Pond Boss
Posted By: Cory C Lets See your Docks. - 05/23/13 02:57 PM
Lets see your Docks, I am wanting to start building a dock in the near future on my pond and need ideas and tips.
Posted By: Nathan Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/23/13 03:08 PM
We used old telephone poles that the utility company left on our property. You can also buy them from utility for like $5 or $10 a piece if you call them frequently and ask if they have any to get rid of.

Posted By: Cory C Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/23/13 03:10 PM
What is the best method for driving 6x6 post or telephone poles in the ground?
Posted By: Nathan Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/23/13 03:14 PM
We took advantage of the drought, and were able to use post hole diggers while the water was down. Dug about 2 ft deep, and used quickrete to hold them in place.

Some people do floating docks, and drive metal poles down while standing on the dock
Posted By: M.I.B.² Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/23/13 04:13 PM
Our dock comes out 50' and is 12' x 18' on the end.

At Night:
Posted By: Cory C Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/23/13 04:49 PM
MIB,

Wow That's Awesome! How did you set your post?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/23/13 06:01 PM
our efforts

Also, N8ly has a very nice resume of docks and other related structures somewhere on a thread within the forum.
Posted By: M.I.B.² Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/23/13 06:05 PM
The dock was actually built during the construction of the pond. The water depth at the end of the dock is approximately 7'.
Posted By: Cory C Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/23/13 08:22 PM
Yea unfortunately I will have to deal with the water level being full or just a little low to put my post in. Anybody have any experience with floating docks?
Posted By: Zep Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/23/13 08:38 PM
I am considering one of these:

http://www.pondking.com/floating-docks
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/25/13 04:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Cory C
Anybody have any experience with floating docks?

If you have to deal with fluctuating water levels, a floating dock is the way to go. A simple frame and a dozen 55 gallon drums will do it.

Posted By: hang_loose Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/25/13 05:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Zep

That looks similar to a guitar dock someone posted on this site.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/25/13 12:00 PM
Here's a couple pics from when I built it.. Just relized I have no recent pics..

Posted By: JKB Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/26/13 01:45 PM
Menards has dock floats on sale thru tomorrow, May 27th.

Dock Float

The advertisement states, buy one, get one free, plus an additional 11% rebate. That makes it $87.22 for two, plus tax.

Good deal if your building a dock and can hurry to the store.

These are manufactured by KL Industries. They make the Sun Dolphin paddle boats and such.

Posted By: Kiko Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/26/13 06:52 PM
This is a 10X16 floating dock with a 40' walkway we got off a Corp of Engineers lake (L.Hartwell) for CHEAP! I got vinyl flooring (in a wooden plank pattern) and glued overtop the original decking. Surprisingly no slipperier than wood itself. After recovering on the other side of the pond after a windy day, I had to secure it with cable tie-outs to the bank. Getting ready to put a 10X10 EZ-Up camo canopy back on for the summer. It works for a farm pond. Gotta love it.

Attached picture IMAG0546.jpg
Posted By: John Wann Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/26/13 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By: hang_loose

That looks similar to a guitar dock someone posted on this site.

Dang Zep that dock is awesome. Went to website and after Add on over $4000 with ten foot walkway and swim ladder. Not counting shipping. Would be perfect in my pond though.
Posted By: Zep Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/26/13 08:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Jwwann
Dang Zep that dock is awesome. Went to website and after Add on over $4000 with ten foot walkway and swim ladder. Not counting shipping. Would be perfect in my pond though.

Yep Jwwann it is nice, but pricey.

I called them because I really want more of a T-dock & that particular line is not offered in the T-shape at this time.

One of the reasons I like this certain line is it as they say "has no metal showing".
Not sure what we'll do, still busy cabin building.

I really like the telephone pole look that some have posted, gives it more of a vintage look that I'm after.
fish-n-chips dock shown below is about what we want.

I guess $4000 grand is high, but I priced the dock shown
below and the guy quoted me almost $20 grand turn-key!

Posted By: John Wann Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/26/13 08:43 PM

Yep Jwwann it is nice, but pricey.

I called them because I really want more of a T-dock & that particular line is not offered in the T-shape at this time.

One of the reasons I like this certain line is it as they say "has no metal showing".
Not sure what we'll do, still busy cabin building.

