Pond Boss
Posted By: Joe Fisherman Otters Vs FHM - 03/06/17 09:24 PM
I have a deal with my wife to leave the otters alone and let them destroy what's left of the existing fish population that was there from before we bought the property. It's almost completely decimated at this point any way. I figure when there are no fish left they will move on. In exchange, when I do get the pond stocked, the moment an otter shows himself I can take care of it as I see fit(12ga, 20ga, .357 air rifle, etc) with no questions asked.

I'm just wondering if it would be safe in your guy's opinion to go ahead and stock FHM and if there would be any danger posed by the otters still being there. I don't figure the buggers would waste their time with minnows but thought I would ask the experts.
Posted By: RER Re: Otters Vs FHM - 03/06/17 10:08 PM
what is in the pond now. Otters will not get them all. FHM might just be eaten up quickly by the remaining predators.
Posted By: Shelby County Re: Otters Vs FHM - 03/06/17 10:30 PM
Bobby is right Joe. There will always be left over predators for a variety of reasons. When you get to the point of doing something positive go the rotenone route and take out all of the fish! THEN stock what you want from scratch. It will be cheaper, more efficient, and more satisfying in the long run. Make your restocking plan carefully for when, what variety, how many, etc. Stocking times and rates are very important! Study up!
Tom Sterling (Shelby County).
© Pond Boss Forum