Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame How much do g blue heron eat? - 12/15/16 12:30 PM
My lone gbh on my 2 acre pond will not leave. He is seen stalking every day. I read everywhere what they eat and how they eat but does anyone have info on actually HOW MUCH do they eat?? Pounds per day?? Mine looks to be full grown. He is huge! How long it takes them to digest?
Posted By: Zep Re: How much do g blue heron eat? - 12/15/16 02:26 PM
they are smart s.o.b's

Posted By: Tbar Re: How much do g blue heron eat? - 12/15/16 02:42 PM
I was hunting hogs last night with the thermal scope and saw a GBH feeding/moving along the shore line at 10:30pm. If he feeds day and night it doesn't bode well for my fish.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: How much do g blue heron eat? - 12/15/16 02:43 PM
GBH=Natures Fisherman
Posted By: basslover Re: How much do g blue heron eat? - 12/15/16 02:45 PM
Bottle rockets, roman candles, M80s, R/C controlled helicopter or boat are all interesting toys to enjoy while an unwanted and uninvited trespasser is around...
Posted By: esshup Re: How much do g blue heron eat? - 12/24/16 02:21 PM
I've had them stab and kill fish that were too big for them to eat, so................

2 years ago I had 200 4"-6" HSB in a cage that I was feeding and growing for sale in the Fall. Put them in the cage in early June.

Come Oct 1, I pulled up the cage to get 50 out for a client. I had seen a GBH standing on top of the cage a few times and I ran him/her off. (no net on top of the cage)

I had 24 HSB in the cage........

So my answer to how many they eat is too many for me.
Posted By: Vortex 4 Re: How much do g blue heron eat? - 02/09/19 01:56 PM
Same question. I like my GBH. He seems to eat mid sized bluegill which is OK, I have a lot and they are constantly making more. I can a afford a couple of even a few a day.

There is nothing I can find on how much they eat. You would think this would be studied by an Aggie somewhere.
© Pond Boss Forum