I really like the telephone pole look that some have posted, gives it more of a vintage look that I'm after.
fish-n-chips dock shown below is about what we want.

I guess $4000 grand is high, but I priced the dock shown
below and the guy quoted me almost $20 grand turn-key!

Dang! Talk about price shock. That is one sweet dock.
Posted By: RAH Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/26/13 09:17 PM
10 years old and doing fine. Chains with turnbuckles run from corner to corner between the fixed section and the floating section (under the ramp) to stabilize the floating section. I added rails after a couple close calls with visitors.

Posted By: Zep Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/26/13 09:19 PM
Dang! Talk about price shock. That is one sweet dock.

Yes Sir....no way paying that much.

I wonder what it would cost to have
one like fish-n-chips built? His is
floating, yet for a small dock
it is somewhat stabilized by the way
he did his posts. Pretty cool....

Posted By: Zep Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/26/13 09:22 PM
Nice RAH...
you practically got a country club on the water!
Posted By: RAH Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/26/13 09:40 PM
Thank you - A lot cheaper than the numbers flying around this thread and the bottom of the floating dock has 9 Menards' floats on the 12' x 12' section. There is a cargo net hanging outside the floating and fixed sections (outside the ramp) that I made from parachute cord which gets filled with "floaties" when it warms up. On the other side, a canoe is kept upside down (held from sliding by wood chocks.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/27/13 11:54 PM
Under 1000 bucks 16x12 with benches..

Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Here's a couple pics from when I built it.. Just relized I have no recent pics..

Posted By: Zep Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/28/13 01:59 AM
Under 1000 bucks 16x12 with benches..

You'll come build that for me for "under $1000 bucks"?

DEAL! wink
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/30/13 01:26 AM
You pay flight and hog hunt included I'm on my way. smile
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/01/13 04:42 AM
Hmmmmm, I think I smell bacon grin.
Posted By: Dustin Pratt Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/05/13 04:20 AM

Posted By: John Wann Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/05/13 06:15 AM
Anybody ever built a hillbilly dock from heat treated oak pallets and 55 gal plastic drums? Both I can get for free. I could spray paint it camo. Dreaming already.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/05/13 11:59 AM
I was passing thru a book store recently and noticed one on building docks. Never thought about looking into that avenue when researching them. I did not have the time to really look at it, but seemed nice from just thumbing thru it. Wish now I would have bought it anyway.

Perhaps Pond Boss has one they sell? Might be a good idea for the amount of interest everyone has in building them.

ZEP- don't know how much I have in my dock. Never totaled it up. I would find it hard to believe that I have more than 6-8 hundred. There is as much cost under the water as above, in bracing etc.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/05/13 05:49 PM
I didn't Build this one, but it was one of the main reasons I chose this piece of land when I was looking. I think the guy I bought from said he had around 12K in it.

The pictures don't do it justice. We have many great times on the dock!
Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/05/13 06:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Cisco
I didn't Build this one, but it was one of the main reasons I chose this piece of land when I was looking. I think the guy I bought from said he had around 12K in it.

The pictures don't do it justice. We have many great times on the dock!

Now that is one Bad A$$ dock right there...
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/05/13 08:14 PM
Lots of nice docks here, gang. I have tried but can't find pics of a dock I saw when I first joined the forum, but that one was really nice looking.

The thread was actually about crayfish and the poster had a lot of nice sized ones that were the point of his post. His dock, or pier as he referred to it, was in the background of some of the pics and was a really nice looking piece of work with what I seem to recall were rough hewn timbers. The pond wasn't full yet and so you could see the whole structure as it was built into the ground. Very nice looking dock as I recall.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/11/13 02:26 PM
Cisco,
there appears to be a rectangular "hole" in the middle of your dock. Is that for fishing? Swimming? Boating?
Posted By: Cisco Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/11/13 06:44 PM
That was intended for fishing but when I had the pond dug deeper, I was worried about any erosion that might occur. The dozer guys were told to stay at least 4' out from the dock but I think they got a little too close. That spot only has about 3' of water when the pond is at full pool.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/11/13 07:47 PM

Well, it's not mine but I can dream cool

And if when my lottery numbers come in, you're all invited out for the christening!
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/11/13 09:38 PM
Wow is that cool!!!
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/11/13 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: djstauder
Cisco,
there appears to be a rectangular "hole" in the middle of your dock. Is that for fishing? Swimming? Boating?

