Pond Boss
Posted By: gully washer Duck Identity? - 02/10/16 05:19 AM
Can anyone please tell me what model duck this is? It has been hanging around my pond all alone for the past few days. I scoured a couple of duck ID sites to no avail. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a domesticated hybrid of some sort because it doesn't seem to be as paranoid as a wild duck, and it's rather large. It keeps its distance from me, but it doesn't freak out and take off like a wild duck normally would.

When it flaps its wings they appear to be predominately white, and the dark colored feathers look to be either black or green, depending on the light.

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Duck Identity? - 02/10/16 10:10 AM
Muscovy maybe?
Posted By: airborne3118 Re: Duck Identity? - 02/10/16 10:14 AM
Muscovy hen (female). Not uncommon for them to fly short distance to seek out new food sources if neglected.

Very good eating duck, good egg layers, and excellent for insect control. They poop like a rocket so watch out but other than that they are kinda neat to have around.
Posted By: stickem' Re: Duck Identity? - 02/10/16 12:15 PM
Definitely got some muscovy genes in it for the most part.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Duck Identity? - 02/10/16 01:46 PM
I'll vote Domestic Muscovy, Cairina moschata forma domestica
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Duck Identity? - 02/10/16 04:08 PM
Muscovy/ mallard mix?
Posted By: RAH Re: Duck Identity? - 02/11/16 12:32 AM
No reason to say a mix. I raised muscovy ducks as a kid and thsi pic looks pretty clearly a muscovy.
Posted By: Bernie H. Re: Duck Identity? - 02/11/16 12:55 AM
Muscovy for sure. Years ago I had bought some white ducks for my pond.
After a few months I noticed this ugly duck visiting my pond. He would leave my neighbors pond on the other side of our road and cr
os thru my next door neighbor's back yard and then down to my pond.

Ruth took great pride in her back yard. She mowed it three times a week and had it all set for their family sunday outing. Monday,her husband came over as soon as I got home from work. After 20 minutes of small talk,he told me that every day that duck strolled thru their yard he flew up on their picnic table and pooped.

With their new table cloth on,sunday was the last straw. He wanted to know what I was going to do about it.I said,"jerry,I'm not going to do anything about it!" "Why not,he said?" Cuz it's not my duck!

A couple hours later,I heard a shotgun blast. Ruth sent over a plate of roast duck the next day! IT WAS VERY GOOD.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Duck Identity? - 02/11/16 01:57 AM
Great story Bernie!
Posted By: gully washer Re: Duck Identity? - 02/11/16 02:50 AM
Thanks for the help guys......... So, apparently it's a domesticated Muscovy, which I'm guessing has gone feral. As long as it doesn't bring along any friends or produce offspring, I'll leave it be. I just hope it doesn't discourage the occasional wild duck visitors.

For the past 2 years, a pair of Mexican Whistling Ducks have spent the Summer on this pond. They are certainly a prettier duck than is the Muscovy, and don't seem to make a mess, but heck, all they do is stand motionless in the shallows all day on 1 foot. At least the Muscovy is fun to watch as it splashes around actin' a fool. lol

That's a funny story Bernie!
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Duck Identity? - 02/11/16 03:11 AM
They are supposed to eat lots of ticks.
Posted By: JKB Re: Duck Identity? - 02/11/16 03:48 AM
There was this White Duck with an Orange crown on it's head that would walk up and down the road during winter up here. Seen it a number of times just moving about, but really moved slow like it might have a hard time walking with the feet getting stuck, or maybe tired.

Really strange duck!

Posted By: Bob-O Re: Duck Identity? - 02/11/16 01:14 PM
Possesion is 90% of the law. Maybe Ruth could cook up a Valentines day dinner.
© Pond Boss Forum