Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 03:31 AM
Trespasser Runs Over Property Owner With ATV

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9c1_1447272166
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 11:46 AM
Hope the cops get him.
Posted By: JKB Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 12:01 PM
If the Sheriff posted it, they are trying to ID the guy for charges. I hope they throw the book at the SOB!

Some people think if a power line is running thru your property that it's public land. Not the case at all.

We have a power line out front and only have issues with snowmobiles, so we pile the snow high on both sides of the driveway. These idiots don't watch for cars pulling out and there have been a number of close calls. The silly thing is, it is legal to drive a snowmobile on the road up here, but they still run the power line.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 12:41 PM
I've said it before. Utility right of ways, streams, rivers....all bad news for private property owners. Hope they catch that guy, they surely will with his face all over the internet. Would love to be there when he's made to realize that right of ways are not open to the public.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 01:40 PM
That's right I have a electrical right of way right between my property and my neighbor he owns half of it and I own the other half. It's even all surveyed out on my paperwork.... Just because the state used it for their electrical lines doesn't mean it's public land, it just means you have to be able to give the state or county access if they need on it. Dang people need to get there crap right before they go running around wherever they please!!

RC
Posted By: Zep Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 02:12 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I've said it before. Utility right of ways,
all bad news for private property owners.

Sparks...not all bad....I actually like some aspects of mine and I have two that pass through my property.

Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Hope they catch that guy, they surely will with his face all over the internet. Would love to be there when he's made to realize that right of ways are not open to the public.

Me too....the guy just had that arrogance about him didn't he?
If he tries that attitude with the wrong judge.....look out!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 02:15 PM
Asking permission to access someone else's property is the way to go. I recently asked a neighbor, after they had combined their beans, if I could walk across their field to the creek to throw a minnow trap. Field is owned by two brothers. I asked Bro 1 and he told me to ask Bro 2. I tried to both call and message Bro 2 but got no reply. After a couple weeks I asked Bro 1 if I should assume Bro 2 not answering as "stay off our land?" He said Yes, that is correct. So I will stay off their land.
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 03:09 PM
Afraid that my reaction to a trespasser trying to run me over isn't going to be as restrained as the fellow in the video.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 03:44 PM
If the guy tried to run me over on purpose, he might have been dragging the four wheeler out be hand. the motor would not have run with it all shot up.. I would think self defense or stand your ground laws might come into play after he tried to run over me. I am not trying to sound like I am a tough guy here but it could have gotten out of hand if that was to happen at my place.

Tracy
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 03:44 PM
I just listened to that video again. FWIW Sounds to me like the guy might have been trying to drive away and the land owner grabbed the keys while the ATV was moving, getting knocked down in the process. Also sounds like there is somebody else there at the end telling the landowner to give the guy his keys back, so maybe the cops arrived.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 04:32 PM
Bill D you did the right thing! Just because people want something on the other side does NOT give them the right to trample all over your land to get there! Most folks if asked like you did would probably say yeah that's fine just be careful and respect my land.

RC
Posted By: RC51 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 04:41 PM
Yeah that was not real smart on the guy that was video taping! He had the guy dead to right on video. Even if he left they would find him or he wouldn't be back I bet!! Once he reached in to grab his keys things got stupid! Not saying the guy on the 4 wheeler is in the right at all but just a dumb move on the property owners part!

RC
Posted By: Zep Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 06:12 PM
Originally Posted By: RC51
Not saying the guy on the 4 wheeler is in the right at all but just a dumb move on the property owners part! RC

I am not defending the ATV guy at all...he seems like a real jerk.

But in most situations I always try the "super nice approach" first
just to see if it works.

It appears from the start this was confrontational.

But of course I don't know the history or how much prior
abuse the property owner has been through.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 07:32 PM
When you have too many humans running around, that 1% a-hole factor starts to become a meaningful number, and the frequency of these a-hole incidents necessarily increases exponentially. Sucks.

I'd have loved to see d-bag try this on some of my TX bros land...outcome would have been swift and decisive - probably resulting in some holes in tires.

Can't wait to see justice served.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/12/15 08:24 PM
JT,

Tires are in the three ring, Just saying.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 12:54 AM
Will we find out the outcome?

I used to run into self centered ahole lake residents like that all the time on some of the bigger lakes around here. People mindlessly racing up and down the lake. Not tresspassing but coming within 10 feet of my boat with a personal warercraft or going wide open with speedboats laughing as I bob up and down like I'm anchored in a hurricane.

Problem is there is lake security, but he's on the payroll of the lake residents. Bet you'll never guess who gets the scrunity and who gets a pass.

