Pond Boss
Posted By: wbuffetjr Trail cam pics - 10/31/17 12:38 PM
Well.... appears the old trail cam pics thread went to prison soooo here's a new one.

Wish I could have seen this guy while I was out there hunting.

Another big bear
Posted By: KapHn8d Re: Trail cam pics - 10/31/17 01:44 PM
Wow.. those are nice. The elk is spectacular! I keep bees, so I'm cool with not having bears around my place, but they sure are a neat treat to see. My train cam pics by comparison are quite tame... whitetail, coons, possum, gray fox, coyote, etc. No Chupacabra or Bigfoot yet! laugh

/c
Posted By: RAH Re: Trail cam pics - 10/31/17 02:13 PM
Saw a bobcat while hunting yesterday, but no bears or elk in my neck of the woods. Ditto on the elk - wow!
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Trail cam pics - 10/31/17 04:11 PM
Seeing a Bobcat is very lucky in person. I have only seen one once in my life time and if it was not for the dog getting it to turn on him I don't think I would have seen it.

Great picture of the elk. Are they in the rut there now? Our white tail have just started the rut and colour change for winter.
Posted By: RAH Re: Trail cam pics - 10/31/17 04:19 PM
I saw a young bobcat for the first time a few years back while it stalked a squirrel right under my stand. Then it chased it up a tree about 30 feet away and unsuccessfully tried to catch it in the tree before coming down and moving on. I only saw this one while it crossed a trail. It was a good sized cat,
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Trail cam pics - 10/31/17 04:47 PM
Thanks guys. I actually got a bobcat on cam up there for the first time ever this year. No one that I know has ever seen one up that high, but they are there now for some reason.

The elk aren't SUPPOSED to be rutting there now. The archery season was originally supposed to cover most of the elk rut there, but things have definitely changed. I was there until the last day of archery this year and the rut never seemed to kick in. There is a break with no hunting between archery season and the first rifle season, but they are rutting later and seems like the last few years the rut has carried over into the rifle seasons more and more. One of my buddies said they were still bugling like crazy and chasing cows during his rifle hunt. That kind of makes it like shooting fish in a barrel, IMO.

Sure would be nice if CO would adjust the seasons back a week or so, but that will never happen.
Posted By: KapHn8d Re: Trail cam pics - 10/31/17 04:54 PM
Wife and I saw a large bobcat cross a private road 2 miles from our home. She rolled down her window a bit and jokingly said, "here kitty kitty..." to which it stopped in an easement adjacent to the forest, looked over it's shoulder with a you-could-be-lunch glare, and stepped into the woods like a ninja... only time I've been able to get a really good look at one in the wild.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Trail cam pics - 10/31/17 05:54 PM
We've seen two over the course of the last three years. Or maybe seen the same one twice. Very cool animals, I like the idea of them being around. Certainly not worried about them where personal safety is concerned.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Trail cam pics - 10/31/17 09:39 PM
This is from 5 years ago but it was still kinda freaky to find this mangy coyote on the trailcam (cool 8 second video to go with it).

Especially considering the date, and we had a full moon that night. Ha!

Attached picture mange coyote.jpg
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Trail cam pics - 11/01/17 12:02 PM
Wow! He is UGLY!!
Posted By: DrLuke Re: Trail cam pics - 11/02/17 12:00 AM
I used to wonder if bobcats were big enough to go after deer. After I caught this on camera, I don't wonder anymore...

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Trail cam pics - 11/02/17 10:29 AM
Neat pic
Posted By: RAH Re: Trail cam pics - 11/02/17 10:38 AM
The evening that I saw the bobcat, I did not see any deer. Cats are powerful animals. Saw 6 deer Tuesday evening and 2 last night. Have not yet seen a shooter buck. The young ones are rubbing, scraping, and slowly following does. It should heat up soon.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Trail cam pics - 11/02/17 11:59 AM
Very cool pic! I actually had started a thread on here with a sequence of four pics my buddy's cam got of a bobcat killing a deer. The thread is gone for some reason. I had also underestimated what a bobcat can do. I figured they could only take fawns but that is dead wrong.
Posted By: Smoke68 Re: Trail cam pics - 11/02/17 02:25 PM
This is from a few years ago, but it's one of the best videos I've ever gotten. Coyote starts a chase with a buck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs0ZcK9zpyE
Posted By: KapHn8d Re: Trail cam pics - 11/02/17 03:40 PM
Nice! I like the portion where you just see the reflection of the eyes popping up at the edge of the throw... like they are both trying to figure out what the next move is... haha...

