question - 02/24/19 01:29 AM
My gues is that that barrel contained food stuff and that's a tamper proof seal. Underneath I bet you'll find a traditional bung.
Posted By: Don Mulligan Re: dock barrel lid question - 02/24/19 02:31 AM
Good points on both comments. Thanks
Posted By: Snipe Re: dock barrel lid question - 02/24/19 04:51 AM
The metal ring is frangible, you cut it with dikes, remove the cap and the bung is std under that.
Believe it or not, Roundup used to come in these-just like that..
Edit: Sorry, didn't read 2old2soon's post..what he said..:-)
Posted By: nehunter Re: dock barrel lid question - 02/24/19 02:25 PM
I have read here some where that the barrels will leak. You need to use a sealer on the threads of your caps. I would use a marine grade sealer. That is made for plastics. Also place so bungs are out of water as much as possible.
Posted By: gehajake Re: dock barrel lid question - 05/23/19 08:59 PM
If you have a concern about the barrels leaking over time you can have a insulation company fill them with spray foam, that way it should never be a problem.
Posted By: Snipe Re: dock barrel lid question - 05/23/19 09:07 PM
LifeCaulk.. most marine dealers have it.
© Pond Boss Forum