Pond Boss
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 05:56 AM
OK, I've got a Husqvarna 460 Rancher, 20" bar, which is great, but now I'm looking for a LIGHT limbing saw. I'm leaning towards an Echo CS-271T. At a dry weight of only 6.6 lbs., its the lightest on the market today. Its a 26cc. Also considering the slightly larger Echo CS-310, a Stihl MS180C, and a cheap Poulan. Money isn't much of a consideration as much as a dependable, lightweight saw. Whats your favorite small limbing saw?

Posted By: Cody Veach Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 06:32 AM
I have a husquvarna 445 with a 18inch bar bar when I climb its still light enough for me to manuaver around.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 10:46 AM
I have a Stihl MS 192 and it's been a workhorse. I got it with the 16" blade, and I rarely drag out the big saw anymore.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 11:21 AM
For a smaller saw, it's hard to beat an Echo. If you want a saw that the pro's take to the treetops, check out the Stihl MS 192T like Al uses. Very nice.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 11:39 AM
I am an Echo fan and you couldn't give me a new Stihl. The last Stihl I bought had the snap in caps for gas and oil. There was no way that they would stay in and there was also no way that Stihl would replace it. They got a pretty bad rep over that and deserved it.

Remember the story on nation wide TV a couple of years ago about the woman who was stealing Christmas lights? She was working a lot in our neighborhood and my Stihl came up missing from my garage. I didn't even report the theft because I was afraid that it might be recovered and returned to me. BTW, she was recently convicted and got a 70 year sentence due to continuing criminal activities.

I guess I have 3 or 4 of each and the Echo's have never let me down. I like a 12 inch chain and bar for climbing and cutting in trees.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 11:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
...BTW, she was recently convicted and got a 70 year sentence due to continuing criminal activities...

Dave, now you know we take our Christmas lights very seriously here in TX.

Actually, a few years ago I started by backing into power tool purchases. I find the best outdoor power repair shop I can, then purchase what they sell. I rarely need new parts, especially since a lot of carbs are replaced now instead of rebuilt, but I want to make sure the parts I do need are in stock.
Posted By: esshup Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 12:27 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
For a smaller saw, it's hard to beat an Echo. If you want a saw that the pro's take to the treetops, check out the Stihl MS 192T like Al uses. Very nice.

Ditto what he said. I have a smaller Echo and it's worked faithfully for 12 years. CS-370? It can wear a 16" bar, but it does much better with a 14". For limbing a 12" might be perfect. I've heard nothing but good things about those small Stihl 192 T saws, if you can get past those dang flippy caps. I hate 'em.
Posted By: 4CornersPuddle Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 01:12 PM
Oh yes, chainsaws, my absolute favorite power tool, as a result of working in the woods for 40+ years.
Are you planning to leave the ground, as in climb a tree or a ladder with your saw? If so, then a top handle saw with lanyard attachment ring is a good, safe way to go. You then can hook one end of the lanyard to your waist (belt or saddle) and be free of the saw for climbing or grabbing a limb for stability. We arborists clip the saw lanyard to our climbing saddle and can hang the saw on a hook on the saddle or even drop the saw in an emergency without it plummeting to the ground. (Bad move)
If you will do all your limbing from the ground, then a standard saw design will serve you better, as you have more reach and control of the tool.
That said, we prefer Stihl 020s and MS200Ts over the 019/190 series. The power of the 020/200 series is way above that of the 019. The prices are too. :-( We do not have experience with Echo saws, but some of our competitors run them with satisfactory results. I would buy an Echo, especially a very small top handle one.
I personally have on older Husky 335XPT and constantly am working on it. It does not have the reliability of the Stihls. However, the new Husky 540 climbing saw is their answer to the best Stihl top handle saws, and will probably take some market share. You're talking about well over $600 for the top Huskys and Stihls.
Sorry this has dragged on for so long. I try to start at least one chainsaw everyday of the week, just because I can. Ha! I am certainly a saw nut. My ice fishing auger is an old Husky with an oiler that no longer works.
Send me a PM; we can talk saws for days and days, weeks and weeks. I can tell you logging stories from my days as a timber faller in Oregon and Idaho.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 02:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
...... and my Stihl came up missing from my garage. I didn't even report the theft because I was afraid that it might be recovered and returned to me.

