Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame controlling GBH question - 07/30/16 02:56 PM
My 2 acre pond is under attack from what appears to be only one GBH. I am going to run mono fishing line about 3 foot tall and maybe 2 strands in the areas where he usually feeds. (near my fish feeder). My question is on shoreline water edge fluctuation due to drought and floods. I am about 1 and 1/2 foot low right now which puts the water about 5 foot from the normal pool line. Where should I place the monofilament fence? Am I going to have to be constantly moving it? Any suggestions? Will they not "land" directly into water? Must they walk up to the water? Only one side of the pond is sloped enough for him to utilize. the other is very steep.
Posted By: dg84s Re: controlling GBH question - 07/30/16 06:03 PM
I also have a pesky GBH who treats my pond as his cafeteria. After seeing him/her swimming I gave up any idea of GBH prevention that didn't include shotshells...but that's against the law.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=grea...amp;FORM=VDQVAP
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: controlling GBH question - 07/30/16 10:04 PM
Yep, that's against the law. No self respecting Texan would resort to gunfire to protect his investment. Well, not all would. Maybe not even most. Can't be sure.
Posted By: Flame Re: controlling GBH question - 07/30/16 10:45 PM
After seeing that video I realize just fencing off the area near the feeder might help but if they want your fish bad enough they will get it!! I have thousands of cnbg and would not miss a few. But my new lmb are only about 8 inch long and they enjoy hanging around the shallow water to feed. Only stocked 50 of them. Don't want to be feeding them to the heron!!!
Posted By: dg84s Re: controlling GBH question - 07/30/16 11:22 PM
I don't feed my fish, so where the GBH will choose to feed in my pond is unpredictable. However, since your feeder disperses in the same area repeatedly and that activity rings the GBH's dinner bell, why not tie a few mylar balloons to bricks and anchor them at various heights over the water near where you have seen your fish feeding? The varying movement from wind and reflections may scare the GBH from the most vulnerable LMB area. It would be a cheap experiment.
Posted By: Flame Re: controlling GBH question - 08/01/16 10:15 PM
I like that Dave... just can't be sure. Great video dg84s.
Posted By: woodster Re: controlling GBH question - 08/02/16 01:25 AM
I seldom see more than one around my pond or a fight brakes out. I find that if I put up a bright colored string like masons line it will frustrate them and they move on. The key for me is to place it in the water about a foot deep and a foot above the water. A stake every 10 feet or so and they leave. I do this every year to protect my spawning Pumpkinseeds.

I know of another fellow who shot one and a warden caught him. He said he was just trying to feed his family. The warden said he would let him off with a warning but he shouldn't eat any more of them. The warden then said I've never eaten one, what do they taste like? The fellow said "oh kind of like Bald Eagle".
Posted By: Bill D. Re: controlling GBH question - 08/02/16 01:59 AM
We have a lot of GBH around here. Only one at a time shows up at the pond. The first year I tried scaring them with an air horn and that worked like twice. Then I tried going to the pond and throwing rocks....they just flew to the other side of the pond. They would actually taunt me by landing on the roof of the house! Then I read up on the law and found it is legal to "harass" GBH but not kill them so.....I brought my old 22 from back home and started "harassing" any of them I saw by putting a round in the water a foot or two from them. That works great! If one comes by now, and they seldom do, if I walk out on the deck they just sit there. If I walk out on the deck with the old 22 they leave immediately with me never firing a shot.
Posted By: nehunter Re: controlling GBH question - 08/02/16 09:34 AM

when we were young and set bank lines on the creek we caught GBH on our fishing line when we used BG as bait set one or two inches deep so they would only have a 1 to 1 1/2 foot circle swim area. Make sure it is legal to put banklines on a pond in your state. You may want to bait only in the day time or you maybe catching a lot of fish.
© Pond Boss Forum