Pond Boss
Posted By: Brettski backhoe controls - 03/01/17 06:50 PM
I picked up a (Chinese mfgd) 3 point backhoe for the tractor. Time to practice, but I have a concern for the controls configuration. The dipper direction (control direction vs the actual dipper movement) seems to be unintuitive. It is laid out as follows:

At the right, the dipper moves out when the control is pulled toward the operator. In my mind, the dipper should draw back when the control is drawn back.
The change is simple, so I can flip-flop the hoses either way. I just don't want to spend time learning and getting used to the wrong configuration. What say you, backhoe owners and operators?
Posted By: Tbar Re: backhoe controls - 03/01/17 07:20 PM
I think I would be tempted two reverse those two hoses.
Posted By: snrub Re: backhoe controls - 03/01/17 07:55 PM
On a JCB, it does as you are wanting it to. The rest looks ok.

That looks like Mexican hot and cold water. The faucets are reversed from what we are used to in Mexico. And to further confuse gringos, C stands for calente or hot.

It is all a conspiracy to confuse us. The only solution is a tinfoil hat. eek

John
Posted By: 4CornersPuddle Re: backhoe controls - 03/01/17 09:10 PM
Yes Brettski, switch those hoses. I certainly would if my backhoe were setup like yours.
Posted By: Tim Sanders Re: backhoe controls - 03/02/17 03:18 PM
Yes, I would reverse the dipper control. I have a Kubota with backhoe and pulling the lever is more intuitive than pushing it would be. Since you are sometimes moving two levers at the same time intuitive is better!

Hope you'll share some of what you're doing with the backhoe. I always enjoy your posts.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: backhoe controls - 03/02/17 03:38 PM
Agreed. The nice thing about standardized backhoe controls it that it allows you to go to any other standardized machine and use it like extensions of your arms and hands. Some small excavators have a control that allows backhoe-type control and whatever the other standardized is called. It is great to be able to go from one backhoe or excavator to another without a learning curve.
© Pond Boss Forum