Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Now that it's snake season..... - 06/14/19 09:13 PM
For any of you that are Facebook people I have found and joined a Facebook page that is very educational concerning the identification of snakes and also good tips on what to do if bitten.

My wife and I enjoy learning about the snakes we may encounter. Because of this Facebook page we're are becoming relatively good at identifying what kind of snake it is when we see a snake. In a lot of parts of Texas almost everything is called a copperhead or a water moccasin...and we are learning that very often that id is not correct.

Whatever you do on the Facebook page don't call a snake "poisonous"...we learned quickly that snakes are not poisonous they are venomous....and the moderators will correct you everytime!....lol

https://www.facebook.com/groups/whatsnakeisthis/
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Now that it's snake season..... - 06/16/19 12:55 PM
Zep, it's good t know that there are people out there that will help others with snake identification and/or will transplant a few to a new home. BUT! for me, I don't like any snake that hangs around my pond. If it's just a water snake, he is eating my fish and if it a Copperrattlemocason or even looks like one from afar, it is removed from the pond area. I did injoy the page. smile
Posted By: Zep Re: Now that it's snake season..... - 06/16/19 03:17 PM
Yes Tracy...I've never liked snakes or bees. But I am a lot less afraid of both now-a-days. I had a small little fiberglass boat in a barn...rats got in there and chewed up all the wiring....now I have a rat snake hanging around that barn and no new damage to repaired boat. So rat snakes will bite you, but generally just wanna get away from you...but they do a number on mice...so I am kind of ok with a non-venomous rat snake....which a lot of people misidentify as a copperhead.
Posted By: gehajake Re: Now that it's snake season..... - 06/16/19 03:46 PM
.so I am kind of ok with a non-venomous rat snake....which a lot of people think is a copperhead.

That page was interesting but the funniest part was the great lengths and detail they will go into to remind you the difference between poison and venomous. and I guess one actually gets crossways with admins for getting it wrong.

Interesting, educational site tho.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Now that it's snake season..... - 06/16/19 11:43 PM
We have an abundance of rat snakes this year. Wasn’t aware they climb trees so well.....
© Pond Boss Forum