It's the sobriety check point. laugh
Posted By: Cisco Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/12/13 06:23 PM
It's got a rail around it but yes, it does work for that. For some reason, the guy before me had the handrail that goes around the dock made with rails the lift up in certain places around it. I'm guessing that when he had "friends" down and they got out of hand, he'd just flip the rail up and.......
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/15/13 12:42 PM
Here is a few of our dock we just finished up.

16'X16' with a 64"X16' walk way out. 12 barrels 55 gallon that were 23" diameter by 36"s. One under the walk way that is not shown in these pictures. Just have to add my anchor system to the front to level her out and a swim ladder.

She can hold a 2500# live load.

Cheers Don.

Attached picture Dock.jpg
Attached picture dock2.jpg
Attached picture dock3.jpg
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/15/13 12:59 PM
Great job Dono, very nice!

Great times ahead on that there dock!

I really like the water-feature/waterfall! Can you post some close-up pics of that? I would really be interested in how you constructed it, and is it well-water or pond water being used? Send in PM unless others are interested.

Thanks for the pics and I really like the dock!!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/15/13 01:00 PM
Looks great! Can you tell me more about those posts? (size, depth, etc), how the walkway is attached to them and how the walkway is attached to the platform? How do you plan on anchoring the platform so it doesn't swing side to side in a heavy windstorm? Labradoodle or Goldendoodle or ?
Posted By: JKB Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/15/13 01:03 PM
Nice.
Is the walkway hinged where it attaches to the dock? Can't tell by the photos.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/15/13 03:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Great job Dono, very nice!

Great times ahead on that there dock!

I really like the water-feature/waterfall! Can you post some close-up pics of that? I would really be interested in how you constructed it, and is it well-water or pond water being used? Send in PM unless others are interested.

Thanks for the pics and I really like the dock!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVcnwm6kr2g&feature=youtu.be

kind of a weak video. The top rock was about 5 feet across and the fall is about 8 feet with the pond at full pool. I have a 20 foot wide by 40 foot heavy rubber under the falls that run deep into the pond as well. When I fill my pond from the water sump I have it will flow over the falls as well. The sump pump will pump 6200 gph when on up the back of the falls with a 2" line. The water fall pump will pump 5500 gph from the pond with a 2" line as well. We stepped the bank and started at un disturbed dirt with three large 36"X24"X24" top rock or trap rock. Then my largest flat rocks all the way up. Stepping back 4 or 5 inches at a time till we ran out of rock. Keeping the rubber between the front rocks. We have more top rock or trap rock on the back where we started our base. Then piled field rock around the sides to make a mound. We then planted the pines behind so in five years it will help disguise where the water if coming from.

We used urethane water fall foam to control where we wanted the water to flow. Keeping the water flowing ahead and from running off the sides. A shot of foam then stone on top to redirect the water off the front of the stone.

We put beach stone. Round granite rock 2-4" below the falls deep into the pond till the rubber run out. This was for the hope that the bank will not erode with the water flowing down the falls. AND with the crazy hope in the future I can get walleye to spawn in my pond. This will be after we give the perch three year head start on numbers.

Originally Posted By: esshup
Looks great! Can you tell me more about those posts? (size, depth, etc), how the walkway is attached to them and how the walkway is attached to the platform? How do you plan on anchoring the platform so it doesn't swing side to side in a heavy windstorm? Labradoodle or Goldendoodle or ?

Those posts are Pine posts 10"X10"X96" that are dug into the ground 4 feet. We need to go down 4 feet for frost here or the frost will lift the post. I have one bag of concrete on the bottom of the post to prevent any frost lift on the sides of the posts.

We used these.
http://www.dockaccents.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=DH00HS
We used four of these on each corner of the walk way.

My plan is to do this (see attachment) on the front corners. I may not place the full log like anchor on the bottom just a full bucket of concrete then a second that is 2/3rds of a bucked hanging. Just did a depth check and we are at 11 foot 5 inches and are down 6"s from full pool. Some stainless aircraft cable and crimps through a 8" pulley. 8" pulley so I can get a 14" bucket to hang with out rubbing on the cable. Each bucket will have a eyelet bolt anchored in the concrete. I will cut the steel handles off the buckets. If you can spot it in the dock but I have plans for an extra 200 pounds to hang off the dock at the front that should level the dock and load the barrels so the dock has little pitch and roll to it.