Now, that's funny. smile
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I'm now looking at the MS192T C-E. Our local Stihl dealership wants about $80 more that the going mainland rate. Ace Hardware is selling the Echo CS-271 for MSRP. Money isn't a huge factor, but not sure the Stihl is worth an additional $100. I don't "plan" on cutting above ground and for my non-commercial use, the Echo may be the choice for me, unless I can find free or low shipping for a Stihl.
Posted By: esshup Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 07:33 PM
Ohne thing that I really, really like about my small Echo is the priming bulb. Push that 5-6 times, put it on choke, pull it once or twice (until it sputters), push choke off, hold throttle partially open and it always fires on the next pull. From 100° to -10°. I wish all my saws had that feature. Even the big Dolmar with the compression release.

I don't care what brand of saw it is, if it has those da*n flippy caps on it I wouldn't take it even if you paid me to. I dislike them that much. Wait 'till you think you have it tight and you pick up the saw. Then you feel your leg getting wet and cold. Look down and it's drenched in the gas/oil mix... mad
Posted By: kenc Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 07:57 PM
I know if I was to buy anything relating to chain saws or lawn equipment, I would run it by Tony aka sparkplug. He has sold me stuff that is hard to find and much cheaper then what I could buy it here even with the shipping. Give him a call, you will not be disappointed.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/10/14 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: roadwarriorsvt
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I'm now looking at the MS192T C-E. Our local Stihl dealership wants about $80 more that the going mainland rate. Ace Hardware is selling the Echo CS-271 for MSRP. Money isn't a huge factor, but not sure the Stihl is worth an additional $100. I don't "plan" on cutting above ground and for my non-commercial use, the Echo may be the choice for me, unless I can find free or low shipping for a Stihl.

For light occasional use, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Echo. If you were making your living with the saw, or cutting hours everyday with it, then that's another story and would justify stepping up.

Buy it from a dealer, not from a box store. The dealer will be there if you need them, while the box store will hand you a card with a phone number on it..... "Call these guys, they handle our warranty and repair work"

Skip the middleman and buy it from "these guys" in the first place. If the hardware store does their own work, that's good enough too. Service after the sale.
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 12:19 AM
Much good advice here. Our Ace Hardware just started small engine repair. I'll check to see if they are an authorized Echo repair shop.

The Stihl 192T has 4 more cc's than the Echo CS-271T and only about 1/2 pound heavier. I found Stihl's new MS150 which is only 6.1 pounds but has a price tag of $490! The Echo is looking better at this point.

Again, I appreciate all the input.
Posted By: JKB Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 12:57 AM
Have a Stihl 180 something, and I really like it!

No corks or bottle stoppers on the oil and gas wink
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 01:09 AM
I have an Echo limbing saw, it never fails to start and I can work for hours with it without my arms crapping out. I use it for tackling the brush and small sumac and trees that are too large for the brush hog. I have had it for 12 years, and have almost had to do nothing with it except replace the bar twice and the chain a few times. I have cut an amazing amount of stuff with it over the years!

I have a larger Stihl and a previous poster is correct, those gas/oil lids are difficult at best, and impossible with gloves. It is a beast in a small package though, starts easily, and rips through harder wood like maple and iron wood pretty quick without bogging.
Posted By: gully washer Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 01:42 AM
If the saw is to be used for occasional tree trimming around the yard and electricity is available, I would suggest getting a corded 110 volt electric chainsaw. I bought an 8 amp 14" Remington electric chainsaw 24 years ago for about $35. and it still performs very well. There are many brands to choose from, ranging from 8 to 15 amp, with 14" to 18" bars, priced at $50. - $150. High performance, light weight, fewer parts, and you don't have to worry about the carburetor getting gummed up while it's not in use. Oh yeah, no friggin pull rope either.

It would be awesome if battery technology were improved, so as to allow for a viable cordless electric chainsaw. Not to mention, all other gas powered devices and vehicles, as well.
Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 01:56 AM
I went with the Stihl 192 and wouldn't change a thing so far. The cap can take a bit to get used to, but its not that big of a deal.

