Pond Boss
Posted By: heliman500 Unidentified pondweed - 05/27/20 02:34 PM
Hello all, can anyone help to identify this pond weed that exploded this spring. It is submersed growing from the pond floor. The branch and stems are very thin, probably no thicker than (1/32"). Also, any recommendations how to control it?
Thanks in advance!

Attached picture IMG_6560.jpg
Attached picture IMG_6565.jpg
Attached picture IMG_6568.jpg
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Unidentified pondweed - 05/28/20 01:12 PM
Welcome to the forum, first off I am not a plant expert that for sure. I have some southern naiad (Bushy Pondweed) that looks very similar to your pictures. It pretty aggressive in my pond. I suggest you go to TAMU Aquaplant for identification and treatment. And be careful when killing off plants, it can kill your fish if water is too warm or you add too much etc. And someone else might show up here for a better analysis of your plants.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Unidentified pondweed - 05/28/20 08:42 PM
Bushy Pondweed would be my guess, but I think there are some look-alikes out there and I'm not too familiar with the Bushy variety.

Welcome to the forums heli...!
Posted By: heliman500 Re: Unidentified pondweed - 05/31/20 04:21 AM
Thank you Tracy. I'll take a look. Good to know about the risk of killing fish too, definitely don't want that!...the bass are finally getting to a size worth catching
Posted By: heliman500 Re: Unidentified pondweed - 05/31/20 04:25 AM
Cheers Noel. I was thinking the same but not 100% sure, but either way the herbicide will likely be the same.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Unidentified pondweed - 05/31/20 05:50 AM
That looks more like Sago pondweed to me.
Not a terrible plant to have-in fact a good macrophyte-but depending on conditions it can spread extensively.
Posted By: heliman500 Re: Unidentified pondweed - 06/02/20 06:53 AM
Just looked up the sago; Sure does look similar. Has anyone had good results using cutine plus to control submersed pond weed?
Posted By: Augie Re: Unidentified pondweed - 06/02/20 01:38 PM
Cutrine+ is primarily an algicide. I've been using it this spring to control a bumper crop of FA. It doesn't phase the pondweed.
Posted By: heliman500 Re: Unidentified pondweed - 06/28/20 08:03 PM
Thanks Augie. Ended up using product called weedtrine which seemed to work well.
© Pond Boss Forum