Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Fake owls to scare birds around house? - 03/25/18 09:58 PM
anyone had any luck with fake owls to scare off birds around the house?

I have birds pooping on anything I set out on my porch at the pond,
hanging flower baskets, porch railings, chairs, etc.

I know it can't be solved 100%, but do the fake owls help reduce the problem?

https://www.amazon.com/Dtemple-Realistic...s=fake+barn+owl

Posted By: beastman Re: Fake owls to scare birds around house? - 03/26/18 12:16 AM
I use one that has a swivel head that turns in the wind on a dock post.
I rarely see bird poop on dock .
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Fake owls to scare birds around house? - 03/26/18 12:27 AM
Originally Posted By: beastman
I use one that has a swivel head that turns in the wind on a dock post.
I rarely see bird poop on dock .

Do you remember where you got the one with the head that swivels? I would love to get one for the roof of my pump house to see if it will help keep the kingfishers away.
Posted By: Zep Re: Fake owls to scare birds around house? - 03/26/18 12:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Do you remember where you got the one with the head that swivels?

Bill the Amazon link I posted of a fake owl says that owl's head "bobs and turns in gentle breezes".

Amazon Fake Owl
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Fake owls to scare birds around house? - 03/26/18 12:51 AM
Thanks Zep!

I think it is safe to say it will not scare cat size mammals(You can see the tail of what appears to be a cat that is sitting on the ground right behind the table in the advertisement pic) laugh

I might give one a try if I can make up some kind of V-block mounting for the roof.
Posted By: Zep Re: Fake owls to scare birds around house? - 03/26/18 01:02 AM
Bill I think I will try one too...they have a lot of different versions of fake owls on Amazon.

Amazon Fake Owls
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Fake owls to scare birds around house? - 03/26/18 01:48 PM
I had some starlings building nests in soffits of my old garage...a buddy gave me an owl decoy to try and keep them away. It did not work - they would even perch on the decoy. It might work on other birds or animals but not the starlings lol

The moving decoys would probably work much better than the stationary variety
Posted By: RAH Re: Fake owls to scare birds around house? - 03/26/18 02:00 PM
I carved and painted a flat owl sculpture out of wood many years ago and fastened it to a porch column to keep flocks of starlings off the porch and out of some nearby trees at our first home. It worked almost perfectly. It probably depends on the flock of starlings, the quality of the decoy, and the environment where it is used.
Posted By: Bing Re: Fake owls to scare birds around house? - 03/26/18 03:04 PM
Rural King has owl decoys with swiveling head.
© Pond Boss Forum