Pond Boss
Posted By: Centrarchid Underwater Game Cameras - 01/03/18 03:32 PM
Anyone tried this? I want to watch what is happening in beaver larder under ice. Game cameras I have not suitable for under water.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/03/18 05:14 PM
Try a go pro. I use one for underwater video and I am happy with it.
Posted By: ewest Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/04/18 05:18 PM
Have used an aqua view but I would go for the go pro as well.
Posted By: snrub Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/04/18 05:47 PM
The aquaview has the advantage of being able to watch it live time to see what you are getting while taking the video. The gopro, unless you are under water with it to see what you might be getting, you have to download the files before you see what you got.

The go pro is better video quality in my opinion.

Any camera at much depth gets the colors washed out pretty quickly without artificial light to bring back the light spectrum. The more turbid the water, the more quickly the short wavelength colors go away with depth.

Aquaview is a littly tricky turning and aiming the camera by raising and lowering the cable and twisting it between thumb and forefinger, but at least what you see is what you get.

Go pro works well if you are able to set up a fixed location and lure the subjects to the camera, for instance with feed. Or if you can see your target from the surface or actually be in the water with a mask on. But that may scare the subject away. Fish can see you under water before you can see them.

Kind of depends on what a person is trying to do. There are low priced go pro clones with underwater housings now that are considerably cheaper. You do need the under water housing with a go pro. I think I have had my GoPro about 5 years and it has been on something over 1,000 dives and about 1100 hours under water. Have had the Aquaview a few years but only used it much the first year. Need to get it out and play with it again.
Posted By: Daniel Powell Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/04/18 06:57 PM
The newer GoPros allow for real time viewing on your phone or tablet via the GoPro app. You can even change the settings and start/stop recording from the app. I've never tried it underwater but I will try to test that shortly and get back to you.
Posted By: ewest Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/04/18 07:56 PM
Originally Posted By: snrub
Any camera at much depth gets the colors washed out pretty quickly without artificial light to bring back the light spectrum. The more turbid the water, the more quickly the short wavelength colors go away with depth.

Aquaview is a littly tricky turning and aiming the camera by raising and lowering the cable and twisting it between thumb and forefinger, but at least what you see is what you get.

Absolutely on point 1 - not like watching color TV. My old model has infra red lighting but no color deeper than about 3-4 feet.
New models appear to fix this but I have not seen one.

On point 2 - that is why I got the adjustable pole. Not easy to use but helpful.
Posted By: snrub Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/05/18 01:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Daniel Powell
The newer GoPros allow for real time viewing on your phone or tablet via the GoPro app. You can even change the settings and start/stop recording from the app. I've never tried it underwater but I will try to test that shortly and get back to you.

Please do try that, but unless they have figured out how to make radio waves travel under water I'm going to guess it will not work. If it does, it would be at very shallow depths.

They do have under water communications now, so maybe they can do it with a go pro.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/05/18 01:14 AM
This thread is going to end up making me spend more money......
Posted By: Daniel Powell Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/05/18 03:21 AM
SNRUB,
Unfortunately you are right. Not because I wanted you to be wrong but because I had big plans for my Go Pro this spring...

I went and pulled the cover off my pool thinking I would be testing how far the range would be. Well, I should have started in the bathtub. As soon as the Go Pro got an inch under water I lost connection. So the Go Pro will be relegated to a start/drop/leave it use, maybe around cover or under the feeder. Or maybe attach it to the bottom of my creek boat underwater and record while paddling around. Either way, I will be recording blind.

Wbuffetjr,
With your handle I wouldn't think spending money would be an issue
:-)
Posted By: snrub Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/05/18 12:34 PM
Next step........, wetsuit, weights, tank, regulator............ grin
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/05/18 01:59 PM

Wbuffetjr,
With your handle I wouldn't think spending money would be an issue
:-)

LMAO!! I wish! My handle is more along the lines of hoping the power of positive thinking makes things come true!
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/05/18 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: snrub

Please do try that, but unless they have figured out how to make radio waves travel under water I'm going to guess it will not work. If it does, it would be at very shallow depths.

They do have under water communications now, so maybe they can do it with a go pro.

I do remember a while back of a mod for the wifi antenna on the go pro. Its just a wire attached that needs to make it above the water line.

video on how to.
Posted By: Daniel Powell Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/06/18 04:42 AM
Awesome tip Dono! I will be trying this soon. Thank you!!
Posted By: Daniel Powell Re: Underwater Game Cameras - 01/08/18 02:47 PM
I ordered 50' of coaxial cable and will be testing this soon. Maybe an easy/cheap solution! Will report back.
© Pond Boss Forum