Pond Boss
Posted By: Brad346 Getting kids out there. - 10/26/19 02:03 AM
I spend a lot of my time in the field helping kids get their animals. Mostly we hunt turkeys, but I got to be a part of something pretty special a couple of weeks ago.

Kristyn is a friend’s daughter. Last year she came and hunted elk with me at 12 years old. We got lucky early and she filled her B list, private land cow tag the first evening.

She still had an either sex tag. She managed to get on a really good bull, but just couldn’t settle in for the shot in time. He got away.

She took a turkey this spring.

This fall she was determined to redeem herself in the bull department. No small task. We had a few elk on the property. One herd bull, a couple of satellites and about 35 cows/not legal bulls. I put them to bed Saturday morning on BLM. We both had private land tags, so we set up where we thought they would come out. Another friend that was already done hunting saw them go the other way. We moved, almost botched it, then she set up and waited for about 2 hours for the elk to move. When the bull stepped behind a tree, dad told her to get ready on the next opening. He would cow call and the bull would stop.

EeewwwBANG. She wasn’t waiting too long this time! Absolutely stoned him. He took 2 steps and went down.

A very happy 13 year old young lady.
She let me help her pack it out.

She isn’t the only kid I’ve helped. Her older sister has taken 2 cows hunting with me, but has been too busy with high school activities the last few years.

My son killed a great bull his first year out, at 12. I helped a little. He is spoiled now.

Both these bulls are better than any I have ever killed, and we don’t kill many bulls here. I’m starting think beginner’s luck is real. Or the powers that be just smile more on the kids, and I’m fine with that.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Getting kids out there. - 10/26/19 12:14 PM
Well done Brad
Posted By: gehajake Re: Getting kids out there. - 10/26/19 01:58 PM
Wow, some amazing pictures and great job!
Helping a kid get their first turkey, or any animal, or their first fish is rewarding beyond anything, its better then harvesting it yourself. imo
Those are some super bull elks they killed, congrats to them!
Posted By: Downrigger56304 Re: Getting kids out there. - 10/26/19 08:05 PM
Awesome!!! This flat lander dreams of taking his kids to hunt the ghost of the dark timber some day. Great job
Posted By: Augie Re: Getting kids out there. - 10/27/19 12:22 AM
That's awesome Brad. Always love to see the young ones having success in the field.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Getting kids out there. - 10/27/19 12:27 AM
Any reason to get the kid and adults off the couch I'm all for. Good to see the kids lovin it. Proud times right there. Enjoy every moment you can when you can.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Getting kids out there. - 11/18/19 08:05 PM
I live in a beautiful spot with plenty of hunting opportunities. Think I could get my son out there?

NOPE.

He is glued to electronics with all of his buddies. Getting him out is like pulling teeth, since that is their social circle when not together. It is exceedingly aggravating.

Two of his friends come over to hunt at our house, but he would have difficulty caring less. He sees them perched in a tree stand for hours staring at their phones while waiting for something to pass by, and comments how it is nice and warm inside.

Hopefully he will change as time goes on, I can only gently prod him. He is one stubborn mule. If I push too hard, he will fight me all the way.

I am glad your kid(s) get out with you! Jealous.
© Pond Boss Forum