Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame Wood ducks and fry, Oh my!! - 03/10/18 07:49 PM
Well I guess Spring has officialy arrived here in deep east Texas. Yesterday I spotted a huge school of fry over a stack of submerged wood pallets. Don't know if they are lmb or cnbg. I suspect cnbg. And, a real surprise, a pair of wood ducks on the pond yesterday morning and the female has already been going in and out my new wood duck house I built. This will be 2 years in a row I have ducks in the house!! I only have the one house so I am very pleased. Last year I emptied out the shelled "membranes" of at least 9 little ducklings. Hope I do at least that good this year!! Water temps have been in the 60's and even low 70's for 23 straight days now!!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Wood ducks and fry, Oh my!! - 03/11/18 01:30 PM
Flame, good deal on the wood ducks. I need to move my boxes to different areas and see if I can get woody's nesting. No luck so far.
Posted By: DrLuke Re: Wood ducks and fry, Oh my!! - 03/11/18 08:58 PM
that's awesome! Saw my first pair up north about 5 days ago. I cleaned my houses and counted membranes and rebedded them last month from the ice. I have 6 houses, and 5 had tenants last spring. Only 4 had successful hatches in my estimation via eggs vs membrane counts. The no eggs house had duck traffic, but may be too close to shore and is being robbed (raccoons would be my guess). I raised my water level late last fall, so maybe it's deep enough to keep the shore raiders away this year. If no luck again, I'll have to move it deeper.
We sure enjoy watching the spring migration of ducks.
© Pond Boss Forum