Pond Boss
Posted By: R&R Casualties at the pond - 03/09/20 03:04 PM
Found this 22" Bass laying on my Dam. mad And this 9 Pointer Almost completely submerged. frown

Attached picture IMG_2220.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2224.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2225.JPG
Posted By: gehajake Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/09/20 03:54 PM
Could the buck have broken through the ice? just thinking out loud. dont know about the bass, almost doesn't look like otter, or I say that, most Ive seen around the pond was just the head of fish.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/09/20 05:32 PM
Is the bass food for an otter?
Posted By: R&R Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/09/20 06:21 PM
Been an Extremely mild winter and really haven't had an Ice over event. I suspect he got hit by a car and made it the 50 yards or so down to the water. But no telling for sure. I feel like he hadn't been there super long time. My first thought on the Bass was "Damn Blue Heron". Never seen an otter up to this point. Vulture's were feeding on him when I walked up on it. Again no telling for sure.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/09/20 09:49 PM
When deer have CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) they will go to water and are found in and around the water edge. Is CWD around your area? Not sure how the lmb got there, maybe he was caught by an otter or Bald Eagle and left as you or someone else approached the pond?
Posted By: RAH Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/10/20 11:20 AM
CWD has apparently not yet been detected in Indiana deer

https://www.whas11.com/article/news...417-851896d5-4e9e-42da-b3bb-e82f91322b08
Posted By: R&R Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/10/20 03:55 PM
Haven't heard of any CWD in the area. We have had a substantial amount of EHD in a neighboring county this past year. We have had a few Bald Eagles over the past few years and an Osprey hang around for awhile. Two of my "Goals" A double digit Bass from my pond and a Boone and Crocket Deer. Makes seeing anything removed from the pool too early hurt a little more. Guy's gotta dream right?????
Posted By: RAH Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/10/20 06:22 PM
Have not broken 170in myself, but have a pic with double main-beams! Maybe when he grows up!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/11/20 02:23 AM
That’s an interesting looking buck for sure RAH wonder if he will carryover same next antlers
Posted By: Mfitzs70 Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/11/20 09:17 AM
My opinion when CWD is present you will see groups of dead deer not just one on its own. At least that's what I've seen in Ohio.
Posted By: RAH Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/11/20 11:16 AM
He was following a nice 10 and I have several others that should be very nice next year if they make it. Glad that the diseases have not yet made it to my area. Hoping they increase doe quotas in my county to keep the herd healthy. I took my limit this year and the yotes should help this spring (neighbor saw a doe with 2 tiny fawns already).
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/11/20 06:02 PM
We have a hard time convincing neighbors to let them go till minimum 4-1/2 yo
Posted By: RAH Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/11/20 08:07 PM
Same here, and sometimes its hard to tell age. My highest scoring antlers came off a fairly young deer that I snuck up on bedded. 12-pt mainframe with 3 scorable stickers. Poor visibility of the body but I put a good shot on him. Later found the trail cam shots.

This one looks young as well, but never actually saw him.

Posted By: TGW1 Re: Casualties at the pond - 03/12/20 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
We have a hard time convincing neighbors to let them go till minimum 4-1/2 yo

It has been hard to get my son to not shot the younger bucks. He is getting better at it though. And my offset neighbors put little pressure on the deer herd but I still see 3 1/2 yr old bucks and younger for the most part. We see a few older bucks each season but not all that many. I think that is because they become more nocturnal as they get older. We will get some pic's and see where they will hang around for a couple of weeks and then there gone. It does seem like there will be another show up to replace that buck that left the farm.
© Pond Boss Forum