If you are just occasionally using it, I'd go for the best service dealer.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 02:36 AM
Electric saws have their place, but right after a big storm when the power is out and you've got trees down is not it. Kinda' like windmill aeration...when you need it the most is the time it may not be available.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 02:59 AM
I've been told the Echo is a good middle of the road saw...I've got a buddy who runs a tree trimming service here locally and he told me for the money they're a great 'non-commercial use' saw. Which is all I do.

With that said I don't own one yet. I've got 2 Stihls for big tree work and an old 12" homelite for limbing/climbing...when that shoots craps I'll get the Echo and see how it holds up. Course I've had the Homelite for 15 years now and it starts every year, so not sure I'll be able to buy something with that sort of longevity today.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 03:31 AM
Homelite, McCulloch, and Poulan were solid American brands that used to mean something. Unfortunately, not so much anymore. I have my dad's old XL-12, and I get it out once in awhile just to relive "the good ole days".....

Then I shut it off, put it back in its case, and pick up one of my Stihl's and get the job done. wink
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 03:53 AM
Chainsaws, yep I got one!!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 04:10 AM
Homelite, McCulloch, and Poulan were solid American brands that used to mean something. Unfortunately, not so much anymore. I have my dad's old XL-12, and I get it out once in awhile just to relive "the good ole days".....

Then I shut it off, put it back in its case, and pick up one of my Stihl's and get the job done. wink

Wait a minute.....

What about this yeller one? (don't pay attention to the red one)

Sorry for the hijack, those ain't limbing saws (at least not for this boy!). wink grin

The yellow one was purchased one day after the Palm Sunday Tornados here in Indiana.
Posted By: snrub Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 04:47 AM
I have a Shihl 180C with 16" bar that I find as I get older run it two to three times as much as the 310. If I'm cutting a lot of big stuff I get the 310 with the 20" bar out, but the rest of the time the lighter 180 does enough work to wear me out.

In years gone by have had Homelite 360, Huskvarna, Poulan & Poulan Pro models. Can only remember one that was a dud (rope always breaking and hard to start - not a good combination), and it was a cheapie Poulan, but had another cheapie Poulan later from WM and it was a pretty decent little saw. Gave it to grandson when I got the Shihl 180. Can't say I had a lot of trouble with any of them, except the one. Have always either sold wood or burned wood myself so put them all to a fair amount of use.

Had the two Sthils a few years now and been happy with them. Still technically have a Huskvarna and Poulan Pro (can't remember the models but something around 45cc's) but have handed them down for general farm cleanup use so someone else runs them now.

Have never owned an Echo but son had a John Deere two cylinder saw that was made by Echo and it was a good saw. So I would guess most of the brands make pretty good saws.

I did not know the flip caps on the Sthils were such a bad thing till I was informed of it here. Seem to work ok for me. Usually have to take one glove off to operate them though.

I prefer a 16" bar on a limbing saw (as opposed to a shorter one) just so I don't have to bend over as far. But I'm over six foot tall.
Posted By: esshup Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 05:03 AM
snrub, I have a 32" bar for that 7900 besides that 24" that is on it in the picture - you wouldn't have to bend over much at all!
Posted By: snrub Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 05:45 AM
LOL, no but my back would hurt enough after about a half hour I would not be able to stand up straight anyway. I don't use the 310 over about a half hour at a time without a rest in between. I have already had three back operations over a six year period and the Dr. said he did not want to see me back cause the next time would not be as much fun. He told me to get a different occupation but I was not smart enough for that. That has been about ten years ago now and I have finally learned not to push it so hard.

My sons have the big dog saws (not sure if the biggest one is a 660 or an 880). At my age I don't want to work that hard. Come to think of it, I didn't want to work that hard when I was younger, but thought I needed to.
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 06:08 AM
Found out my local Ace Hardware is factory authorized repair shop for Echo and Stihl. They are getting in a MS192T tomorrow. Will compare it with the Echo CS-271T side by side.

