Pond Boss
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt My First Tractor-Ford 9N - 04/07/13 07:13 AM
Not that I NEED a tractor, but this old iron was on our local Craigslist.Its a diesel and still running. I suspect the clutch is froze up and will try to free it up from some techniques I learned from Googling. Even a clutch replacement isn't very difficult on these old war horses. I doubt I'll put it thru its paces again. Probably just pull the grandkids around in a wagon on my neighbors farm. I've found a couple of antique tractor websites, but if anyone knows where I can get more info on this tractor, it would be appreciated.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: My First Tractor-Ford 9N - 04/07/13 12:13 PM
The 9N's were solid tractors for their time, '39-'42. To my knowledge they never built one with a diesel, so perhaps yours is a conversion from a later date.

Have fun with it!
Posted By: Yellow Jacket Re: My First Tractor-Ford 9N - 04/07/13 12:42 PM
Tractorbynet.com is a good forum.

If they don't have a 9n group, they can point you to one.
Posted By: esshup Re: My First Tractor-Ford 9N - 04/07/13 03:14 PM
I agree with Tony. I've never heard of a diesel one. My partner has one, I'll see if I can get him to chime in here. His is partially apart at the moment in his garage. He's got an overheating problem, and that has turned into a hard/no start problem.....
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: My First Tractor-Ford 9N - 04/07/13 03:29 PM
I've had several of them but never heard of a diesel.
Posted By: Clayton Re: My First Tractor-Ford 9N - 04/07/13 05:59 PM
It is hard to tell between all of the different old Ford models unless you're really into antique tractors. Starting in the late 50's they introduced a three-digit numbering system. About the same time (maybe '55-57) they came out with a diesel...but it was not a 9N. It was something like a 501 (unsure.) The sheet metal doesn't look original to me, but nonetheless it's probably a fine tractor for pulling around the grandkids, mowing, and other chores. Have fun with it!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: My First Tractor-Ford 9N - 04/07/13 06:59 PM
We used to have an old Ford Jubilee. I believe it was an 8N. As hard as we tried, we could never kill it. It was solid as a rock.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: My First Tractor-Ford 9N - 04/07/13 07:06 PM
I too have never seen a 9N, 8N, or 2N with a diesel engine. Over the years I've had a 9N, an 8N with the front distributor, and an 8N with the side distributor.

The diesel might be real good for that old tractor frame and body. It seemed like every time I wanted to use any of my three old for tractors, I had to clean/set the points and re-adjust the carburetor.
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: My First Tractor-Ford 9N - 04/09/13 07:57 AM
I'm surprised to hear Ford never made diesels since my Dad had an 8N diesel also. I think it was called an 801 Workmaster. But in my research, I've not read where Ford produced a diesel. I guess it was a popular swap. Thanks for the link YJ.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: My First Tractor-Ford 9N - 04/09/13 11:15 AM
The 801 Workmaster was a later, bigger model than an 8N, and it was available with a factory diesel. The early "N" series of tractors were built according to Henry Ford's idea of one model being good enough for everyone.....and it worked for a model T, but by the time the early to mid fifties came around farmers were clamoring for options...

So Ford revamped the lineup with the three digit series. For the first time, Ford offered a selection of tractors, rather than just one.

Now that I think about it, I believe the 8-900 series were called Powermasters, while the 5-6-700 series were Workmasters.
Posted By: Tums Re: My First Tractor-Ford 9N - 04/09/13 01:49 PM
I have a 8N and some of the N Models where made to run on distillate fuels.
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: My First Tractor-Ford 9N - 04/10/13 02:06 AM
Really? That would be cool. You could park the tractor, take out the carb's bowl plug and get lit!

Thanks for that information Sparky!
© Pond Boss Forum