Pond Boss
Posted By: Grundulis Creating depth map for a pond or a lake - 09/05/11 08:26 AM
I want to create depth maps for my ponds and also for some lakes. If I got boat, sonar, GPS device and laptop, everything seems to be easy. I drive all route, every x seconds sonar measures depth, GPS records coordinates and in the end everything is written in a file. After that I take some software and it creates graphic model.
On the paper it seems really easy but I haven't started my work yet and I wanted to ask for some advice (probably some of you have experience with such work). Could you recommend me any software that could be handy in this case? And maybe there are any other details that I should know before starting?
Posted By: RAH Re: Creating depth map for a pond or a lake - 09/05/11 11:05 AM
Linking the hardware to software sounds like a buisiness opportunity...
Posted By: RAH Re: Creating depth map for a pond or a lake - 09/05/11 11:14 AM
Do it yourself link

http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/mapping-a-lake.html

Posted By: esshup Re: Creating depth map for a pond or a lake - 09/05/11 02:02 PM
PM sent.
Posted By: ewest Re: Creating depth map for a pond or a lake - 09/05/11 02:03 PM
A number of PB advertisers/service providers have such a program and will do that for you. You could contact them about the program or try a DYI version. I did mine years ago manually (map and depthfinder in a small boat). It is very rough and nothing to compare with the very good maps you can get now using current programs.
I've done something like in "Do it yourself" link some time ago but that's only possible for small ponds. Now I'm thinking about possibility to create automated system that would allow fast and efficient work.
Thanks for response and PMs.
© Pond Boss Forum