Not to get off subject, but here is a pic of me and my late dad in Nov 2012. That Huskqvarna in the picture was OLD when I was a kid in the 70s. I used it that day to cut up a fallen pine. Old as the hills, that thing still starts up on the 2 or 3rd pull. They don't make them like that anymore.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 11:38 AM
The bow bar is cool, but also somewhat dangerous. That huge nose radius provided a lot of room for "tip" contact, which often resulted in kickback.....not good.

Esshup, looks like a Clinton or a David Bradley? Either way I bet that exhaust makes your eardrums itch something fierce.

On the subject of Poulan saws made today: In my opinion they make excellent jonboat anchors, but you have to supply your own rope.....and hope it's not too windy outside when you want to go fishing.

If Poulan would include the rope in the box, along with instructions advising that the saw not even be gassed up initially, but instead proceed directly to the anchor application, they would have a lot more satisfied customers.
Posted By: Mobilus Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 11:48 AM
sprkplug, I graduated from a Poulan to a Stihl MS170 for a limbing saw about 14 years ago...thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. I still have that saw, and it is still running great.

I agree with your boat anchor idea.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 12:00 PM
...On the subject of Poulan saws made today: In my opinion they make excellent jonboat anchors, but you have to supply your own rope.....and hope it's not too windy outside when you want to go fishing.

If Poulan would include the rope in the box, along with instructions advising that the saw not even be gassed up initially, but instead proceed directly to the anchor application, they would have a lot more satisfied customers.

laugh

Tony, now all I have to do is get you in the Bahco cult, and I bet our outdoor tool stash would look almost identical.
Posted By: esshup Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 03:25 PM
Tony, you got it - Clinton. If the "spark arrestor" isn't made from Stainless, it disappears after one tank.

Believe it or not, both saws in the pic wear the same size bar, and are the same HP. The Clinton weighs twice as much as the Dolmar.

roadwarrior:
See if the dealer will let you fire them both up (see which one is easier to start). Cutting with them should be about the same since they are both brand new. If the Stihl has the flippy caps on the gas/oil, take them off and put them back on to see how you like them.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 04:18 PM
+1 on the Echo limbing saw...light and mobile and reliable love mine.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 04:19 PM
Poulan makes a fine saw once a little work has been done...

Posted By: snrub Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 04:44 PM
The last little one I had ran and started fine. I think it was a little over a hundred bucks and I wore out three or four chains before giving it to my grandson. Not a commercial unit by any means, but it did quite a bit of limbing for me. Think I had the Huskvarna for a bigger saw then so it only cut small stuff. I would not be afraid of using one, but I do like my Sthil 180.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 05:14 PM
Here it is after a little more tuning...

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 05:23 PM
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
Poulan makes a fine saw once a little work has been done...

Does it still require a pair of channel locks to take that crazy threaded fuel cap on and off....just to keep it from leaking all down one leg while you're using it? grin

"Wild Thing.....you make my skin sting.....leaky, dripping, Wild Thing"
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 05:46 PM
Geez, why all the hate...First it was the flippy caps and now the horribly course threaded screw caps...

Honest opinion about saws... PROPER TUNING AND MAINTANANCE will make most any saw last a lifetime...Sometimes the proper tuning requires modding right out of the box to eliminate EPA regs... (example, removing limit caps on carb)

The problem is people don't know how to properly tune a saw and due to new EPA regs some can't be richened up enough right out of the box..

As Tony mentioned, find a servicing dealer that knows what they are doing...One that starts the saw and properly tunes it before you take it home...And if you are not comfortable tuning yourself take back annually to have it tuned.. Always use fresh gas and drain if going to be sitting for extended periods on time..
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 06:30 PM
Uh-oh, now you've went and done it Sean....advocating for removal of the government mandated limiter caps on a public forum....you see that strange black SUV parked outside your location right now?

Of course you don't.....they don't want to be seen.

Seriously though, I don't have a problem with the flippy caps. They do not like a heavy-handed application though...you can't force them.

But the threads on those Poulan tanks...wow.

