Pond Boss
Posted By: RRWJ Primrose for deer food plot - 07/16/16 01:03 AM
I let the primrose go one year and in oct. when we started bow hunting we were noticing a lot of tracks around the pond.It was a dry fall and just th.ought they were watering.One night I set and watched and a doe waded out belly deep and started eating. At first I assumed she was hot and drinking and then I realized she was eating. I didnt think about the primrose at first and thought she was eating moss. But it was the primrose for sure. That the only one I saw wading but they were on the banks every night when we came out. Ive decided a guy is never gona see it all but for sure IT IS GOOD
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Primrose for deer food plot - 07/25/16 07:14 PM
Wow....that's awesome! I have that all the way around my big pond. Maybe I'll draw a big boy in for a snack?
Posted By: CMM Re: Primrose for deer food plot - 07/26/16 12:10 AM
When I had horses, they loved it. Nice to know that deer like it too.
Posted By: RAH Re: Primrose for deer food plot - 07/26/16 09:58 AM
What species of primrose are you discussing?
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Primrose for deer food plot - 07/26/16 02:06 PM
Ooh...good question RAH....I assumed Water Primrose. I've got that most of the way around the shoreline of the big pond.

I personally like the stuff. It's a great filter for water clarity, it provides good cover for forage through the growing season (but then dies off in fall to give the forage a chance to be eaten), and in my pond which has fairly steep banks it doesn't go out terribly far.

A possible food source for deer would be pure gravy.
Posted By: RAH Re: Primrose for deer food plot - 07/26/16 04:56 PM
It seems like this plant is considered an exotic invasive, or do I have that wrong? BTW - I once saw a deer eating submerged aquatic plants in one of my duck ponds as though it were a moose.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Primrose for deer food plot - 07/26/16 04:57 PM
I don't think we know for sure which plant we are talking about yet.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Primrose for deer food plot - 07/26/16 05:07 PM
I believe Bill Cody indicated some weeks back that in northern venues Water Primrose is mostly accepted as a decent aquatic plant. But in the areas of the country where a hard freeze doesn't happen or at least not often it can be very invasive.

Mine will go years sometimes without blooming/coming on, no idea why. This is the first year since 2011 that I've had what I'd call 'mostly full' coverage, which means to me that 70-80% of the bankline has it.
Posted By: RAH Re: Primrose for deer food plot - 07/26/16 05:28 PM
Looks like there are various species as well so it likely depends on what species is being considered.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Primrose for deer food plot - 07/26/16 05:43 PM
That wouldn't be my first choice for a food plot though...
Posted By: RRWJ Re: Primrose for deer food plot - 08/01/16 10:22 PM
Originally Posted By: RC51
That wouldn't be my first choice for a food plot though...
X2 thats for sure, I just thought it was intersting. The best food plot Ive got is a 10ac creek bot thats been planted to oaks. I let it go after planting to give oks some light competition so they wouldnt grow like bushes. So after 10 yrs I started mowing every thing but the oaks. I had to saw a lot of stuff first,big job.But now I mow it once a year in Aug. The deer simply love the buds of the tender new growth.I think better than beans or corn until it gets cold.
© Pond Boss Forum