Pond Boss
Posted By: Sniper Removing Silt - 06/14/11 11:25 PM
Hey Sportsfans,

We are in a drought in NE Texas and hence the water is loooowwwwwwww. I want to shave off some sand/silt with the tractor bucket. Our area is sand over clay.

Question: Keeping in mind that a tractor IS NOT a bulldozer, and avoiding floating my cap, is there anything I should be concerned about?

Please and thank you.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Removing Silt - 06/15/11 01:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Sniper

Question: Keeping in mind that a tractor IS NOT a bulldozer, and avoiding floating my cap, is there anything I should be concerned about?

I've floated my cap more than once, mostly while fishing the local rivers for smallmouth.

If you are going to clean out the pond, make sure you have a good winch.

Bathing your tractor!
Posted By: Sniper Re: Removing Silt - 06/15/11 01:44 PM
Okay, there, Cat. That is why so may pickmeups have winches on the front of their veeehicles.
Posted By: Sniper Re: Removing Silt - 06/19/11 06:42 PM
I started my silt removal project last Thursday and was very successful in the AM. However, I cannot leave well enough alone. Went back out after lunch and got the tractor stuck. I tried to pull it out with a pickup and got that stuck too. 100F degrees.

Swallowed my pride and got a neighbor with a monster JD. He pulled me out and politely refrained from laughing.

I told my wife that someday this would be funny, but not THIS day.
Posted By: esshup Re: Removing Silt - 06/19/11 06:51 PM
I gotta ask. Pictures???? grin
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Removing Silt - 06/19/11 10:37 PM
We've all done that.
Posted By: jakeb Re: Removing Silt - 06/19/11 10:47 PM
We hired a pond cleaned out and the dozer man got stuck twice before he had to stop.
Posted By: Sniper Re: Removing Silt - 06/19/11 10:58 PM
Yes, yes, it's just so frustrating to be reminded of your own stupidity.

Pictures? No. The pride would not let me click the shutter. Got to lighten up, I guess.

I can't imagine getting a dozer stuck. Guess you need another dozer or two, to get it out. What could be heavier than a dozer?

Note to silt removers: The top is dry and cracked, but just below it is wet and slippery. Believe me, please.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Removing Silt - 06/20/11 10:26 AM
I once walked out onto a dried up and crusted pond. Then I went to my thighs in chocolate pudding.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Removing Silt - 06/28/11 02:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Sniper
I told my wife that someday this would be funny, but not THIS day.

Just so you know, I believe it is officially funny on this day!

Great story, buddy! Sorry to hear you got stuck, but at least you made some progress. Pics? We won't require pics of the stuck tractor and truck (though those would count for a lot of extra credit points!).
Posted By: Sniper Re: Removing Silt - 06/28/11 09:35 PM
Just like a barrister to want proof.

For some reason, when I have used the tractor since, it veers away sharply from the pond when I get within one hundred yards. Strange, eh?
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Removing Silt - 06/29/11 03:59 AM
Pavlovian-type response, perhaps!
© Pond Boss Forum