Sean makes a great point in that maintenance, and storage procedures are one of the keys to being satisfied with your saw purchase. Today's gasoline doesn't have much of a shelf life, and can cause problems if left sitting in the tank.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 07:08 PM
Getting tired of fighting the Poulan and asking for opinions before my next purchase (thanks Sprkplug), I bought the ECHO last fall. For the first time it felt like I was using a real chainsaw.

Now with the Poulan still sitting in it's case, no wait, I used the case for my ECHO, the only thing I guess I'm missing now is a rope!

And to think I didn't know what to do with that old Poulan wink

Still learning grin
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/11/14 09:53 PM
After draining the gas out, I'm guessing one should run it until it dies out to get rid of all the gas in the carb?

@Spark: I hear ya on the dangerous bow design. I'm guessing that's why they don't make those any more. No other safety features on that old saw either.

@esshup: I'll ask if they'll let me fire them both. Wouldn't be surprised if they said no, but its free to ask.

@outdoor: What tuning to the carb should be done right out of the box? Richer? I don't know much about chainsaw A/F ratios.
Posted By: RAH Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 12:30 AM
My Stihl 034 is on its last legs and I cannot buy parts anymore. Its only 30 years old. Why do these things where out so fast! I will need to go shopping for another one very soon.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 03:51 AM
There is so much that comes into play today on setting a carb.. Possibly even having to pull the limit caps to properly tune.. And putting them back on of course.. Most dealers send their techs to school to learn how to do just that.. As well as other things depending on the level of service the dealer chooses.. As for most saws without a limited ignition they have a max rpm setting that they will set with a tach, hopefully under for a couple of tanks then have you bring it back in for a retune..

Good techs that can hear a saw 4 stroke and have a piece of wood to run the saw in can teach you what to listen for by burying the saw in a piece of wood and letting up to hear it clean up in the cut then 4 stroke as they let up..

Once your learn to hear what four stroking is vs running away lean you will cringe when you hear people with a box store saw and a dull chain...

Some of these new saws turn over 14,000 rpm out of the box... Not much room for error with those kind of rpm's...

Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 03:58 AM
Originally Posted By: RAH
My Stihl 034 is on its last legs and I cannot buy parts anymore. Its only 30 years old. Why do these things where out so fast! I will need to go shopping for another one very soon.

The 034 are professional constructed saws with a magnesium crankcase and replaceable head.. Most parts will interchange with the 036, so don't just go throwing that saw away.. wink
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 11:56 AM
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
There is so much that comes into play today on setting a carb.. Possibly even having to pull the limit caps to properly tune.. And putting them back on of course..

Of course!!...... wink

I caution anyone who decides to "crank up" their stock saw by leaning the fuel mixture. Yes, it can be done, but with today's equipment already running on the ragged edge due to emission concerns, coupled with the high rpm that Sean spoke of, you better know what you're doing.

I've seen the results of some backyard supertuners handiwork. they usually say the same thing: "It was running fantastic right up until it quit....now I can't pull the rope!"

Sean's right, it's better to find someone who's familiar with your saw to show you how to adjust it.

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 12:23 PM
Ok, I'll dumb things down a little. Why would I want to tune a chainsaw?

I assume the factory sets them up for maximum life and easy starting, and that's what I want. By tuning, would I just be making sure the factory setting are set correctly?

I sharpen and set the tension on the blades before each use, and only use 100% gas in my power tools. Am I missing something?
Posted By: RAH Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 12:39 PM
Some of the plastic parts on my 034 are so worn that I can no longer make the switch that controls the choke and shut-off work. I have gone through many bars and sprockets on this one, so I was thinking that money would be better spent on a new one. That said, I may just pull it apart, clean everything, and see if I can keep it working another season. In any case, it will go in the barn with everything else.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 01:35 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Ok, I'll dumb things down a little. Why would I want to tune a chainsaw?

I assume the factory sets them up for maximum life and easy starting, and that's what I want. By tuning, would I just be making sure the factory setting are set correctly?

I sharpen and set the tension on the blades before each use, and only use 100% gas in my power tools. Am I missing something?

In my opinion Al, no you're not. The vast majority of the population will do just fine using the correctly sized saw right out of the box, with no adjustments needed. Once in awhile there may be an issue with the fuel mixture, such as altitude compensation, or maybe a little tweaking, but most often it's gas and go.