One of the reasons why I put in a pond, and if I fish a public lake, it's one of the smaller quieter lakes in my area.

People say to go on the weekdays. Why should I? And the one weekday I did go on one he biggest natural lakes in Indiana (ten minutes from the house) I sat in the boat ramp parking lot for 35 minutes while a bass fishing tournament members launched their boats.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 01:46 AM
+1 Cecil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: JKB Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 02:12 AM
At first I thought it was Grant Township, MI by me in my county, but that's one county west of me and the township is close to the lakeshore.

It's kinda like one of those places you pass thru while going some place else, or only stop to get gas. It's fairly a MI redneck area.

Another problem is, people move to these areas from the city and expect a tranquil life away from the rat race, but fail to understand that rat's live all over the place, and you just moved into their territory wink
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 01:00 PM
Very good point Phil!

I think I posted this before, but John Nelski of Crystal Springs Trout Farm up your way, says he approached some tresspassing deer hunters that threatened him with bodily harm, when he informed them they were tresspassing. He said he told them he was a 'Nam vet, never got over his PTSD, was going back to his truck to get his gun and they were going to have a good ol' fashioned "firefight." That got them moving. LOL

Of course as you probably know John embellishes a little for effect... He is a Vietnam vet though.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 02:01 PM
I just received a text that made me circle back to this post - it's the middle of the Rut here in IL and for a bowhunter this is the time to be in a tree...a great buddy of mine checked his trail cam card on the way to his stand this morning and had a pic of a coon hunter and about 5 coon dogs going all around the stand he was hunting in - they came through about 4 hours before he did.

It's inconsiderate jerks like the folks described in this post that make most private landowners post their ground. It's why mine has 'no trespassing' signs all around it.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 02:17 PM
I gave up deer hunting because of trespassers and poachers. Last straw was a tresspasser standing below my treestand opening morning. He didn't even know I was above him.

Deer check in is on the Internet now. I wonder how accurate that is?
Posted By: Zep Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Last straw was a tresspasser standing below my treestand opening morning. He didn't even know I was above him.

Cecil...I've told this story before, but a good friend of mine bought some land north of Dallas and was out there deer hunting the first year and ran across some guy and asked him what he was doing....the guy replied something like "chasing a wounded deer". My friend told him "well somebody recently purchased this land"...and the guy replied "I been out here all my life and these rich city slickers buy these properties out here and think they own them". It's unbelievable but some of these guys really think like that.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 05:54 PM
Cecil,

I would have had the irresistible urge to relieve myself if I had been in that tree. smile
Posted By: timshufflin Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 06:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Last straw was a tresspasser standing below my treestand opening morning. He didn't even know I was above him.

Cecil...I've told this story before, but a good friend of mine bought some land north of Dallas and was out there deer hunting the first year and ran across some guy and asked him what he was doing....the guy replied something like "chasing a wounded deer". My friend told him "well somebody recently purchased this land"...and the guy replied "I been out here all my life and these rich city slickers buy these properties out here and think they own them". It's unbelievable but some of these guys really think like that.

Zep, there's all kinds of "people" who do not recognize private property and what it stands for. In fact, they begrudge those with it including the money the owner may have. They believe that money needs to be shared with all around. It's no surprise that they want to share your land too.
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 07:02 PM
The trespasser has been found and may be looking at assault charges. Multiple people turned him in.

http://woodtv.com/2015/11/10/caught-on-camera-angry-atv-driver-hits-w-mi-man/
Posted By: Caviler03 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 07:07 PM
^^^Wish we had a "like" button! Glad they caught him bushwacker
Posted By: Zep Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 07:17 PM
THANKS...for the update Bushwacker. Looks like no matter
what happens it's going to cost the A-Hole some legal fees.

"Authorities said that when they tried to contact the man to
interview him, he retained a lawyer who advised against it
"
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 07:38 PM
You ought to have a nice 50-cal blunderbuss on-hand loaded with salt the next time someone is under your stand. Then again it may be a while before the weather washes out the poop-stain on the tree which may not lead to good hunting. Hammering out the dent from his head hitting the tree stand in surprise may take a bit of effort too.

The favorite thing of hunters around me is to put their stands right on my property edge. I don't mind all that much since I don't hunt and I want those pesky deer numbers cut down, but that smacks of rude.

Speaking of which, the blunderbuss tactic is one my old boss used to use on trespassers. His property backed up to a park, and his land was posted and fenced. People would jump the fence to have a look around. If he was out hunting he left a lasting impression on them. I know... he did it to me when I was stopping over to say hello in a case of mistaken identity. I've never been quite the same when I hear a flint drop.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 07:49 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the info, Bushwacker.
Posted By: JKB Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 08:45 PM
THANKS...for the update Bushwacker. Looks like no matter
what happens it's going to cost the A-Hole some legal fees.

