Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame Bird ID please - 05/31/15 02:02 PM
No photo but a medium sized all black bird (about the size of a crow) has been walking the ponds edge. He will stay about 100 ft from me. Has about a 3" long pointed beak. My fhm were feeding at the waters edge and he stabbed them and I saw him with 2 in his mouth about 2 and 1/2 inch long. I hollard at him and he dropped one on the bank and flew off. Wingspan of maybe 18 inches. I put the fhm back in the pond and he took off. Any ideas? Is that a snipe? Should I be too concerned?
Posted By: TW Houk Re: Bird ID please - 05/31/15 02:18 PM
I am guessing by your description it is a black Heron.They are the mini great blue, but much braver when it comes to people. He will eat some pond creatures but I doubt enough to be a concern. They bother the pond owner more then the ponds I'm sure..
Posted By: Flame Re: Bird ID please - 05/31/15 07:46 PM
Read about a black heron. Looks kind of like it but does not have any kind of head dress and does not spread its wings and feed with the "canopy" technique. Body wise it looks kind of like a sandpiper but all black. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Bird ID please - 05/31/15 08:03 PM
Sounds kind of like a Least Bittern. The males have a black head and back.
Posted By: Flame Re: Bird ID please - 06/01/15 01:13 PM
Bill, Looks a lot like a Least Bittern after viewing photos of some. Only problem is...I assure you it is all black in color. Saw it again just this morning but he flew to a nearby tree before I could get a photo. If it was him I heard he made a screech kind of sound. I looked at other photos. Maybe a little blue heron? Maybe a black egret of some kind? Only about the size of a large crow.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Bird ID please - 06/01/15 02:47 PM
Flame, I have one that hangs out at the pond and I swear he never leaves. He has orange colored legs and feet and a dark purple neck. He is a fish eater for sure, but I have no idea what he is other than I call hem "that dam bird" he is pretty brave and will come within 10 to 15 yds from me with me telling him to get the H E double LL out. Does your bird look like this one? He looks black till u get a close look at him.

Tracy
Posted By: Shorty Re: Bird ID please - 06/01/15 03:55 PM
Might be a Little Blue Heron, they are native to east Texas.

Black Herons are indigenous to Africa.
Posted By: Flame Re: Bird ID please - 06/01/15 05:38 PM
Shorty, I swear my bird looks more like your photo of the black heron than anything else. If they only live in Africa then I better come up with something else. Are there any in the U.S.?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Bird ID please - 06/01/15 06:36 PM
Not that I know of but you never know.

Other possibilities are:
Green Heron

Immature Green Heron

Black Crowned Night Heron (juvenile)

Yellow Crowned Night Heron (juvenile)

American Bittern
Posted By: Flame Re: Bird ID please - 06/01/15 07:25 PM
Thanks for all your help. I will get a photo sooner or later!!
© Pond Boss Forum