Pond Boss
Posted By: swampmusic Homemade Electroshocker? - 03/15/13 03:07 AM
Yes, maybe I have fallen off my rocker with this idea. But anyone ever heard of/seen/built a homemade shocker? Surely it can be done somehow. Maybe even done safely, who knows?
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Homemade Electroshocker? - 03/15/13 03:23 AM
There is some DIY things in life that I block out and they are as follows.
1- dynamite
2- packing my parachute
3- giving birth
4- electorshocking
Posted By: kenc Re: Homemade Electroshocker? - 03/15/13 03:51 AM
After having my prostate removed,I had what I thought was bad gas pains,the nurse comes in and tells me it is what a woman feels with child birth. We would not have had the youngest only the oldest.
Posted By: esshup Re: Homemade Electroshocker? - 03/15/13 06:03 AM
Originally Posted By: swampmusic
Yes, maybe I have fallen off my rocker with this idea. But anyone ever heard of/seen/built a homemade shocker? Surely it can be done somehow. Maybe even done safely, who knows?

I've heard of it being done, but for harvesting fish for the table, not for stunning them and releasing them back into the pond.

I'm no electrical wizard, but I believe that's why the electronics on a shock boat are expensive. Cheap ones don't work.
Posted By: swampmusic Re: Homemade Electroshocker? - 03/15/13 06:47 AM
Yeah, you're probably right. Last time I experimented with electricity it didn't end so well.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Homemade Electroshocker? - 03/15/13 12:48 PM
I have a pretty strong background in electronic and electrical design, including a lot of safety related design training. I personally wouldn't attempt it without a lot of study. There are just way too many places where a small error could result in a major disaster.
Posted By: ewest Re: Homemade Electroshocker? - 03/15/13 03:26 PM
Welcome to PB.

The old hand held cranks work well but often kill the fish. Don't stick your hand (or anything else) in the water when cranking. Note it is not legal to crank up fish. Kidding of course.

The control units on electrofishing equipment are complex and the boats have a continuous kill switch for a very good reason. A lot can go wrong with electricity and water plus the fish are not real fond of the experience.
Posted By: gallop Re: Homemade Electroshocker? - 03/15/13 03:36 PM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Posted By: scampbell Re: Homemade Electroshocker? - 03/15/13 06:05 PM
Smith root has them on their site I think, not sure how to rig it up once you get, but I would have to think it could be done.
Would love to have with all the water we have in the family,
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Homemade Electroshocker? - 03/15/13 06:10 PM
Long distance telephone mags.....seven magnets.

And that's all I'm gonna' say about that.
Posted By: gully washer Re: Homemade Electroshocker? - 03/15/13 08:30 PM
Be sure and have someone take pictures. Preferably from the bank, so as to possibly prevent the digital camera from being fried.
© Pond Boss Forum