Pond Boss
Posted By: Snakebite Asian carps feasting - 11/27/15 06:08 PM
We did a little bit of big water fishing lately. Amazing to see these Asian carps on the surface in large groups hundred plus. Wondering what the were snacking on we pulled up and dipped a net in. Apparently feasting on a late shad hatch coming off flooded crop floods. Sad these things are taking so much away from the other fish in the rivers. We put a dent in them, 31 boated all in the 10-20lb range.

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Asian carps feasting - 11/27/15 06:34 PM
They don't look like they're getting enough to eat. Muddy water eliminating phytoplankton which they feed on?
Posted By: Snakebite Re: Asian carps feasting - 11/27/15 07:01 PM
Cecil I believe there are two versions of the Asian carps this is the big headed version. I can't recall ever seeing the big heads with a body to match. Also these rarely go airborne like the other.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Asian carps feasting - 11/27/15 07:30 PM
Thought it was going to be something like this. I think these are snake heads.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Asian carps feasting - 11/27/15 11:26 PM
That's amazing Don.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Asian carps feasting - 11/28/15 12:25 AM
That Catfish is seriously hurting for some chow. I don't recall the mouth being as big on Asian (Silver) carp...

Cruising flooded areas at the Missouri/Mississippi confluence
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Asian carps feasting - 11/28/15 01:19 AM
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Thought it was going to be something like this. I think these are snake heads.

Cheers Don.

I see the guy taking the video stood way back and had the old lady throw in the chow. MIL perhaps? grin
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Asian carps feasting - 11/28/15 04:25 AM
Has anyone tried to skeet shoot them as the jump up? Seems like it would be a blast!
Posted By: CMM Re: Asian carps feasting - 11/28/15 01:33 PM
I've seen video of people shooting them with bows as they jump. Not with a shot gun though, sounds fun!
Posted By: Snakebite Re: Asian carps feasting - 11/28/15 02:32 PM
We use baseball bats and get them with motor up high in 10ft or less water. Someone in the boat still usually gets slimmed. If a 30Lb+ get in the boat man can they break some rods.
© Pond Boss Forum