"Authorities said that when they tried to contact the man to
interview him, he retained a lawyer who advised against it
"

Obviously, the lawyer saw the video wink

If he is charged with assault, could be assault with vehicle, which the vehicle is a weapon, and that's a pretty stiff felony.

I'll bet that guy wishes he had stayed at home that day.

I know 2 people who were charged with assault, and these were just 1 fist punch deals. Temper. The lawyers just basically got them out from doing any jail time. I'll never get paid back for loaning the money to one of these for the lawyer.

Heck, this dude could loose his job if he has one, or may never be able to get one again.
Posted By: Zep Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
You ought to have a nice 50-cal blunderbuss on-hand loaded with salt the next time someone is under your stand.

what if the startled trespasser thinks someone is trying to kill
him and reacts by shooting back and it's not salt he's shooting
back with? shocked
Posted By: JKB Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 10:21 PM
My vote is to pee on them from above grin

When I was a kid climbing trees. A neighbor kid, same age, was way below me, and well, too much Kool-Aid has it's drawbacks wink

Anyway, the kid went home crying to his mom, which quickly got back to my mom, and I didn't know anything about Lawyers back then. So it was an I peed and he was in the wrong place debate. I lost.

I must confess before I die that I really didn't like that kid following me around wink
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 10:34 PM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Cecil,

I would have had the irresistible urge to relieve myself if I had been in that tree. smile

Why didn't I think of that? wink

Actually not sure peeing on a guy with a gun with an unknown mental health history would have been a good idea. grin
Posted By: Zep Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 11:21 PM
I've seen a lot of funny no trespass signs, but this one takes the cake!

Posted By: Bill D. Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/13/15 11:29 PM
Perfect!
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/14/15 04:20 AM
Not saying shoot at the guy, just up in the air... but yeah, it was tongue in cheek.
My approach would be to call down and see if he wanted a beer or something, I usually shoot for the overly nice until the person is proven to be an a hole.

A few years ago a group of hunters decided to put up posted signs right through the middle of my land. I about blew a fuse, but I took a day off to cool down, took down the signs and piled them up with a note and property map of where the border really was. I then welcomed them to hunt our land as long as they respected the fact we are out and be careful of our pets.

The signs were gone the next day, and I got a nice apology from the neighbors explaining it was friends of theirs who made the mistake. Never has a problem since, but I have accidentally screwed up some hunting for them a few times by walking the dog.

I have to tread lightly though as I have not lived here my whole life, and have experienced the attitude of lifers that don't like change. Small town rules I have to be careful with. Asbergers doesn't help me much either with the making the friends bit.
Posted By: Zep Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/14/15 08:42 PM
that's what i figured liquid...it is frustrating. Hard to believe others would place signs on your land. That's bold!
Posted By: esshup Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/15/15 04:27 AM
Multiple people calling in to me means that he's offended a number of people.........

I hope they hang his sorry butt.
Posted By: JKB Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/15/15 04:23 PM
Hard to believe others would place signs on your land. That's bold!

We had an idiot neighbor that did that to us at the shop and another neighbor. After having it surveyed we put up fence posts "inside" of the surveyors stakes. Came in one Monday morning and they were moved about 12' toward our building and a whole row of posts were put up with hand painted signs saying "No Trespassing - This means you!". I took them down because they were in our fire lane behind the building and over the drain field. Next weekend, they went right back up. Partner called the Sheriff, showed him everything (we have measurements from the building to the property lines and all), Sheriff had a chat with the neighbor and that ended it. Yep - They are out there!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/15/15 07:10 PM
Was putting in a line of evergreens on one of my property lines and the neighbors came out all upset and said we were planting trees on their property. We showed them the markers and property line drawing and they weren't happy campers. And btw we said, "Part of your driveway is on our property, but we won't make an issue of it." LOL

Glad they moved on. Everything they owned sat in the yard and they burned things that shouldn't be burned. Neighbors now on all sides are good as gold except a fired cop that is a sour puss. He's not a problem though.
Posted By: JKB Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/15/15 09:28 PM
I want to clear the property line on the west side and that has 2 neighbors. Both of these neighbors are fairly decent now since their son's got out of fed prison for blowing up mailboxes. Oh, they blew up a whole bunch!!, and the one kids dad had to keep an eye on the slippery soap due to a felony DUI conviction.