/c

Originally Posted By: Smoke68
This is from a few years ago, but it's one of the best videos I've ever gotten. Coyote starts a chase with a buck
Posted By: KapHn8d Re: Trail cam pics - 11/02/17 03:48 PM
My dad has a lot of exotics on his high-fenced ranch in the Texas hill country. A few years back, he was checking fence line and noticed an unusual area of disturbed grass/leaves. When he walked up on it, it was a partially eaten 95 lb blackbuck antelope covered with leaves. He called a trapper out and they ended up finding the 30-ish pound bobcat that took it down. Cats are designed in every way to be pure killing machines.

/clayton

(looked like this fella before it's untimely run-in with the 'ole puddy tat)

Originally Posted By: DrLuke
I used to wonder if bobcats were big enough to go after deer. After I caught this on camera, I don't wonder anymore...
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Trail cam pics - 11/02/17 09:18 PM
Here are our 4 biggest this year. First one I would estimate is around 150-160"

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Trail cam pics - 11/03/17 12:34 AM
That's great Chris
Posted By: Tbar Re: Trail cam pics - 11/03/17 02:28 PM
Not bad for an east Texas deer.

Little bobcat.

Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Trail cam pics - 11/03/17 02:52 PM
VERY nice bucks fellas!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Trail cam pics - 11/05/17 01:44 PM
I have to agree with Dave Chris, nice bucks and Tbar, everyone knows the deer in E Texas are small. Shush! Don't tell smile
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Trail cam pics - 11/06/17 02:04 PM
Tbar, I forgot to say that is a really nice mature buck. He is built like a thorough bred horse
Posted By: Tbar Re: Trail cam pics - 11/06/17 04:31 PM
Bad news. Look what I found on one of my trail cams. 30 minutes after I sent his picture to the game warden they knew who he was.

Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Trail cam pics - 11/06/17 04:59 PM
Did the GW catch him?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Trail cam pics - 11/06/17 05:01 PM
Tbar, don't leave us hanging!!!

What's the story???
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Trail cam pics - 11/06/17 05:10 PM
yes! and what is he holding in his right hand?
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Trail cam pics - 11/06/17 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
yes! and what is he holding in his right hand?

Dog tracking remote
Posted By: Sunil Re: Trail cam pics - 11/06/17 06:47 PM
Are those hog-hunting dogs??
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Trail cam pics - 11/06/17 07:19 PM
Looks that way..... pit bull
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Trail cam pics - 11/06/17 07:25 PM
Yes.

See the vest on the dog he has on the leash? That is a catch dog. The others are bay dogs most likely.
Posted By: Tbar Re: Trail cam pics - 11/06/17 10:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Did the GW catch him?

Said they were building a case against him. Guess they want to compile mine with other complaints.

This is a hog dogger. Many do not respect property boundaries. The pendant around his neck is a gps tracking device following one of the dogs.

He is known to the game wardens. They describe him as:
"A big time trespasser. He does not care about boundaries or property lines. Goes where he wants. He will trespass to hunt more than just hogs."
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Trail cam pics - 11/06/17 11:55 PM
Have any of you guys heard a bobcat at night when they are looking to mate?

I have to say it is the most creepiest sound that if you didn't know what it was you would swear some one is getting killed by bare hands.

If I heard that in the middle of the night while camping in a tent I would be loading into the truck and leaving with out my tent and gear.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Trail cam pics - 11/07/17 12:09 AM
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD

I have to say it is the most creepiest sound that if you didn't know what it was you would swear some one is getting killed by bare hands.

If I heard that in the middle of the night while camping in a tent I would be loading into the truck and leaving with out my tent and gear.

LOL! Several years ago my sister called the sheriff on one. The deputies heard it as well when they arrived and spent a couple hours looking for the murder scene! laugh
Posted By: Sunil Re: Trail cam pics - 11/07/17 01:17 AM
So if you came upon this Hogger on your land, is the threat of being mauled by his dogs an implied threat to you, as the land owner (my question mark key is not working).
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Trail cam pics - 11/07/17 12:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD

LOL! Several years ago my sister called the sheriff on one. The deputies heard it as well when they arrived and spent a couple hours looking for the murder scene! laugh

Too funny, I could really see that happening. They are the most scarcest thing I have every heard.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Trail cam pics - 11/07/17 09:32 PM
So what happens if you come across this Hogger with his dogs on your property?
Posted By: Tbar Re: Trail cam pics - 11/08/17 02:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
So what happens if you come across this Hogger with his dogs on your property?

Call the game warden.........
Posted By: esshup Re: Trail cam pics - 11/10/17 04:53 PM
Here's some from the places that I hunt.