We are going to place a 12X12 bolt up gazebo with a canvas top that we can take off for the winter.

Yes that is Lacy our golden doodle. She is just about one year old and loves the adventures down at the pond.

Cheers Don.

Attached picture dock stabilizer.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/15/13 05:21 PM
When I was in the local water ski club, we used a system like that to anchor the ski jump in place. The only difference is that we made an "X" with the anchors on the bottom - we didn't run them straight up. Pully on the right had the cable running to the anchor that was under the pully on the left, pully on the left had the cable running to an anchor that was under the pully on the right. It worked very well. The problem that we had was not making the cables long enough for high water. The local rugrats would all climb on the jump, making it sink, then they'd all bail off. When it popped up, it would pop up high enough so it'd slightly yank on the anchors because the counterweights would slam into the bottom of the jump.

Due to those problems and concerns about liability we pulled it off the lake (public lake).
Posted By: 2Old2Soon Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/15/13 05:33 PM
I'm planning to build one very similar, only a little smaller, perhaps 12 x 16. In order to level the dock due to the weight of the gangway on the one side, I was thinking to add a couple of extra barrels on that side and add ballast (water) to level. Is that a reasonable approach or is there a better way?
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/16/13 01:25 PM
When I was in the local water ski club, we used a system like that to anchor the ski jump in place. The only difference is that we made an "X" with the anchors on the bottom - we didn't run them straight up. Pully on the right had the cable running to the anchor that was under the pully on the left, pully on the left had the cable running to an anchor that was under the pully on the right. It worked very well. The problem that we had was not making the cables long enough for high water. The local rugrats would all climb on the jump, making it sink, then they'd all bail off. When it popped up, it would pop up high enough so it'd slightly yank on the anchors because the counterweights would slam into the bottom of the jump.

Due to those problems and concerns about liability we pulled it off the lake (public lake).

You know I was thinking of crossing the cables to but worried about the fish the kids catch off the dock wrapping them self around the cables. Just with the two on the corners may be allot as well to get wrapped around.

How well did the anchor system balance the jump for list and bounces?

Originally Posted By: 2Old2Soon
I'm planning to build one very similar, only a little smaller, perhaps 12 x 16. In order to level the dock due to the weight of the gangway on the one side, I was thinking to add a couple of extra barrels on that side and add ballast (water) to level. Is that a reasonable approach or is there a better way?

You know after doing this I wish I had added some water to the barrels to lower my float height. I may have to add another barrel under the walk way too. I only have one under it. The whole dock is listing back to the walk way 3" on the 16 feet because of the weight of the walk. I really really under estimated the weight of the walk.

The other thought is to move the rear barrels back closer to the walk to help lift the rear of the dock. Because of the direction of the joist it only a few screws to move the barrel back if they are not wedged in there tight yet.

I bought a full lift of 2X6 for a total of 96 sticks. I then bought one 8 foot 6X6 for the 10" blocks in the corners and four good 16 foot 2X12 for the outer rim of main dock. All the barrels are set back 12" from the rim of the dock then evenly spaced joist between the barrels was about a 10" on center. All the joist are 2X6 with 2X6 bridging block rows on 4 foot centers. With the 2X12 16 footers they were 16 foot 3/4 of an inch long so I trimmed them to 16 foot 1/2 inch. My 2X6 were all 16 foot 1/4 inch so I did not need to cut anything just lay the deck boards in a screw them off. The ends are end screwed in through the 2X12. It is best to screw the full deck off before the sun get at the wood and warps it all before you get it screwed.

The walk way was 16 foot 3 inch long. I made it 64"s wide so I could get 3 planks out of each 16 foot 2X16. The long span of the 16 foot walk we put them on 10" centers and bridging blocking every 3 feet. I really should have placed two barrels under the walk because I have just about got that barrel totally under water and still have a list to her.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: esshup Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/16/13 01:41 PM
The anchor system worked very well. It was considerably larger than yours tho - the anchors were large concrete blocks, and the counterweights were large as well. The jump had to be held in position so you hit it the same every time, whether there were waves from boats or not. That was pretty critical because a good skiier would hit it at 50 mph or more.