It's a different matter on a hot saw, where you're after every bit of performance you can get. But as with automobiles, those kinds of enhancements often involve a trade-off in another area, which may limit its practical, everyday application.

Keep doing what you're doing Al, sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things! smile
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 01:36 PM
Originally Posted By: RAH
Some of the plastic parts on my 034 are so worn that I can no longer make the switch that controls the choke and shut-off work. I have gone through many bars and sprockets on this one, so I was thinking that money would be better spent on a new one. That said, I may just pull it apart, clean everything, and see if I can keep it working another season. In any case, it will go in the barn with everything else.

Those 034's were good saws.....don't pitch it, somebody will buy it.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 02:54 PM
Okay okay, busted...

My arsenal of saws is considerable smaller that it once was and is probably still to big...LOL

I have 5 saws I use on a regular basis...

Husqvarna 346XP... 50cc.. Stock 16" for limbing..

Husqvarna 359... 60cc.. Wears anywhere from 15" to 25" bars.. Has been ported and head was machined for a pop up piston..

Stihl MS460... 76cc.. Normally wears a 25" bar.. Light porting and a MM..

Stihl 064/066.. 90cc..Wear 25" to 36" bars regularly.. Major modding and port work to fit 066 topend on 064 case...

Stihl 084... 121cc.. Wears 30" to 41" bars.. Just heavy and enough power to wear you out..

Tuning comes into play for me a lot because of what I have invested in these saws...Kind of took saws as serious as most of you take your ponds...Anything from changing bars to the size of wood makes a huge difference in these saws...
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 02:57 PM
Ok, thanks Tony. I have the utmost respect for chainsaws, and have found out over the years that a dull poorly running chainsaw is the most dangerous weapon on the property.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 03:27 PM
Sean, I don't think you can ever own enough chainsaws. I don't know how many I have right now, but I'm comfortable in saying it's up over 10.

As far as ones I use regularly, probably three? I have an old 038 Magnum with a 25" that I did a little work on years ago, and I get it out now and then just cause I like to hear that thumpity-thumpity idle that they produced. Just flat cool.
Posted By: esshup Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 06:17 PM
Al:

I think your saws will last a wee bit longer if you put a little oil in that gas....... grin
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 07:30 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Al:

I think your saws will last a wee bit longer if you put a little oil in that gas....... grin

Ok, I had that coming. Actually, there are several gas stations around here that still think corn is for roasting only. In OK, there are bunches of them that have ethanol free gas.
Posted By: esshup Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 08:35 PM
laugh

Here? I have to drive about 20 miles one way to find a service station that sells ethanol free gas. Or, I can go to the local small airport and buy 100LL av gas. That smells much better too! Too bad Tony couldn't get my Echo to run on it. Something about not being able to adjust the timing.

So, I just take 2 gas premix cans with me. One for the two Dolmars with 100LL in it, the other with 93 octane no ethanol in it.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 08:50 PM
How's that second Dolmar working out? The Echo would run on the AVgas, but you wouldn't of been happy with it. The higher the octane the slower the burn, so to compensate the ignition timing needs to be advanced in order to realize max benefits.

That little Echo just didn't have that much advance built into the stock module...I could hear the engine get lazy on the avgas.
Posted By: esshup Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/12/14 09:02 PM
Pretty good but both need some help (or it's just operator error) in cold starting (sometimes warm starting after 10 minutes too). It's either pull a LOT of times to get it to start to sputter/pop with the choke on, or pull once too many times and it's flooded.

The 5100 is HARD to turn over when it's down around 10 degrees or so. I wish it had a compression release like the 7900.