Posted By: RAH Re: Trail cam pics - 11/10/17 07:05 PM
My cam had 277 pics in the last two days but was facing toward the sun so I assumed a bunch of false flashes. Nope, 3 raccoon pics and 274 deer pics. Most of does but also a half dozen different bucks. None are shooters, but one may be next year. Tall 9-pt, but not wide and not enough mass.
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Trail cam pics - 11/10/17 08:35 PM
squirrels keep knocking the 12v power cord out of my camera lol I added the feed box and a fresh mineral salt block a few weeks ago to the feeding site off my back deck. Seems to be pretty popular lately...

There's been quite a bit of traffic but no bruisers yet.

Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Trail cam pics - 11/10/17 08:39 PM
That feeder keep the racoons out? We can't seem to find a way to feed the deer corn with out every racoon in five miles dropping in an trying to eat it all.
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Trail cam pics - 11/13/17 07:26 PM
The largest raccoons are just tall enough to stand on their hind legs and scoop a small bit of corn out...if it was 6" taller there would be no way for them to steal any corn. They try like crazy to climb the old fence post, however. It is fairly entertaining to see them try
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Trail cam pics - 11/15/17 02:30 PM
Funny story I was told to by my son. He was headed to a tree stand early morning. it was dark. he walked up on a corn feeder where a coon was standing on his back feet and was holding his front paws(hands) up in the air. like he was told hands up! He was facing my son this way protecting the feeder and showing his teeth. John stopped and did not know what or where to go lol It was a Standoff for a min or two smile Coon finally gave up and left. John said it was a really big coon lol
Posted By: KapHn8d Re: Trail cam pics - 11/15/17 02:55 PM
I had three coons coming nightly to my place and providing all sorts of antics on my trail cam... they can be quite entertaining!

/c

Originally Posted By: TGW1
Funny story I was told to by my son. He was headed to a tree stand early morning. it was dark. he walked up on a corn feeder where a coon was standing on his back feet and was holding his front paws(hands) up in the air. like he was told hands up! He was facing my son this way protecting the feeder and showing his teeth. John stopped and did not know what or where to go lol It was a Standoff for a min or two smile Coon finally gave up and left. John said it was a really big coon lol
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Trail cam pics - 01/03/18 12:59 PM
Purty cat at the cabin! To add to the list of why I can't wait to live out there.... being able to do some predator hunting.

Posted By: TGW1 Re: Trail cam pics - 01/03/18 01:53 PM
Hard for me to tell if it's a bobcat or a Lynx?
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Trail cam pics - 01/03/18 02:00 PM
I am assuming it's a resident bobcat. I have gotten one or two on cam around there in the last year. Haven't gotten a lynx yet.

He does have some big ear tufts though. Maybe just his Winter coat?
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Trail cam pics - 01/10/18 05:25 PM
I had a few decent bucks roam through in the last couple of months - one big bobcat, no fox lately.

Here's my most frequent visitors. The buck must have ran into a few big bruisers throughout the rut this year. My young doe is doing very well as is her mom, they visit daily.

Attached picture MFDC9360.JPG
Attached picture MFDC9792.JPG
Posted By: Daniel Powell Re: Trail cam pics - 01/11/18 02:37 PM
Here in SC our deer dont hold a candle to the midwest or Texas deer. We have lots of them but they just dont get as big. Bobcats and foxes on the other hand are pretty common here. I see a bobcat or two in the stand every year and I have one stand where I see foxes almost every hunt. I watched a big bobcat stand down a grown doe. She had a baby with her and was trying to run him off by slowly getting closer to him while stomping her foot. He just sat there looking at her until she got within 20 yards. He then moved into a crouched position – ready to jump. She reversed her direction –walking backwards- but kept stomping. After she got 50 yards away, she turn and ran with her baby. She knew better than to tangle with a 30+ pound cat!

I had a great year this year and we ended on a high note. This was my 12 year old daughter's first year hunting and my 10 year old son's 3rd. My daughter went with us last year a few times but was never behind the gun. Towards the end of the year she expressed an interest in shooting but it never worked out. I had 2 deer on camera this year that I wanted to hunt. I took one of them early season. The other I bow hunted all year and he never showed. The last 2 weeks of the season I popped up a ground blind to let the kids hunt this spot. Wouldn't you know the last afternoon the big boy showed up with my daughter behind the gun! She made a great shot and I shook like a leaf for 20 minutes. It was much better than it would have been if I took him - even with the bow!
To top that off, I had the chance to take my son to a friend's land on youth day and he also scored his biggest deer ever. And just to make it a little more impressive, both days they took these deer it was extremely cold for SC. Single digits in the morning with the highs well below freezing all day. Both of them wanted to go – I tried to talk them out of it. All in all, a great year.

