Pond Boss
Posted By: SetterGuy Location of shelter on the pond - 10/17/14 02:43 PM
I imagine this has already been asked and answered. I will do a search, but I haven't figured out how to do a targeted google search in a specific forum. Sorry..
I'd like opinions on where to build a structure (starting off with a pavilion) on the bank of a pond.
Our pond is oriented north/south. So I can't build on those sides of the pond. The north end is the dam, the south end is our dirt road coming in, and on the other side of that runs alfalfa fields.
So, I'm looking at building on the east or west sides. Setting up on the east side gives you a great view of the west side early in the morning, but it means the sun is blasting away on you in the late afternoon. Building on the west side means the sun (for me) is behind the trees in the afternoon and the structure would be nice and shaded, but mornings would be looking right into the sunrise, over the trees on the other bank.
It's only a 1.5 AC pond, so I don't have a lot of choices. It's completely surrounded by trees, we harvested two acres of timber to build it.
Both sides have pretty steep banks, I don't plan on a beach area on either side, just a floating dock with a ladder for swimming. I'd be happy to post some pics, but I've put a lot of them up in the construction forums in soil and dam building. Don't want to hog band width.
I'm going through my back issues of the magazine to see if something's been written up already.
Thanks in advance for all opinions.
Jeff
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Location of shelter on the pond - 10/17/14 04:07 PM
Adding a link to your thread so others may see some of your surrounding pond choices. Nice place!!!

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=386521&page=1
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Location of shelter on the pond - 10/18/14 01:15 PM
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Adding a link to your thread so others may see some of your surrounding pond choices. Nice place!!!

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=386521&page=1

Thanks fish n chips, for posting the link, and the comment.
I guess I know most of the factors in setting up the shelter on the east or west side.
Just wanted to make sure I've thought of everything.
Posted By: esshup Re: Location of shelter on the pond - 10/18/14 04:35 PM
SW corner will allow you to run electric to it easier if you decide not to go solar. It will allow the trees to shade the building all of the year except the middle of summer when the sun is more northernly. It will be easier to get building material to the site, and make cutting in a road/trail easier too.

If you want it to last, make sure you follow the appropriate building codes in regards to piers and footings for the base fo the structure to keep it anchored in place and to help minimize the building moving around during periods of freeze/thaw cycles.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Location of shelter on the pond - 10/18/14 06:39 PM
Thanks Scott.
All good points. We will build it to last. I've got chairs around the pond at this point, and am just trying to see how they are at different times of the day.
We love our trees. They'll be a hassle for pond maintenance, but we like the shade and the atmosphere they provide.
Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: esshup Re: Location of shelter on the pond - 10/18/14 07:21 PM
The chairs are a good idea. Just remember how high in the sky the sun is during the summer. Being so deep in the woods, maybe a screened in gazebo might help if the skeeters are bad. Or buy a lot of ThermaCells if they go on sale.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Location of shelter on the pond - 10/18/14 07:35 PM
I'll throw in the wind factor. One side is always more windy than the other. Could be good, or bad, depending on preferences.
© Pond Boss Forum