One thing I haven't learned to do is tune a 2-stroke. Maybe one of these days......... (either that or go for a drive wink )

I could dial in the 500cc snowmobile, but then again I found out that I had to have Pyrometers or I'd end up with aluminum on the sparkplug if the temps changed 20 degrees..........
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/13/14 01:56 AM
OK, so I got to compare the Echo CS-271T and the Stihl 192T side by side. The Echo weighs 6.6 lbs at 26ccs and the Stihl weighs 7.0 lbs at 30.1cc's. Pretty much not a noticeable difference. I think both saws would serve my purpose well so there was not a bad choice. I spoke with the store's repair guy about both saws. I ended up going with the Stihl, mainly due to their warranty. I can take my Stihl to any dealership in the country and they will honor my warranty. At least in Hawaii, Echo has been slow to respond to warranty work. I asked him about the flip tops being troublesome. He said that they were in the past but Stihl has redesigned them so they fall into place easier. They seem easy to navigate to me (bare handed of course). The repair guy was most helpful and filled the fuel and oil, discussed the starting procedures, and we fired it up. Cranked over on the 3rd pull, took off the choke and it fired right up. Either saw would have served me well, but I took some of you guys advice and bought straight from a dealer, who is there to service me after the sale. Next weekend I'll be taking down a jack fruit tree so we'll see how it performs.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/13/14 03:16 AM
Scott, if I lived within 3 hours of you or T I'd be in your shops every weekend, with CSBG in tow, asking you to teach me how to tinker with all my toys.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/13/14 04:00 AM
How can you not like a good chainsaw!!!

Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/13/14 04:08 AM
A husqvarna 350 a friend and I rebuilt and ported for another friend.. Went for a torque monster limbing/firewood saw.. Wish I could have kept it.. You could lean on it about as hard as you want and not slow it down..

Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/13/14 04:42 AM
OK, rookie question. Did you port out the intake or the exhaust? Just assuming the intake.
Posted By: esshup Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/13/14 05:14 AM
Congrats on the purchase!!

Now on a more serious note, what do you have for safety gear?

After using the small Echo for a long time, I jumped to an almost 80cc, 6.3 hp saw. That alone made me nervous enough to invest in some safety gear. I've seen first hand what a small saw can do to safety gear when the operator is tired and careless, so even when running the small saw (most ofthe time) I put on the gear.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/13/14 10:50 AM
I don't use safety stuff and should. I've come pretty close to getting hurt a couple of times due to stupidity and carelessness.

I bought my first saw, a Stihl about 40 years ago and have worn out 3 of them. With the exception of the flip caps, they make a good saw. I returned the latest one, before it was stolen, to the store where I bought it. They sent it to a factory repair center that claimed the caps were the old style ones and that they had replaced them with the newer models.(Why didn't they replace the ones in the stores before they were sold? Why no recall?) Anyway, it still poured oil on my leg. So, my beef is with Stihl and I refuse to do business with a company that sticks it to me like that. BTW, I called Stihl a couple of times to no avail.

I'll stick with Echo.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/13/14 01:19 PM
Originally Posted By: roadwarriorsvt
OK, rookie question. Did you port out the intake or the exhaust? Just assuming the intake.

Most woods ports consist of widening the intake and exhaust and lengthening/blending the transfers as well as opening up the muffler...

It is actually pretty easy with the right tools, but I still take my stuff to a friend that has a lot more experience than I do...Little things like ring pin placement can cause major issues if you don't know what you are doing..
Posted By: esshup Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/13/14 02:07 PM
An interesting video. From Labonville.

There used to be another video on youtube showing other mfg chaps, and the ones with less layers showed that the saw actually made it thru the protective gear.

For under $100 I think it's really, really cheap insurance!!

Fast forward this to the 8 min mark.
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/13/14 06:29 PM
As far as safety gear, just the helmet/face screen/hearing protection. Jeans, boots, and gloves are it. After watching the above vide, chaps makes sense.
Posted By: esshup Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/14/14 06:21 PM
To be totally honest, I don't wear the hard hat/face shield. I do have safety glasses/sunglasses, gloves, chaps, earplugs, steel toe leather boots. Two years ago it was hot enough out (100°+F by 11:00 a.m.) that I swapped the jeans for shorts. Still wore the chaps and the rest of the safety gear tho.
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Suggest A Small Limbing Chainsaw - 03/14/14 11:49 PM
Can't argue about trying to combat the heat. Here in Hawaii we have kind of a running joke when it comes to safety equipment saying we are wearing OSHA approved steel toe slippers!
© Pond Boss Forum