Now it’s time to get to work on the fishing!

Attached picture B-Buck.jpg
Attached picture H-Buck.jpg
Attached picture B-Buck2.jpg
Attached picture DP-Buck.jpg
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Trail cam pics - 01/11/18 06:00 PM
That is awesome!! They will remember it forever!
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Trail cam pics - 01/11/18 08:19 PM
No doubt! Nice deer!!!
Posted By: kswaterfowler Re: Trail cam pics - 01/12/18 11:09 PM
I’ve got a 180” deer on camera can’t figure out how to post the pic here
Posted By: Daniel Powell Re: Trail cam pics - 01/12/18 11:18 PM
Hey KS,

Click on "switch to full reply screen" below.
Below the text input area, click "file manager"
Click "choose file" and browse to your pic and select it.
Click "add file"

Note max 2MB size
Posted By: kswaterfowler Re: Trail cam pics - 01/13/18 12:32 AM
It gives me a message that It needs a .jpeg or similar. It’s saved on my iPhone.
Posted By: Daniel Powell Re: Trail cam pics - 01/13/18 01:29 AM
What file type do you have? Maybe try taking a screenshot of the pic on your phone and see if it will let you upload the screenshot.
Posted By: Daniel Powell Re: Trail cam pics - 01/13/18 01:47 AM
Since this thread is about trailcam pics and not kill pics -sorry about that- I will post a few from this year and a funny one I have from a while back.

Attached picture HUNT0392.JPG
Attached picture HUNT0395.JPG
Attached picture HUNT0907.JPG
Attached picture PICT0754-1.jpg
Posted By: kswaterfowler Re: Trail cam pics - 01/13/18 08:34 PM
Trying this hope the pics show up

Attached picture BC4CDDE8-14AC-4BC2-A66C-1F498B55ACF0.png
Attached picture 3356B091-CE2C-43AF-914D-0EEAAAD20E27.png
Attached picture 7A364A61-319F-4E02-9118-86DD5C847882.png
Posted By: Redonthehead Re: Trail cam pics - 01/13/18 08:59 PM
THAT is a buck dreams are made of! Did anyone get him?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Trail cam pics - 01/13/18 09:00 PM
Nice!
Posted By: RAH Re: Trail cam pics - 01/14/18 12:01 AM
That is what keeps me hunting!
Posted By: kswaterfowler Re: Trail cam pics - 01/14/18 12:21 AM
To my knowledge he is alive and well. Last pic was mid December after rifle season.
My property sits just off a few thousand acres of no hunting USFWS land. In the 5 years I have owned it we have had a lot of big deer on camera. The first year I ever shot was last year 163 1/8. I had him on camera and my second sit at 715 he showed up. Shot a smaller buck this year that looked a lot bigger than he ended up being.
Some more pics

Attached picture 9A413CAA-4137-49AE-9492-E76AF769A192.png
Attached picture 98426D0A-57B6-49A8-9F89-85098E289403.png
Attached picture 065C4FCA-D9A0-41F1-AB82-F1D9D19120D0.png
Posted By: RAH Re: Trail cam pics - 01/14/18 12:41 AM
I have yet to break 170". We have new hunters in the area and this is the first time in a decade that I did not harvest a trophy. A few landowners in the area with different goals can change things fast. I am considering a large investment in some 6' fence on some of my property lines although I don't like this alternative.
Posted By: kswaterfowler Re: Trail cam pics - 01/14/18 12:51 AM
My cousin has access to some great land. His minimum is 150”. I helped him blood trail and recover his 160” 10 point a month ago.
Posted By: Daniel Powell Re: Trail cam pics - 01/14/18 01:51 AM
Good grief! Now those are great bucks!! Hopefully they make it till next season and you guys get a chance to take them.
Posted By: RAH Re: Trail cam pics - 01/14/18 11:51 AM
A bit smaller - Maybe next year? He presented himself during the season multiple times but I resisted. Came up empty taking a buck for the first time in a decade, but if I don't pass on these, I'll never break 170". I caught a similar 10pt also with small brows at night, but never saw him. Deleted that pic as it was early in the season and I expected better.

Posted By: TGW1 Re: Trail cam pics - 01/14/18 12:39 PM
Your pic's show how nice the bucks can get in Kansas. A couple of Horses for sure! It's all about the food available to them and Kansas has THAT!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Trail cam pics - 01/14/18 12:40 PM
Opps!

© Pond Boss Forum