Pond Boss
Posted By: Brettski Decking tip - 08/16/10 12:29 AM
Some will recall our dock construction thread from a few years back. I opted to keep it simple (and affordable) by using green treated 2 x 6 lumber for the decking. I also opted for use of hidden fasteners which turned out to be considerably more difficult than just running screws thru the decking. In hindsight, some 3+ years later, it has and continues to pay back.
The decking is still in excellent shape. There are virtually "zero" pops and/or squeaks as I walk over it. It is still as tight as a drum. What is really eye-opening is the changes that the decking goes thru as the humidity and the rain comes and goes. It expands and contracts in noticeable amounts. When it is wet or the humidity is high for extended periods, it expands to nearly close many of the gaps. When it dries out, the gaps open substantially to 1/8" - 3/16". The beauty of the Tiger Claw hidden fasteners is that the decking "slides" along the supporting frame while being continually pulled tightly down. Some of the boards did cup slightly, but it is only noticeable when looking at the edge of the deck. Moreover, these cupped boards are also locked down and slide back and forth, maintaining the tight and squeak-free platform.
Ironically, the 2 outside boards that start and stop the run of deck boards (one at each edge of the deck) are screwed down. These boards have some squeaking.
Posted By: esshup Re: Decking tip - 08/16/10 06:25 AM
Thanks for the update. The dock is planned for this winter.
© Pond Boss Forum