Pond Boss
Posted By: DeermanJ Ice Fishing House as Part of Dock - 11/21/14 05:00 PM
Hello again all,

Has anyone here attempted to build a fish cleaning house/ice fishing house as part of their dock structure. Probably as one side of a "T" shaped dock. I figured since I am running electric out there anyway for lights and the fish feeder I might as well go all out. Depth under the ice fishing house would be appx. 12 feet, so definitely one of the deeper parts of the pond. I would certainly add structure under the dock to attract the fish. I am also thinking that the top of this structure would serve very well as a rope swing launch off point. grin I already have 6 telephone poles on site.

P.S. I would be building this myself.

Anyone done this? Thoughts?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing House as Part of Dock - 11/21/14 06:19 PM
The Herman Bros. have a volcano themed mancave as part of a dock. It has removeable floor sections that expose the ice underneath, allowing for ice fishing in the ultimate lap of luxury.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ice Fishing House as Part of Dock - 11/21/14 06:20 PM
Certainly doable and something I would like to do at some point. You could also fish in it over open water to get in out of the cold. I would probably also use mine for storage over the summer and winter.
Posted By: DeermanJ Re: Ice Fishing House as Part of Dock - 11/21/14 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
The Herman Bros. have a volcano themed mancave as part of a dock. It has removeable floor sections that expose the ice underneath, allowing for ice fishing in the ultimate lap of luxury.

Wow, I thought I was being ambitious !!!
Posted By: DeermanJ Re: Ice Fishing House as Part of Dock - 11/21/14 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Certainly doable and something I would like to do at some point. You could also fish in it over open water to get in out of the cold. I would probably also use mine for storage over the summer and winter.

Exactly... I was planning on creating some structure near the dock anyway for fishing off the dock. Why not put some under the dock? Can't wait to get started. Hopefully this winter will allow for some outside work, although the early returns are not too good.
Posted By: DeermanJ Re: Ice Fishing House as Part of Dock - 11/21/14 07:03 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Just Googled around and found a video about that Volcano man cave. They used some kind of plexiglass cover for the fishing hole. What an awesome idea !!! I am stealing it (not the actual cover, just the idea)
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Ice Fishing House as Part of Dock - 11/21/14 07:09 PM
If I remember correctly, they used suction discs to remove the plexiglass from the floor.
Posted By: DeermanJ Re: Ice Fishing House as Part of Dock - 11/21/14 07:12 PM
[quote=sprkplug]If I remember correctly, they used suction discs to remove the plexiglass from the floor.

I was a bit concerned about a hinged door presenting a tripping hazard.
Problem solved...
Posted By: DeermanJ Re: Ice Fishing House as Part of Dock - 11/21/14 07:28 PM
Does anyone know if Nate and the crew over at Herman Bros. are still filming? Also, are they still doing consult work on individual "smaller" ponds or have they become too busy with the larger projects and the show? I had Nate out a couple years ago in the planning stages and he was very helpful. Since then I have not had the same response, which I understand.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ice Fishing House as Part of Dock - 11/21/14 08:25 PM
He's really busy!
Posted By: DeermanJ Re: Ice Fishing House as Part of Dock - 11/21/14 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
He's really busy!

I figured as much. Does anyone else around here make house calls (for a fee, of course) to help novice Pondmeister's like myself make the dream a reality. I am in the final stages of digging and will soon be making decisions that will be very difficult to change after the water rises (beach, dock size and location, underwater structure, ect...) As helpful as this forum is, I can't help but think a couple of hours looking around and spitballing would be just what I need to get it right.
© Pond Boss Forum