Pond Boss
Posted By: ThePondDragon Hooded Mergansers - 03/09/16 09:39 PM
I am wondering if i should worry about a pair of mergansers on my pond. The worry is that it is full of FHM and I'm wondering if i should worry about them making an impact on them. If i should worry what do i do? Go to the gun safe?

Ya, now it's two pair
Posted By: ToddM Re: Hooded Mergansers - 03/09/16 10:37 PM
I'd have a hard time shooing away such a beautiful duck. Look at them as just a few more predators. Heck I'd be willing to buy 10 more pounds of fat heads to let them stick around. They are relatively small compared to other ducks, how much can they eat really?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Hooded Mergansers - 03/09/16 10:50 PM
I am happy when I see them on my pond. IMO they are not a concern like herons or cormorants. They just eat a few small fish and they sure are pretty to look at. I only get transients that stop by to rest a day or so during migration.
Posted By: ThePondDragon Re: Hooded Mergansers - 03/09/16 11:25 PM
Ok thanks. I was getting worried. They are multiplying.
Posted By: stickem' Re: Hooded Mergansers - 03/10/16 01:27 AM
We rarely get to see hooded mergansers down south here in east Texas. They are a diver and do consume fish, but I understand that they feed on aquatic insects and crawfish as well. Beautiful species of duck. Haven't seen one in the wild in about 30 years...I'd give up a few BG and FHM to have some hang around my place.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Hooded Mergansers - 03/10/16 01:50 AM
+1 I would gladly sacrifice some fish for that pleasure also
Posted By: BrianL Re: Hooded Mergansers - 03/10/16 04:18 PM
Originally Posted By: stickem'
We rarely get to see hooded mergansers down south here in east Texas. They are a diver and do consume fish, but I understand that they feed on aquatic insects and crawfish as well. Beautiful species of duck. Haven't seen one in the wild in about 30 years...I'd give up a few BG and FHM to have some hang around my place.

I chased a pair off my pond in Paris Monday, so they are around here. I don't want any geese or ducks taking put residence around our pond since it will be a swimming pond too. I had 4 geese one day, and hard to believe how much poop they left.
Posted By: stickem' Re: Hooded Mergansers - 03/10/16 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By: BrianL
Originally Posted By: stickem'

I chased a pair off my pond in Paris Monday, so they are around here. I don't want any geese or ducks taking put residence around our pond since it will be a swimming pond too. I had 4 geese one day, and hard to believe how much poop they left.

Yes I agree with the ducks and geese. Where I grew up in SW Louisiana, we raised some ducks and geese...they can sure upset the serenity and aesthetic qualities of a backyard. But, they throw down some serious fertilizer....
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Hooded Mergansers - 03/11/16 12:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
+1 I would gladly sacrifice some fish for that pleasure also

Pat, I have a pair of Hooded Mergansers hanging out in the Bayou that passes through my place, but I have not seen them @ the pond. But the Bald Eagle is at the pond Everyday and has been there ever since the Tp died off in late January. I have mixed emotions because he is eating some of my fish, but I think it is worth it when I see him everyday. smile I might have to adjust my fish stocking this spring to accommodate him hanging out.

Tracy

Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Hooded Mergansers - 03/11/16 01:59 PM
I never did see any dieing TP other than the one that was floundering around. We had a bald eagle come to a hog carcass but not to the lake. That is so cool to have the opportunity to see the mergansers around
© Pond Boss Forum