Pond Boss
Posted By: SetterGuy Sheds are dropping in Mo, Bird dog no help - 03/09/17 04:16 PM
Was at the pond last night, and this morning. These weren't there last night. I was trying to get the dog interested.. I did all the shed hunting, while he worked squirrels. Ha!
Setterguy, nice shed find and I love your G.wirehair. I have been doing some reading on them and that bred holds good possibilities for being my retirement dog even though that will be many years away. I can't help to dream of the day when I can spend all day with a dog and I want the breed to suit my needs. Squirrel hunting is a past time of mine, it's nice to hear that your dog is interested in them. I don't really want a tree dog, but more of a squirrel retriever. Can't say how many squirrels I've lost to the weeds thinking that they were dead, but not dead enough to crawl off while I waited his buddy out.
He's interested in everything. Points solidly, retrieves like a maniac. He's my retirement dog. I just got him a few years too early. Hopefully, he will slow down a bit, as I get closer to retirement. He's a bit on the hyper side right now. He did just turn one a few weeks, ago, so he's still pretty much a pup. He's my buddy though. Now my wife,, she's not too happy with him. He gets bored a little easy. When bored he gets a little destructive. He's lost his "in house" privileges for now..
FYI, he's actually a German Drathaar, pretty much the same dog as a German Wirehair.
I think our 2 yr old female bloodhound would find sheds. I think they shed about a month ago here.
Originally Posted By: SetterGuy
Was at the pond last night, and this morning. These weren't there last night. I was trying to get the dog interested.. I did all the shed hunting, while he worked squirrels. Ha!

I had to chuckle when I saw this. The expression on the dog's face. Kind of like, "I like this man but can somebody tell him these are not birds!"
I never met a dog with a good poker face. This one looks to me to be saying " Ummm not a lot of meat on them is there". Congrats on the sheds.
Yep! Very intelligent dog. He tried to get The Man focused on squirrels where there was at least meat on the bones but The Man's preference was hunks of old antlers! The dog obviously pities The Man's hunting skills but will try to teach him.
FYI, he's going to the vet this morning to get "fixed". I think maybe he has intuition, and knew yesterday, what was coming today.. I'd be sad too!
© Pond Boss Forum