It'll be interesting to see how my dock floats. I've been lax in getting it done, but it will be in the water by the middle of July. I have 22 barrels under it. Walkway is 16'x4', end of pier is 12'x8'. Gangplank is 4'x16'. I figured I had to have 2 55 gal barrels and one 30 gal barrel at the end where the gangplank rested on the pier to keep it floating level.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/16/13 04:44 PM
22 barrels wow. A small tip that worked great was we framed it next to the water with no decking. I lifted the frame work up one end at a time to lay fence posts under it. I then pushed the dock out to the water with my loader tractor with dock rolling on the fence posts. At the 50/50 position on the shore I pushed the dock down with the loader to raise the water side and two guys one on each side put the first row of barrels in. Then I chained the outer stringer farthest from the water in the center. Lifted her way up and moved ahead. As we went in I lowered the loader and had the boys place the barrels under till we had her all floating. It would have been allot of lifting with out the loader tractor for the size of the dock.

My joists were spaced at 19" center for my 23" diameter barrels. The joist were 2X6 and the blocking I used to hold the barrel in were 2X10 because with the 2X12 outer rim and the 2X6 dropped for the 1.5" decking the 2X10 was perfectly level with the bottom of the 2X12 rum joist. These 2X10 blocks worked great to hold the barrels in with out squirting out as we launched the dock.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: esshup Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/17/13 12:44 AM
Thanks for the tips! I'm planning on something similar, but I only have a small Kubota tractor with FEL.

Same as you, it's framed with the barrels under it. I'm going to pick it up, (it's sideways to the pond now) and put PVC pipes under the barrels. I figure the plastic barrels will slide pretty easily on the PVC pipes. 2 pipes per barrel, sorta like launching a boat into the water. At least that's the plan. Right now the frame is approximately 8' from the water's edge, and it's on a 6:1 slope so there isn't a big drop to get to the water.

I plan on drilling/washing 2" Galvanized pipe into the pond bottom, and let the floating portion slide up/down over the pipes. There will be plastic sleeves U-bolted to the outside of the pier in 6 places and the pipes will be inside the plastic PVC. The walkway will be hinged to a 12' long, 4' wide platform that is attached to 8 pieces of 4"x6"x4'-8' long treated timbers that are sunk into the ground and concreted in. The walkway is 16' long, and will roll over the top of the floaing portion of the pier. Once it's floating I'll add the decking. The decking where the walkway rolls on the pier will be in place before it's floated. From low to full pool, I figure the walkway will only roll 18" max.
Posted By: lassig Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/17/13 12:07 PM
Scott,

I am thinking of a very similar design so post lots of pictures. Mine most likely will not get done this year. I am just getting started on the deck for the house. Need to finish that this summer and have lots of plans for fall food plots so the rest of my summer is taken
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/18/13 10:46 AM
Just built this on the pond yesterday smile

Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/22/13 05:26 PM
Got my weights on the dock today. What a huge difference in stability.

One five gallon pail filled to the top with 1.5 bags of sacrete stone mix with a 1/2"X8" eye bolt. 3/16th cable to the another bucket filled with one full bag of sacrete stone mix with eye bolt. Attached to the bottom of the dock is another eye bolt lock nut and washer. Hung off that is an 8" cloths line pulley. Cable runs over the pulley full bucket sits on the bottom the lighter bucket is 2/3rds the way up from the bottom. Both outer most corners of the dock are anchored this way.

As we add weight of people on the dock the bucket will sink down and the weight of the bucket and the drag in the water stops the dock from bouncing and it takes all the jounce out of the dock.

I would highly recommend any floating dock to have this system. My problem was that I am 11.5 feet of water right off the dock. To pound a post into the bottom of the pond was less of an option.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/22/13 06:03 PM
That sounds like a great plan!!!
Posted By: JKB Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/23/13 12:39 AM
Just built this on the pond yesterday smile

Ya had to ruin it with that cheesy railing and crappy colors. Man, that hurt my eyes wink laugh
Posted By: RAH Re: Lets See your Docks. - 07/27/13 04:37 PM
I thought that I'd share how I use the space beside the gangway from my fixed dock and floating dock in case anyone is interested in doing something similar.