I'm working on a proposal that will benefit us all, and have my lawyer tweak it in a tad, but won't send it out on his letterhead.

Sure, it will cost me a bit more to do what I want to do, but it would be the same anyplace, and I am here!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/15/15 09:38 PM
There's neighbors and then there's people that own the property next to you. We have great neighbors on two sides of us and then there are the people that own the field that borders the other two sides. From day one, the "farmers" have made it clear they want no part of a neighborly relationship. They posted nice new NO Trespassing signs on the trees near the property line. One of the first things we did was have the property lines surveyed and YEP, you guessed it. They posted those new signs on our trees! I took them down, dug the nails out of the trees and laid the bunch in a nice neat pile on their side of the line. They didn't repost cause all the trees on the property border are ours!
Posted By: Shorty Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/15/15 09:59 PM
Six of our neighbors cows were trespassing on our place this morning, the dog had fun chasing them off. This is the fourth time they have been loose in the last two weeks.

frown
Posted By: JKB Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/15/15 10:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Shorty
Six of our neighbors cows were trespassing on our place this morning, the dog had fun chasing them off. This is the fourth time they have bee loose in the last two weeks.

frown

Can you say... Barbecue?

I would not do that either.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/16/15 12:40 PM
Trespassing cattle sucks in so many ways. Never a good thing. My first experience was when 6 cows came onto the property and they destroyed the deer feeders and would find the wildlife food plots and graze like they found a treasure. Finding out who they belong to took a few days because none of my bordering neighbors had cattle. First time it was a neighbor down the rd and he was elderly and was in the hosp being treated for cancer. His grandson helped me round them up using the side by side like a horse to push them back to his place. the neighbor offered to repair or replace the feeders but I said no thanks and I repaired and set new feeders out. The next time was from another neighbor down the road. An elderly woman and her son who was in his 60's in guessing. They told me high water had knocked the fence down and blamed me for the trespassing cattle because I was growing rye, oats and wheat at my place. I offered to bring in a boat and help to repair the fence but they said no thanks. So over the next two yrs their cattle would wind up at my place 3 or 4 times a yr. And the woman had an attitude every time I went to them and told them of their cows on my place and I always offered to help get them back. That attitude got old and so the last time I told her I was going to call the Sherriff and he would come get the cows. That was 3 yr's ago, she fixed the fence after that. I think she liked to fatten up her cows on my fields.

Tracy
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/16/15 01:02 PM
Animals get out occasionally, no matter who built the fence. It's part of having livestock, and many times there is no one at fault. But when it starts happening with greater frequency, then there's a problem somewhere that needs to be addressed.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/16/15 02:41 PM
Was driving down a back road and suddenly noticed a group of small domestic pigs that got lose that were making a beeline for a nice big beautiful Amish garden. I thought, "Oh boy there's going to be hell to pay for whoever the pigs belong to!"
Posted By: Shorty Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/16/15 03:39 PM
Trespassing cows have been an issue every fall/winter for the last five years running. One of these days I'm going to call the sheriff, at the moment we are just documenting the damage they do. A barbecue is out of the question, but there are laws on the books regarding estrays and how to deal with them.

frown

Nebraska Revised Statute 54-401

Nebraska Revised Statute 54-403

Nebraska Revised Statute 54-404
Posted By: 4CornersPuddle Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/16/15 04:12 PM
In Nebraska Revised Statute 54-404, who gets to carry out the execution of the stock? Bwahahaha.
It is my understanding in states with "open range law" as I believe we have here in Colorado and in Wyoming, it is up to us to fence our land to keep another's livestock off. I believe this applies to property in rural, non-incorporated areas.
The Nebraska laws seem a fair way to go, creating responsibility on the part of the livestock owner.
A man in our neighborhood shot and killed a trespassing bull that had crossed hi fence to get to his in heat heifers. He is now going through the lovely mess in court, to the tune of several thousand dollars. I know nothing of the backstory of the trespassing bull.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/16/15 09:50 PM
4C, as I understand Open Range Law, a proper fence, if in place, has to be respected. No fence, the cattle can wander. But, in Texas, the law has been interpreted, reinterpreted and misinterpreted several times.

I have found that removing my front gate and telling the neighbor about it solves the problem. That's when they start fixing fences.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/17/15 12:26 AM
I would rather have four legged trespassers than two legged ones.

Wife said there were 10 cows in the yard this afternoon when she got home. She chased all them off with the four wheeler.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/17/15 12:37 AM
I have to ask grin ...chased them off to where?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Trespassers Just Don't Get It - 11/17/15 12:43 AM
Back towards where they came from. grin
© Pond Boss Forum