Posted By: fish n chips Re: Lets See your Docks. - 07/27/13 05:13 PM
I really like that RAH. It's great when everything you want is nearby. Looks like you have it figured out!!!!
Posted By: Curtis R Re: Lets See your Docks. - 07/30/13 10:11 PM
This is my work in progress... have a few things I want to add to it still.

Posted By: RAH Re: Lets See your Docks. - 07/31/13 12:36 AM
Sharp!
Posted By: ewest Re: Lets See your Docks. - 08/05/13 07:20 PM
Swimming platform

Small pier

Big dock

Medium dock

Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Lets See your Docks. - 08/09/13 03:26 PM
Thanks for the tips! I'm planning on something similar, but I only have a small Kubota tractor with FEL.

Same as you, it's framed with the barrels under it. I'm going to pick it up, (it's sideways to the pond now) and put PVC pipes under the barrels. I figure the plastic barrels will slide pretty easily on the PVC pipes. 2 pipes per barrel, sorta like launching a boat into the water. At least that's the plan. Right now the frame is approximately 8' from the water's edge, and it's on a 6:1 slope so there isn't a big drop to get to the water.

I plan on drilling/washing 2" Galvanized pipe into the pond bottom, and let the floating portion slide up/down over the pipes. There will be plastic sleeves U-bolted to the outside of the pier in 6 places and the pipes will be inside the plastic PVC. The walkway will be hinged to a 12' long, 4' wide platform that is attached to 8 pieces of 4"x6"x4'-8' long treated timbers that are sunk into the ground and concreted in. The walkway is 16' long, and will roll over the top of the floaing portion of the pier. Once it's floating I'll add the decking. The decking where the walkway rolls on the pier will be in place before it's floated. From low to full pool, I figure the walkway will only roll 18" max.

esshup,

Did you get your dock built yet?
Posted By: esshup Re: Lets See your Docks. - 08/10/13 03:50 AM
It's not completed yet. Too many other things get in the way. I'm slowly pecking away at it.

For instance, today I left the house @ 7:00 a.m. and returned at 8:30 p.m.
Posted By: JKB Re: Lets See your Docks. - 08/10/13 10:11 AM
It's not completed yet. Too many other things get in the way. I'm slowly pecking away at it.

Should have devoted a portion of the 20th to a dock building demonstration wink Had plenty of man power!

Where did you get those corner brackets?
Posted By: esshup Re: Lets See your Docks. - 08/10/13 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: JKB

Should have devoted a portion of the 20th to a dock building demonstration wink Had plenty of man power!

Where did you get those corner brackets?

laugh

You mean these? http://www.dockbuilders.com/floating-dock-hardware2.htm
Posted By: JKB Re: Lets See your Docks. - 08/10/13 10:07 PM
Yes, Thanks!!!

I want to put them on the corners of a couple portable shelters to aid in moving them in the future. They should do the trick!
Posted By: Tree Farmer Re: Lets See your Docks. - 08/21/13 07:08 PM
I really like this topic, and thought I would add my dock in a bit prematurely. It is 24x32, and is situated on a ledge of hardpan so that the deepest posts are in about 5' of water, but at the end of the overhanging joists it is 8-10', and three feet further out it is 12-14'. We had the pond builder dig straight down in this area for this purpose. There will be a 15x15 covered section in the middle of the dock...which I will finish at a later date.

BTW...I sketched the dock out in great detail for the better half, discussed it, compared it to other docks, etc. She saw all the posts in the ground, then the beams on the posts. When I finished the last joist, she said "why did you make it so big?" We do have a large family nearby, and we've had 20-30+ people at the lake the last two weekends eating, fishing, swimming, playing water polo with beach balls, etc. I'm sure we will use the entire surface.

Sorry this pic is in low light...completed versions will be better.

Attached picture dock.jpg
Posted By: Tree Farmer Re: Lets See your Docks. - 10/15/13 07:07 PM
Thought I would provide updated pics of my dock. You can see the 15x15 center section that has a 2x8 cross with 2x4 diagonals. The outer sections are 2x6. The center joists are 12" on center, the outer joists are 16" on center. All 2x6 decking boards were edge screwed with a CAMO jig...works great and I highly recommend the CAMO pro (only about $40). For the 2x4s, I put one CAMO screw in each end to hold it in place, then used a punch and hammer to make a small hole on the edges. The CAMO screw then went into this small hole and drilled the rest of the way.

I don't think it is visible in the pics, but I eased all of the floorboards with a 1/2" roundover bit...really helped the appearance and comfort on bare feet. The four posts in the middle will support a roof, and will be covered up about 30" by rock. Hope to have a ceiling fan, lights, etc. Also planning an outdoor kitchen/grill area on the land side. Lots of work yet to be done!

Also notice that I have some more excavating work to do around the pond...one of several areas where I should have held the contractor more accountable!

Attached picture Dock Picture 2.JPG
Attached picture Dock Picture 1.JPG
Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/24/16 03:44 PM
Any more dock pics out there? I'm going to be building my dock in a couple weeks and I'll throw some pics up on the build.
Posted By: Mobley HVAC Re: Lets See your Docks. - 05/24/16 05:57 PM
Little differnt dock than most

Attached picture 20160524_133136.jpg
Attached picture 20160524_135424-1600x1202.jpg
Posted By: 1974cj5 Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/10/16 03:33 PM
Posted By: Flame Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/10/16 05:02 PM
Just the way we did it. Funny story. We bought the pontoon boat first anticipating we would build a pond in the future.

Attached picture 193.jpg
Posted By: Fireboy92 Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/27/16 07:19 PM
First post on PB, wanted to share the dock construction on our recently renovated (but still leaking cry) .5 Acre pond. The pond is just East of Rusk TX and is 12'x20'. I used sketchup to design the dock and we started construction before the pond filled. We need a little more dirt brought in on top of the dam to level it off and then we will construct a step the full width of the dock. After a drying period we plan to stain. We did all the work ourselves and probably have $4k into it.

Posted By: BrianL Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/27/16 08:25 PM
Just finished mine about a week ago.

Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/27/16 08:37 PM
Here's mine. Very simple, but did not want to invest a whole lot while not knowing if the pond would hold water....it's still leaking some since it first filled last Nov 18. This was taken after a big rain, and the straw I had spread to control erosion floated in the pond.

Attached picture DSCN4072.JPG
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/28/16 03:53 AM
Some Menards dock kits.. (4 of the 4x10s, reconfigured)
Posted By: esshup Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/28/16 04:05 AM
Used these brackets:

along with 2" galvanized pipe for posts and cross pieces to support treated 2"x8". Top of pier is plastic "wood". Slicker than owl you know what if you try to walk left to right when there is snow/ice on it, and you have to be careful when it is wet. Pier is 60' long and 4' wide. End is 8'x10'

Posted By: Zep Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/28/16 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: BrianL

Brian that is an interesting design.

Do the two separate walkways make the casting deck a lot more stable?
Posted By: ToddM Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/28/16 04:35 PM
Posted By: Zep Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/28/16 04:57 PM
wow...Todd that looks like a postcard!
Posted By: BrianL Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/28/16 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: BrianL

Brian that is an interesting design.

Do the two separate walkways make the casting deck a lot more stable?

I don't have a lot of reference, but it is pretty stable. I thought having two anchor points would help keep it from swaying in higher winds, and put less stress on the anchor chain retainer. I can also disconnect and have two separate docks, swim dock, etc.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/28/16 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Fireboy92
First post on PB, wanted to share the dock construction on our recently renovated (but still leaking cry) .5 Acre pond. The pond is just East of Rusk TX and is 12'x20'. I used sketchup to design the dock and we started construction before the pond filled. We need a little more dirt brought in on top of the dam to level it off and then we will construct a step the full width of the dock. After a drying period we plan to stain. We did all the work ourselves and probably have $4k into it.

Welcome to the forum, Chris - thanks for posting! Stick around, we look forward to learning more about your pond and goals and will help wherever we can.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/29/16 10:11 AM
Pretty neat dock.
Posted By: Hollywood Re: Lets See your Docks. - 06/29/16 11:37 AM
Just a simple 12 X 14 swimming dock...

Posted By: GreatGardener Re: Lets See your Docks. - 08/22/16 02:10 AM
Inspiration for a dock too...

My Curved garden stream bridge. 22 ft long.

Pictures --->

Hold by just 4 posts in concrete !
© Pond Boss Forum